iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yellowstone fans ( or better yet, non fans)

Started by Jeff, January 15, 2023, 09:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I absolutely enjoyed this video, and subscribed to the guys channel after watching just this.

Yellowstone TV Series Review by Montana Cowboy - YouTube
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

rjwoelk

I watched his channel,  I have experienced the getting dumped part, then must have got kicked on the inside of my knee as I came off, that was a squeaker for a few days.
My guy does not like saddlebags, or putting your hand on his butt behind the saddle.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

SwampDonkey

I tried to watch the series, interest rapidly waned. I liked 1883, couldn't wait for the next episode, so thankfully I binge watched it. :D Never been a Costner fan. In fact the last western I watched with him was Open Range, and if Robert Duvall wasn't in it I'd likely given up. If Sean Connery and Robert De Niro hadn't been in 'The untouchables', same feeling. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Donk, this is a not about the show post. It's about a real Montana Rancher.

SwampDonkey

Yes I know Jeff, I watched a couple of his videos yesterday.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

B.C.C. Lapp

Well, I've never seen the television show. But I did watch most of this guys video to see what his point was. 
He says several times, "Its just TV."    And that's right.  Its entertainment to get people to sit still so they can be bombarded buy commercials trying to sell them stuff.   And that's all it is. Even so called reality TV ain't really reality at all.   Ask any one that's ever been on any of those shows.  If the non discloser agreement they signed has expired, or in some case even if it ain't they will tell you its no where near reality.
This rancher makes some good points about land use and a change in how people want to use the land out west.   I see this ranchers points and I also can understand his not wanting folks to see his state and its issues in the way he says yellowstone portrays it to be.
     Funny thing, yllowstone was made and is on TV to sell you stuff.  Now this rancher says he made his video to address issues that he is concerned people may believe and take to heart about his state and ranching there. .   Maybe he did.  I ain't saying he didn't have that in mind.  However you'll notice he try's to sell you "wag" bars, yeti products and what not while he's at it.   Nothing wrong with that, its the American way.   Capitalism.    But for me, just my two cent opinion, I'd take his point better and believe him quicker had he left his own commercials out of it.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Jeff

Why? He is finding alternative revenue streams in order to take the place of what modern society is taking from him as a rancher. That is sort of like saying you would take the forestry forum more seriously if I was to remove the sponsors and not ask for 5% on forum generated commerce.

I have to do that to keep the largest forestry related forum in the world on line. He needs ro keep a ranch profitable. Only that one video was about tv.

Jeff

Same thing occurs here. I can see how youtube is taking sponsor dollars from here. Majorly, that is why I tried to incorporate that here. Though so far unsuccessfully. You have to find something when something else disappears, or you disappear.

reride82

I watch Yellowstone for the horses and the scenery, they can keep all of the drama. I don't know of a ranch with a body count, let alone the amount that the Dutton Ranch has. 1883 was an awesome show, and I'm excited for 1923 as my office building is in it as it was filmed in Butte along with other places. They even recreated the ranch house southwest of town along I-15 near Divide, MT.

That being said, I've followed this guy for a while. He breaks down the mechanics of ranching pretty well along with why the average size of a Montana ranch is so large, our land isn't that productive compared to ranches in Georgia so we need 30-40 acres per cow in most places. We ran about 200 head of cattle on 2,000 acres of deeded with a 4,500 acre lease. Most of that deeded acreage wasn't productive enough for crop, so it stayed in grass. When we got out of cattle in 2005-ish we had lost the lease ground and tilled the decent grassland up for crop production.

My in-laws run about 1600 head on about 60,000 acres, but they have been cutting back in the last 3 years due to drought. I believe they are down to 1,100 head right now and still had to buy hay, which they usually have an excess. Where they are in eastern Montana, development isn't their major issue, its the APR or the American Prairie Reserve. Their big plan is to buy up as much property as they can and turn it into a Plains wildlife sanctuary so they can turn a bunch of buffalo loose and cater to the tourists instead of keeping it in agriculture production. It is based around the CM Russell wildlife refuge and the Upper Missouri River Monument. The Timber Creek portion of the APR is closest to their summer pasture which includes a fair amount of BLM lease ground. Currently the BLM doesn't allow grazing of buffalo on their leases, but if APR gets that changed it opens up a bunch of territory for them.
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

barbender

My Aunt and Uncle have nearly 6000 acres in Northeast Wyoming, right up on the Montana border. I think the most they ever ran was about 160 head of Angus. Now they just run feeder calves in the summer and don't even carry a herd over. Life is a lot easier that way. Their primary income is off of the the outfitting business they've built up over the years, that they run from the ranch but lease around 250,000 surrounding acres for sole hunting rights. I don't know that they could make it anymore as just a cattle operation.

Most operations that are still running solely on cattle are legacy ranches that were handed down, and big spreads. And a lot of those families are sitting on ranches that have a value in the millions, while they draw a blue collar income and lifestyle from it. 
Too many irons in the fire

upnut

During the lockdown we stumbled upon The Cowboy Channel and watched our first National Finals Rodeo. We have been hooked ever since. Even the commercials are geared towards farmers and ranchers, a welcome relief from the craziness on other channels. The Cowboy Channel is a feature on  About Us - RFD-TV (rfdtv.com)  I think the crowd here would enjoy it.

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Bruno of NH

Jeff
I have watched lots of his content.
He has some good stuff
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Texas Ranger

Yellowstone, prequals and sequals did not survive in our house after the prequal said they had to ford the Brazos to get into Oklahoma. And other "off" comments and scenes. I realise it is fiction, but a little research could really help.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Remember, it was a terrotory not a state and the borders were very different. How were they wrong? because I do not know.

Spike60

So, I clicked on the broken rib title cause it's happened to me a couple times. (Hockey, not horses)

Saw the total video time and thought no way I'm gonna watch the whole thing, but sure enough, that's what I did

He's SO right about the sleep deal. Even in the recliner, one wrong move feels like bayonet practice.

Thanks Jeff. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Tom King

Maybe since the water where they filmed that crossing was muddy, they didn't want to say the Clear Fork of the Brazos River, and just shortened it to Brazos River.  I don't even remember what they called it, and doubt many others did either.  I did look at a map to see what progress they were supposed to be making while the episodes were on.

Just like all the movies "based on history", they embellish, or take shortcuts.  We enjoy them more than most other types of movies.

We enjoyed 1883, and are enjoying 1923 enough to be regretting having to wait until in between football weekends for the next episode.

Jeff

Is that what the deal is?  Man, I have successfully seperated myself to the point that football never occurred to me!

Thank You Sponsors!