iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Start of new timber framed workshop

Started by Dan Miller, September 02, 2006, 09:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Miller

Here's a quick shot of the start of my new woodworking shop. Overall size is 20x24. Sills are white oak, rest of frame will be white pine. This will be where I will be building small wooden canoes and Windsor chairs (oh yeah, and SWMBO's kitchen cabinets).

dragonflycanoe.com/images/sills.jpg (active links to offsite pictures are not allowed)

That's my just-turned-13 GIT who is quick with the blocking and knows how to read the smart end of a tape. I am pleased to report that after delivery of raw materials to the site, no electrons nor dead dinosaurs have yet been sacrificed to the cause...

Cheers,
Dan

Mooseherder

Very Nice Dan.  Keep them Pictures coming.

Thomas-in-Kentucky

Looks like a fine start! 

I see you have a lot of mortises in those sill plates - are you using posts that are very close (like some old english styles), or will you have braces in the bottoms of the posts... or just lots of doors framed?  Tell us more - or just post some more pics as the work gets going!

BTW, nice stones - where did you pick those up?

-Thomas

Dan Miller

The frame is a Dutch-style frame with bents on 4-ft centers. It is essentially the same 14x16 frame that Jack Sobon teaches at Hancock, except I've added a bent and a 10ft leanto to give a 20x24 footprint. The gable ends have a fair number of studs to frame in windows, doors, and are otherwise spaced for 24" high-R fiberglass batts (we learned the hard way on a previous project about having to trim lots of fiberglass...).

I have to order in the stone from a quarry in the Heldebergs. We live on a gravel bank, which means great drainage and minimal frost heave, but all our native stones are round...

Cheers,
Dan

KGNC

PawNature

Wish I was smert enough to try sumthing like that... smiley_hillbilly_tub_base
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!