iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dead Standing Mystery Tree

Started by High_Water, December 28, 2020, 09:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High_Water

Came across this snag in East TX, been dead a while from the looks of it, no leaves for ID help. Coloration is more orange than surrounding trees, hard to tell from the photos. Bonus pic of the nice little owl burrow. Fairly tall, around 20" dia. maybe. Sorry for the sideways pics, any ideas? I plan to cut it down and put it on the mill one of these days if its not too rotted, just got a pile to get through first.

timberking

sandhills

Cottonwood is my guess? 
At least that's what's they look like up here?

Texas Ranger

I'd go with cottonwood, ossage orange doesn't rot that way.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Reminds me of how aspen rots, you get those polypore conks on the trunk anywhere a limb grew. So could be cottonwood.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

not sure how close it is to people, but if you got some Kansas wind, it might break off.  so may want to take it down sooner, for safety sake.  I can see Cottonwood.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

KEC

Furrowed bark suggests ash. Cut it down (CAREFULLY) and post photos of log ends.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

If it is not ash, I will buy someone a beverage. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

WDH

You have to go down to East Texas and acquire a close up piece of end grain sliced clean with a razor knife and the pore structure has be diffuse porous or semi diffuse porous (cottonwood) and not strongly ring porous (ash).  Should only take two days and one overnight stay in a hotel to get the info, and if it is cottonwood, I am sure that the value of the beverage will more than offset the cost of the trip :D. 

High_Water

I've got a lot of cottonwoods down by the creek, this one is on top of a hill. I'm not familiar with ash but when I cut it down the smell should give it away if its cottonwood! Its not near anything so no worries about that. If ash do we have those beetles in East TX that are killing all the ash trees?

Texas Ranger

From Texas Standard: An invasive species of beetle, the emerald ash borer, has spread to Denton and Bowie Counties for the first time. The small, metallic-green insect lays its eggs in ash trees and its larvae bore through layers of bark.Jun 10, 2020
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

stavebuyer

I don't have a clue what it is but it's not Ash. :snowball:

Tacotodd

If you cut it up for firewood and go to hand splitting it with an AXE and it splits surprisingly easy, it's most likely Ash. If not, your quest for correct is still on. The only reason that I say is because I tried it a few times and it split so easily and it was light, that I thought it was rotten. And when you burn it green it pops like mad! But EXTREMELY worthy!

Full disclosure here. I can only readily ID about 5 trees. And had no experience with Ash, but my good friend did. So far he's tried to teach me but no dice. There is tomorrow....
Trying harder everyday.

SwampDonkey

Our ash bark is different up here. :)

Looks like it had a canker disease. Never seen cankers on ash up here. Got a woodlot full of'm.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KEC

I hauled hardwood saw logs for a mill just South of Syracuse, NY for about 5 years. We hauled logs into the mill from a radius of around 100 miles, usually less. Within that area there was a variation of soil types, elevation and wet and dry places. Bark appearance varied within species depending on where the trees grew. If that tree isn't ash it bears a strong resemblence.

timberking

High_Water

Quote from: timberking on December 30, 2020, 08:01:28 AM
Sticking with horse apple
That would be awesome. I've never seen on that big here but anything is possible, I suppose the sawdust color will give it away as soon as I start cutting.

Magicman

You said "no leaves", but what about limbs?  Ash will have it's opposite branching characteristic.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

timberking

Cut that puppy open.  Break a limb.  More info the world wants to know.  Reputations on the line.

High_Water

No limbs within reach, its been dead a while from the looks of it, or at least it died slowly enough for all the leaves to be long gone and almost all the limbs as well without the bark sloughing off. It was dead when I first came across it a year or so ago. I may get a chance to do some digging over new years, I'll post any new info so we can nail this sucker down.

Thank You Sponsors!