iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

belting and safety screen question

Started by woody1, February 12, 2007, 09:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody1

Big snow coming to central Pa tommorrow, so I am going to do some work on the mill. I am going to replace the belting on the feed works. I was looking at the belting at a local farm store. They have the rubber stuff they use on round bailers, ect. Would that work ? And want to hook up a safety screen..any ideas ? Speaking of safety screens, a short story...A friend of mine was working on his dads mill, just got done drinking a plastic container of milk. He threw it at the guy loading a log. The jug hit off the top of the rotating blade and hit his dad, the sawyer, on the head.  :D :D You shoulda seen some guys scatter. :D :D Thats one reason I want a safety screen. I've heard some horror stories about plexiglass..Your thoughts .. Thank ya
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Brian_Rhoad

If you are talking about a circular mill with belt feed, the "rubberized" belts will not work. The rubber in the belt will grab on the drums and the carriage will not stay in one place. You need canvas belts for a feed on a circular mill. As far as a safety screen, make a frame out of 1x2 material that you can hang from the rafters. Put some type of hinge on it so it isn't solid. Stretch some heavy duty screen over the frame. Every plexiglass screen I've ever seen was cracked or had pieces missing. The screen material seems to hold up better and is cheaper.

Furby

Brian_Rhoad

Thats why I don't like plexiglass! On our circular mills we always used heavy duty screen material in a frame that was suspended from the rafters on hinges. The hinges allowed the screen to give if it was hit, but still stop the flying object. A flying object would probibly go through a solid mounted screen. Also the hinges allowed the screen to be placed lower and it would swing up if the log caught it. Otherwise the screen had to be high enough to allow the log to pass under it. This wouldn't give much protection to the sawyer.

Ron Wenrich

I was in one mill where we used glass with the wire mesh inside of it.  It worked well when a piece smacked it, but didn't shatter it.  Bulletproof would work just as well.  Glass is easier to keep clean and won't turn milky like plexiglass.

It was mounted in a frame and was hung on a small chain, just like Brian has described.  It would swing out of the way, and would take a hit. 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woody1

Thanks for the comments..I will check later. Heading out to work. I see there's alot of early risers here. I heard of a guy up the road hit a dog and send it through th plexi. Luckily just grazed his head, a couple stitches. :o I am very safety minded, so I will be wearing lots of gear, as with anyone helping. PERIOD
Well, off to the ole grind...Have a great day!!

woody1

I am having a hard time finding friction feed belting. Any leads ? I am looking for 4".

Ron Wenrich

Did you try the local farm supply store?  You might have to go over to Lewistown, where there's more of an Amish crowd.   ;)  They still use that type on some of the farm equipment.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

thurlow

Quote from: woody1 on May 24, 2007, 08:36:09 PM
  friction feed belting. 

I'm not familiar with the term.  Flat belt?  Many round hay balers use flat belts in various widths......4 --10 inch.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

woody1

I have tried farm stores, but they are rubber and I need the cloth outside, friction for the feed, belts. I am going to timber 2007 at rock springs, maybe someone there will have something. I want to get this thing going, but the one belt is rotten.

thurlow

The early ('70s) Vermeer balers used a canvas belt.  Don't know where you'd find one, unless maybe a farm equipment salvage yard.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Tom

Google

Talladaga machine
TMS machinery Sales

and stuff like that.

sjh

Here is a site for hit and miss engines. They sell flat belts.
/hit and miss engines

beenthere

woody1
Try McMaster Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/

They've some explanations of the various beltings they sell under "Conveyor belting". Friction on top, friction surface on bottom, etc. Nylons, poly's, etc.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguyver

I'm told the right belting is hard to find, the stuff on my feed wheels has been there for years. The staples are begining to tear out so I'll be replacing mine this year also.
   That belting is impressive, It'll sit there and rub on those wheels with little or no wear.

I'm just imagining not having the right stuff, too sticky and you'll be in trouble real fast. Imagine that carrage not wanting to stay put. danger danger danger. As soon as you engage that blade there will be action  :o

Around here people running old machinery are always on the look out for parts. Farm auctions are a place too get extra material and usually pretty cheap (If nobody else knows what its for). Then as in my case, you store it under the mill for future use.

I had one piece that I had to rip on the table saw.

Fla._Deadheader

I'd bet that Arkansawyers favorite place in West Plains Missouri would have it. Can't remember the name of the place ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Bro. Noble

Ozarkmachinery.com has any kind of flatbelts that you can imagine.  If you are looking for the belting for a sawmill carriage feed,  it has to be a type that will slip,not a drive belt.  Ozark machinery has it.

Just got a notice that two posts had been made while I was pecking out my reply.  Harold,  that place in West Plaines, Mo. is called Ozark Machinery :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

sawguyver

Fla._Deadheader

I figgered Bro. Noble, or the Bibbyman might know the name.  ;D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woody1

Thanks a million for all the help. I found some wide old belting from a friend up the road. I brought it home, cut it, sliced it, puttin it on tommorrow. Got some good safety sceen, too. Old wired school doors..pictures coming.

Thank You Sponsors!