iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this tool?

Started by Dangerous_Dan, November 12, 2006, 10:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangerous_Dan

These things keep showing up at the scrap yard so I grabbed 2 of them.
It has a blade and some adjustment screws for holding whatever it's cutting?
What is it?

First you make it work, then you trick it out!

pigman

The first two look like  a DURO 731. ::)  Sorry I just couldn't resist. I have no idea what they are used for.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

DanG

Hmmmm.  Looks more like a 791 ta me.  The 731 had smaller thumbscrews, and was painted green.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Sprucegum

If'n ya put yer thumb in there an' turn thet screw a bit ya could get a answer real quick  ???

They look kinda like a thing-o-majig I seen for makin' leather shoelaces.

woodbowl

Big Nell® makes a tenon cutter, sorta' reminds me of the big bell shaped pencil sharpener configuration used to make them.

There is an antique tool also that makes tenons for cowhide bottem chairs. It's used in a brace & bit.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Ironwood

Woodbowl,

I have several of each that you had mentioned (both the Bignell, and the antique tenon cutters) These are neither. I have a drawer in my storage area marked "funky holders" these would fit in there for sure. I had something similar which I later used to hold the handles of the saws on my homemade Alaskan mill. It was like they were made exactly for the application. These are very close to those although yours look to have a more specific (deticated) use than mine, Dan.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

rebocardo

You being "north east", whatever it is, it probably comes from this company

http://durodyne.com/opening.php
(kicking tunes  :D  )

http://www.durodynecanada.ca/canada/

rebocardo

Had another idea, how about a tool to cut off the top of a barrel or something and that is the cutter head that attaches to another tool?

Phorester

I don't know, BOB......, it could also be an upside down 137  ORUD

woodbowl

Quote from: Dangerous_Dan on November 12, 2006, 10:39:53 PM
It has a blade and some adjustment screws for .....

Is it a blade sharp enough to cut wood or is it like a piece of carbide for cutting metal?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Tim L

Looks like a wire stripper to me !
Do the best you can and don't look back

Dana

Hay bailers use a knife setup to cut the twine. This could be a twine or rope cutter for a manufacturing/packaging operation.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Dangerous_Dan

The blade looks like High speed steel and is somewhat sharp.
I was thinking you could put a cork in it and cut the taper spinning the cork by hand. Probably not right but what else could this be for?
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

customsawyer

That there is a lathe you turn by hand just watch out for the lathe cramps. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ironwood

I have seen large machines that cut wooden dowels in unlimited length. IT could be part of one of those machines. They typically adjust to cut differing diameters. Reid

http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/Detail.asp?ID=270   Try this link. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Murf

Duro is the name of a very old pump company, they make every kind of pump imaginable, and have for a *very* long time.

Maybe this is some accessory for a large commercial pump, leather gasket cutter for the leathers of a big municiple water pump(s) ???
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

scgargoyle

Are you sure that isn't the gadget a rabbi uses for... well, you know?
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Slabs

That looks a lot like my valve rafacing tool for small engines.  If a valve were installed in the screw-clamp instead of the bolt and the missing crank/handle were affixed onto the valve stem, the valve could be reafaced by turning it against the cutting tool.  The thumbscrew would control the pressure of the valve face onto the cutter.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!