iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much wood do you have left?

Started by Wlmedley, January 23, 2024, 06:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wlmedley

Looking at my shed I figure about 6 or 7 weeks of dry wood left.I have two sheds and have been managing to keep two years ahead.When my dry wood runs out sometime in March I'll just have to run the furnace.Not going to use any of next years wood.In my stove green wood is not worth the aggravation.Would like to be cutting now to replace what I burn this winter but can't make myself wade the snow and mud to do it .Hoping for a freeze without snow.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Big_eddy

I have 4 bays in my woodshed and usually burn just a bit more than 3 bays. Haven't even finished the first bay so far this winter. It's been very easy on the wood supply, and not for a lack of being warm inside.

cutterboy

I usually burn 5-6 cord a year. I started the burning season with about 8 and have about 5 left.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

GRANITEstateMP

I've either gone through more wood than I thought I would, OR, did more customer wood than ME wood!

1 cord in the basement, 2.5 cord stacked and covered, 1.5 cord stacked and uncovered.

2 new sheds hold at least 5 cord ea, I've got 5 cord stacked and drying, so halfway there
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

thecfarm

I hope enough!!!
My Father would tell me every year on Feb 2, half your feed and half your wood should be gone on that day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hedgerow

I normally burn 10-15 cord a year of hardwood now days mostly hedge. {Osage Orange} I burn year around heating domestic water. It had been a pretty mild winter here until the two weeks we just came out of in Jan. I have burned about four cords since fall and have another twelve cords on trailers in sheds so I have plenty. Hope everyone is having a good winter season.�

Wlmedley

Weather has warmed up some here and wood use has slowed down a little.Should be good for awhile.March here has been fairly warm for the past few years but you never know.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Magicman

I am about half way through what I wheel barrowed up before Winter so I should be OK.  The hollow stick to the right of center is still there but all of the small limb wood on the far left is gone.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I've got 7 seasoned cords left. Been burning wood for 5 months in varying amounts, have chewed through 4 cords, 4 months to go. That'll probably chew up about 3 more cords. ;D Another 8 cords ready to fill the hole back up this spring. :) Was 4F this morning, 26F here now and sun.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

g_man

Old local adage says - Feb 1st; better have half your wood and half your hay remaining.

Right now this years side of the wood shed is half full and there is a couple or three days supply in the basement near the stove.  Just as if I planned it that way :)

We have a smallish and well insulated place and heat 100% with wood. Burn about 4 cord a year.

EDIT: I see Ray already said that  - DUH

gg

Ljohnsaw

Are y'all referring to full cords (128 cu-ft) or face cords? If full cords, that's a lot of wood!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SwampDonkey

Full cords. It's cold here nine months, even 60 degrees in early June is cold in the house. :D That's why southerners barely can stand one winter before they high tale it. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

NE Woodburner

My dad always told me the same thing that g_man and thecfarm said about having 1/2 your wood by Feb 1. I'm right on track with that. I have a 2 section wood shed and each section is about 4 cord and that's about what I burn in one season. I have a bit more than 1/2 remaining on the side I am working from and next years 4 cord is ready on the other side. I also have another 4 cord cut, split and stacked on pallets - should have made the wood shed bigger.

I am talking full cords. Here in the northeast, every one I know means full cord when they use the term cord of firewood.

hedgerow

Quote from: Ljohnsaw on January 31, 2024, 09:22:06 PMAre y'all referring to full cords (128 cu-ft) or face cords? If full cords, that's a lot of wood!
When I say I burning 10-15 cord at year. I am referring to full {128 cu-FT} cords. When I sold wood I sold it a lot of different ways as customs wanted different amounts. Some had rack they want filled. Some wanted a half of a cord and I had some folks that heated with wood full time and bought full cords of wood.�

Wlmedley

I modified the shed behind my barn last year so I could dead stack my wood.Before that I always crib stacked it.Now I have exactly four full cords of white oak in it.I will be burning from that shed next winter. I know there is more wood in it than with crib stacking but do not know how much more.I think it is enough for one winter but I guess I will find out.Found out four cords is a lot of wood!

21incher

We usually use 5 to 6 cords a winter but this has been our mildest winter ever. Only used about 2 cords so far and none of the below zero weather we usually see in Feb in the prediction. Loving this global warming.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Nebraska

About 9 totes left. � So roughly 3 cord.�

SwampDonkey

Been no record warm here since 1981, 2006 wasn't bad, but the locust trees leaved out in February 1981. Never seen that ever since. :D

It's certainly no -30F weather, but it's been hovering around 0F a few mornings and only in the teens for highs lots of days. The normal low for Jan is 0F around here according to NOAA. To add to that, our springs have become colder here and falls warmer. The seasons have essentially shifted dates. :D We see white frost here first week of June about every year now. Poor pollination in apples, plums and currants, too cold for bees. Currants especially need bees, bell flowers. Been white with blossoms here every spring for 3 years now and not a darn berry off them. I've had wild honey bees here for 12 years, 200 feet away from the bushes. They don't fly in cold.

Wlmedley

Wlmedley

Still working on my posts.Getting a little better.Wood I have left for the rest of the winter.Nice weather now,wood use has slowed down a lot.

beenthere

Bill, you can type your words in the same post as the pic.  ;) ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wlmedley

Hilltop366

Don't think I have burnt 1/2 of this years wood yet.....things may change but not a lot of really cold in the forecast for now.

Ljohnsaw

With 70mph gusts yesterday, a series of telephone poles (NOT power poles, MM), with two of the massive phone cables (500 pair?) blew over. Forty eight (48) poles landing on a two lane road. People had to drive on the one open shoulder to get by.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

DHansen

Wlmedley, Wow! That is some fancy stacking, clean and very organized woodshed. 

Thank You Sponsors!