iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2004 lt40 super with Kubota

Started by Bruno of NH, September 09, 2020, 07:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I have a friend that's looking to buy one with 700 hours on it.
It has some damage by the previous owner hitting it with forks. Not bad he says all fixable. 
His question is about the Kubota engine.
Are They good on the Woodmizer?
And why they don't use Kubota engines anymore.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

BandsawBen

I have a 2003 with a 33hp kubota runs great and will be hitting 4000 hrs this week. Knock on wood. It does vibrate and rattle while idling but, flip the swith and she soothes right out. 

terrifictimbersllc

Heard many times that was the best engine wm ever put on a mill. Tell him to run don't walk to buy it. WM wanted to buy hundreds but Kubota needed to sell thousands.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dave Shepard

Yup, not enough volume for Kubota. Great engine.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I was told that as indicated above, it was a supply issue and had nothing to do the the engine's reliability.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Dave Scott, NY store, told me the Kubota engines sometimes got a worn governor linkage at 4,000+ hours, but that was the only trouble he saw with them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ladylake

Quote from: BandsawBen on September 09, 2020, 08:19:55 PM
I have a 2003 with a 33hp kubota runs great and will be hitting 4000 hrs this week. Knock on wood. It does vibrate and rattle while idling but, flip the swith and she soothes right out.
Great engine,  try speeding up the idle just a little, should smooth out some.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ladylake

I have over 10000 hours on my Isuzu now, Kubota should be just as good with no worry about the crank breaking off.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SwampDonkey

Was wondering why it would matter how many engines Woodmizer wanted, sell some more to others. Seems simple. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ladylake

Most likely it was the cost of a Kubota.   Steve

SwampDonkey

They are pricey, but so isn't a Honda. If you want cheap don't expect reliable to. :D Can't overlook a little creed factored in I suppose. I know wages in this area have fallen behind cost of everything else. Who can afford an $80,000 GMC Silverado? Half the price of a house, you kidding me? Worth about $2500 in 6 years, if it was used every day. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

terrifictimbersllc

Mine had 4700 hr when I sold it last year. One glow plug and temp sensor only work done on it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: ladylake on September 10, 2020, 04:58:49 AM

Most likely it was the cost of a Kubota.   Steve
Kubota stopped making it is why they went to Cat.

ladylake

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on September 10, 2020, 05:20:17 AM
Quote from: ladylake on September 10, 2020, 04:58:49 AM

Most likely it was the cost of a Kubota.   Steve
Kubota stopped making it is why they went to Cat.
Are you saying they quit making Kubota  , no way.  I'd think Cat cost less is why they went to Cat.  New TK mills have Kubota on them  .   Steve

terrifictimbersllc

Referring to the v1505 42 hp, back when they switched to cat. What I had heard then.

Percy

I have over 13,000 on my 2003 Kubota V1505t(42 hp). Changed a front crankshaft seal at around 8000 hours...but no other problems...great little engine.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Bruno of NH

This mill is set up to cut 40 ft and he's getting a super deal.
He's swapping some work for it. Like I said it took a hit on the blade guide arm.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

terrifictimbersllc

It's a better investment when you hit the blade guide arm yourself, than if someone else does it. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ladylake

I looked on the Kubota website, new models are

D1803   37.4 hp

V2003  44.5 hp.   Steve

Bruno of NH

Kubota makes a liquid cooled gas engine in the 27 hp range.
I wish a mill company would use it.
Ventrac and Steiner use it in their tractors and folks like them alot. Trouble free.

PAmizerman

Almost 4000 hours on mine. Sips fuel.
Great luck with mine so far
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Bruno of NH

He called me tonight
Hadn't been started in years.
Drained the fuel put new in and it fired right off.
Like a Kubota would.

Bruno of NH

I forgot.
He said they hydraulics didn't work.
Told him to clean the contact strip and the contact.
They then worked.
See I actually learned something from this forum that let me help someone out 8)

thecfarm

Probably a great motor. The 2 dealers I went to here in Maine, I had to wait 2 weeks for parts.  ::)  :o   >:(  >:(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

One of the Kabota dealers up here are useless, couldn't fix a wheel barrel if they had to. They only seem to hire the people other folks passed on.  Anyone we know who has dealt with them, ain't dealing with them any more. :-\

Thank You Sponsors!