iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer high performance blade guides

Started by petefrom bearswamp, August 07, 2011, 07:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Hi all,
My blade guides were worn pretty badly and the manual indicated that they should be either replaced or machined flat.
WM gave me a price of "about $27"  each.
I ended up paying a machine shop $15 to mill them flat.
Has anyone out there had experience removing the guides and sawing without them?
If so is board flatness an issue if they are not in place?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Bibbyman

You will keep the rollers?  Just remove the pads. Right?

For many, many years there were no guides other than the rollers.  Many of the simple mills still do not have the guides.  I see no problems other than maybe a little loss in performance.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Chuck White

Hello Pete

On my mill, I would occasionally get a chip caught between the blade and the roller on my outboard Hi-Performance blade guide, so I just removed the two bolts and took the bottom pads off.  They now sit in the cabinet in my garage.

I have noticed no ill effects since removing the pads.

No different than operating with the original blade guide rollers, with the exception that the metal where the pads are attached still hangs down further than the basic blade guide would.

Whenever these blade guides go, on my mill, I will install the whole original blade guide rollers and the hi-performance ones can take their turn sitting on the shelf.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Chuck White

Forgot!  :-\

I don't remember which technician I spoke with down at WM Hannibal, but I was told that the High-Performance blade guides really come into play with the more powerful mills, rather than the 20-30 something horse power mills.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bibbyman

D51 mill should have enough power to really push a blade pretty hard.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

MartyParsons

Hello,
052355 guide block are $19.00 for 1 .5 width blades. 052355 19.00 1.25 width blades
This is for the new style with four pads, two one each side top and bottom.

The older mills had one guide on the bottom, there was the ceramic then we had the brake pad style glue in. And now the best design is the.
052367 fits 1.25 width $ 14.50
052366 fits 1.5 width $ 17.50

Adjustment spec is .008 to .010.

We have a belt sander and when I am doing a service I flatten them a little if they are not to worn.

The glue in style pad is still available if you like them, I never had any luck getting the glue to stay.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

petefrom bearswamp

thanks to all who answered.
Species that I notice wavy cuts with are:
Norway spruce even with .055 blades and high tension and of course knotty Hemlock.
Also if I get lazy and try a few cuts after the blades are somewhat dull.
Marty, Please do send the part # also I USE .008 clearance
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: MartyParsons on August 07, 2011, 07:29:38 PM

The glue in style pad is still available if you like them, I never had any luck getting the glue to stay.

Gorilla Glue worked well for me but I use the solid blocks now.

Tom

Thank You Sponsors!