iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quaking Aspen

Started by Mikeysmill, March 04, 2006, 05:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikeysmill

I have several large aspen trees on my property that I need to remove...... I hate wasteing anything... ;DHas anybody sawed and used aspen for anything...I really hate to cut them down and just leave the wood rought or burn it. The trees are 14-16 inches in diameter and 50ft. tall so there is a few boards in the trees, but what to do with them?? :-\ :-\ Any input is appreciated!!!!

Gunny

If you can get someone into your site with a portable mill (or already have your own), you might stand to make some very nice boards.  Last I looked at their price schedule--a week ago?--Johnson Lumber in Grand Rapids, MI had their Select Aspen at over $2.70/BF.  That was higher than even the Oaks!  I can't imagine what the big box stores are asking (they usually sell it by the linft and get a small fortune).  Of course, the Johnson price is kiln-dried and the box stores offer it KD, S4S.  The highest wholesale I can remember getting is $1.25 kiln-dried, rough.

Regardless, the lumber often planes to a brilliant white (it's, not surprisingly, often referred to as "White Wood") and takes paint/stain very well.  Crafters. cabinet shops, and molding operations in this area love the stuff for any number of reasons.  I use it for lots of different things and even "grow" barn wood with it.  Leave a log or two on the ground for a year and you'll even find you've grown "spalted" Aspen--a biggee with turners! 

Guess I'd better get before giving away all the secrets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have fun.  Thanks for not buying into the old idea thats it's "gopher wood."

woodmills1

I use it for painted molding and trim, bot inside and out.  I even made an entertainment center out of it.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

simonmeridew

It's a wood--along with a number of other poplers--that is used in cabinet backs and drawers. Very wet wood when green and needs to be stickered and weighted very quickly after being sawn. Often nice clear boards. Machines well, routs well.  I used it on my porch for the ceiling and turned spindles for the balestrades. I trimmed many windows and doors in my house with it.

Logging it can be easy and fun; few branches spread wide apart. But heavy because of all the water.
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

Minnesota_boy

Quaking aspen makes beautiful paneling.  Around some of the knots and sometimes in the heart you will get white, yellow orange and sometimes a little red to make this paneling have good visual appeal.  Saw it green, sticker it with more stickers than you usually do and keep the sun off the top of the pile.  Expect soem of the boards to warp and curl anyway.  Plan for some loss in the pile.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

logwalker

R.O.Casey out of Minden, Nevada used to log it  to sell to the big casket companies. Seems they used it to line thier high dollar units. But that was over 30 years ago. Make boards. Somebody will want them. LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Thank You Sponsors!