iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna Weed Whacker Dead

Started by DR_Buck, June 23, 2020, 01:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

I have a Husqvarna 326RJX weed whacker that has me at wits  end.     It has spark, gets gas into the cylinder and has good compression, yet  will not fire over.    The gas is good and I replaced the carburetor, filter, primer bulb and the hoses.       It just spins when pulling the starter rope and does not even attempt to start.   I even tried startin g fluid with no effect either. 

I'm not ready to spend $400+ on a new one.   Any ideas?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

btulloh

Sounds frustrating. Bound to be a solution though. 

Spark, fuel, and compression. All the requirements except for air. Have you checked out the air filter, etc.?
HM126

sawguy21

Leave the starting fluid alone, that is a quick way to destroy a 2 stroke engine as it dries out  the gaskets and seals. What is 'good compression'? It needs at least 110 psi to run. Did it stop suddenly or just refuse to start? Did you replace the spark plug?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DR_Buck

Hasn't run since last year.   If I remember it wouldn't start when I went to use it.       Spark plug, air cleaner, fuel lines, fuel filter, priming bulb and carburetor are all new.     Gas is good.  Husky chainsaws fire right up using same gas.     Tester on plug line shows good spark.    Compression after 4 to pulls is 120.

Nebraska

Have you tried magic beads?  It sounds like standard engine medical practices are failing at the moment.

Hilltop366

That leaves timing and crankcase vacuum leak.

X2 in the starting fluid, there is no oil in there. I will prime with mixed gas.

Corley5

Tester on the plug line?  What about spark at the plug's electrode?  Sounds like a new spark plug is needed...
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DR_Buck

Quote from: DR_Buck on June 23, 2020, 02:29:07 PM
  Spark plug, air cleaner, fuel lines, fuel filter, priming bulb and carburetor are all new.     
Quote from: Corley5 on June 23, 2020, 05:59:04 PM
Tester on the plug line?  What about spark at the plug's electrode?  Sounds like a new spark plug is needed...

Hilltop366

I get what Corley5 is saying, new plug does not always mean a good spark plug.   

JJ

Plugged spark arester on exhaust?

DR_Buck

Quote from: Hilltop366 on June 23, 2020, 05:27:01 PM

X2 in the starting fluid, there is no oil in there. I will prime with mixed gas.
If there was a vacuum leak, I wouldn't expect it to hold compression.     I need to look at timing.  I thought it was fixed.   I wasn't aware of adjustment.

Corley5

Yup.  New doesn't mean it's any good.  No need to yell ::)

Corley5

Have you checked for spark at the plug's electrode?

Hilltop366

Quote from: DR_Buck on June 23, 2020, 06:42:49 PM
Quote from: Hilltop366 on June 23, 2020, 05:27:01 PM

If there was a vacuum leak, I wouldn't expect it to hold compression.     I need to look at timing.  I thought it was fixed.   I wasn't aware of adjustment.
Vacuum leak would be at the crank seals or cylinder base, can still have compression.

Timing is not usually adjustable but sometimes can be off, caused by flywheel spinning on the crank shaft bit or faulty electronics.

TroyC

Hilltop is right about the timing. I've seen several chainsaws and weedeaters that the flywheel has spun on the crankshaft. On a weedeater I just repaired, the keyway is actually molded into the flywheel. Since it is aluminum it sheared and spun easily. I ground out a keyway slot in the flywheel, made a key and put dab of JB in and tightened it up good.

Like yours, mine would spark but not fire, even with starting fluid. Check the keyway!

Also check spark plug for proper spark. Sometimes coils get weak.

69bronco

Check the exhaust port for mud daubers.

farmfromkansas

Used to hang out at the local garage when I was young.  They had a B&S engine one time that would not run, no matter what.  They finally tried putting a new flywheel on it, and it started right up.  The magnet somehow had lost it's power and would not create enough spark to start the engine.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Gere Flewelling

My vote is with JJ.  I think the exhaust port or muffler is plugged.  Been there and been fooled by that before.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

moosehunter

I'll be with the plugged exhaust gang. Either mud daubers or the spark arrestor plugged with carbon. Take the muffler apart and check it.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Dakota

Dave Rinker

DR_Buck

Quote from: Dakota on July 09, 2020, 07:48:18 AMfaulty on-off switch?
Quote from: moosehunter on July 09, 2020, 06:07:06 AMQuote from: moosehunter on Thu Jul 09 2020 06:07:06 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
I'll be with the plugged exhaust gang. Either mud daubers or the spark arrestor plugged with carbon. Take the muffler apart and check it.
mh
If the switch was faulty there would be no spark.   There is plenty of bright blue spark at the plug gap.   The muffler is not clogged.  It is completely clear.    I even tried without the muffler installed.      If the flywheel has spun, its going to stay spun.    smiley_furious3
I have officially abandoned this project.    whiteflag_smiley
I've spent $30 on parts and nearly 10 hours troubleshooting, disassembly and reassembly multiple times.  This is over my limit for patients.  smiley_mad_crazy     I think I've had it about 10 years and that's pretty old in old in "weed whacker years". 

JJ

Just bought one, $200 at lowes.  It takes all my attachments so now I have several weed wacker heads + hedge trimmer; run out of string I just switch the head.

JJ

wfcjr

No disrespect... it is dead... go buy a Stihl.

Don't want to get into a Ford vs Chevy argument.  That is not my intent.  Just trying to share our experience.  We had a similar problem with our Husky weedwhacker/brush cutter.
Was fairly heavy duty.  Engine died. Would not start for anything.. new fuel, new spark plug, cleaned every thing out.  Was only two seasons old.  Sent it to small engine guy to take a look at... cylinder was bad.  He said that he had seen several Husky brush cutters with the same problem.

Went to Stihl store, these guys are very professional and generally don't disparage other brands, but they did echo this issue with the Husky brushcutter engines.  Bit the bullet and bought a new Stihl.

Full disclosure, we do have a Husky chainsaw/pole saw.  So I am not completely Stihl.  But when it comes to brush cutters, will stick with Stihl.  Others may have different experience or opinions.

Skip

Husky man all my life . Just bought a 4 stroke Stihl  ::) This thing is AWESOME  :o It doesn't bog down at all in the nasty stuff . I am truly impressed . Even though it is a  4 stroke it still takes 50:1 mix gas.  ???

sawguy21

The four stroke trimmers are impressive with the torque but I am a luddite when it comes to them. I still want 2 stroke for the simplicity, light weight and speed. And the sound.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!