iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Santa came early (new to me, iron)

Started by BrushSaw, September 12, 2020, 04:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrushSaw

Well iron isnt ever going to get cheaper with the paper mills shutting down in the midwest.... so I got off the pot and bought this Morbark Mark V stroke processor. Planning on thinning my red pine plantation with it.

Currently starts, runs, stops, cuts, delimbs etc... but needs to be gone thru. PO bought it from auction so untold history, hour meter shows 910 hours and isnt working. Needs 2 cylinders repacked, exhaust donut, some smoke (still reading up on Deutz, seems like a great engine by design), maybe bad injector or valve guide, but does have great oil pressure and starts easy.... Paid marginally above scrap value price for the whole machine. Figured nothing that cant be fixed, since I'm not in this for mon-fri routine.
can't have anything nice...

sprucebunny

That's great  8) 8) I always wanted my own one of them and the price sounds perfect. Hope it works out really well for you!!!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Satamax

Arghhhhhh!  

You shouldn't show me stuff like that, i have GAS attack now! I wouldn't know what to do with it thought.  ;D
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

mike_belben

Take 4 tums and call me in the mornin.

wait_smiley
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Quote from: mike_belben on September 13, 2020, 10:29:35 AM
Take 4 tums and call me in the mornin.

wait_smiley
Mike, since i don,t know if you're guitarist or not,  you might not know what is GAS in those spheres. Albeit, it might be the same in the Forestry world! 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

B.C.C. Lapp

Never fooled with one of those but always wanted to. Sounds like you bought it right so when your thinning is done you can most likely get your investment back.    Good luck with it.  
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

BrushSaw

Source of smoke solved. #2 cylinder head had a screw plug come out and was sucking engine oil.
Reinstalled after chasing threads, no more exhaust smoke and noticeably more power.
Pulled 2 hydraulic cylinders, ready for new seals tomorrow.

mike_belben

Ive never seen one with that big of a head on it or that style of boom.  Is it shop built or oem?
Praise The Lord

BrushSaw

Unsure on head, PO thought Fabtek but havent seen any markings to back it up.  Boom is factory,  I'd guess this machine to be mid 80s, predecessor of the Wolverine. 
It definitely came from factory with shear head since I have a lever labeled "shear head".
But whomever installed the stroker  did a fairly professional job. I expected a much more backwoods finish inside the cab.

BrushSaw

Hydraulic rams were dropped off at service shop. Valve cover gaskets are being shipped. Should have some seat time in a week or so.  

BrushSaw

Hydraulic cylinders all sealed up and installed. New filters and air cleaners. Have a few hours seat time. 

For you hydraulic experts the saw bar is not always extending thru the cut. Chain is spinning like it should. I have to play with it to finish cutting thru the tree. It's odd, if I open the spool valve all the way it will only extend half the cut.
If I open the valve less it will finish the cut but not every time. Before i start playing with relief valve settings, or taking things apart,  i have a mobile hydraulic guy coming to take a peek at it this week. 

mike_belben

Is there any chance that the spool or spool bore is worn badly in the fully open position?   If you put a pressure gauge in series on the work port that forces the bar into the cut, you will get to see whats happening in real time. 

my suspicion is pressure drops at full stroke on the valve as compared to mid stroke.  

Is this a double acting or single acting control spool?  By what means does the bar retract from the cut? 
Praise The Lord

BrushSaw

@mike_belben 

It's very possible its worn. I have found the machine is a 1986. 
 The same valve that extends the bar/engages the chain also retracts the bar when the valve is opened the other direction. 
 Its the same lever that ran the shear in its previous life when it was just a feller buncher, now repurposed as the bar saw valve. 

A manual or even known manufacturer of head would be enough to tackle this on my own, but since I have neither, that's why I'm bringing in a mobile guy with the some gauges and flow meters.. sounds like he is booked for the next week or two. Hes local to me so he may have an opening if another job finishes quick. 

mike_belben

Does the retract side of the saw bar cylindse get fluid from the pump or an accumulator of some sort?  And what center type is the valve spool at rest? 

The bar will sit still in any position or will it spring back to home instantly by itself if you let off the valve? 
Praise The Lord

BrushSaw

The retract side is still getting fluid from the pump. I believe its an open center. And the bar stops wherever you quit feeding it fluid.  Then opening the retract side of the lever brings it back to home

mike_belben

I have to guess that theyre using some form of flow divider or priority valve or pressure reducer to work the other functions that are in parallel on this spool.  Maybe youve got an issue in one of them that is either losing pressure on the work side or creating an unintentional counter pressure to the exhaust side, when at full stroke.  

Praise The Lord

BrushSaw

UPDATE

Well after sheeting, insulating, 3 new garage doors, man door, and windows.... my garage is now finished and I can get back to the Morbark Harvester. 

Mobile mechanic is busy as ever with big contractors equip... I'm on the back burner SO I started digging into it today and wow I'm not all that bright.  huh-smiley

Bar oiler is not oiling (que Homer Simpson "DOEE") That's why it works and does it thing.. then gets hot and binds up... so I ran out of daylight today because Morbark is too  tall to get into the garage... and I dont have a trailer big enough to get to dads shop... yet!

I have hydro oil and pressure to oiler motor. Ran out of time to check into bar oil side of oiler motor... but I believe I will find my issue soon, bad impeller or obstruction.

BrushSaw

Had a helper (dad) today which helps troublehooting. Hydraulic motor that spins oiler pump is not turning. So out it must come, naturally cant just pull it. Not enough room to back motor out. So pump has to come off, Lovejoy off, then the motor can come out.

But it needs a solid shop vac job before I start breaking lines. Rat packed with sawdust & oil. 50 degrees tomorrow will make for more enjoyable shade tree work. I'll sleep well tonight knowing the Vikes beat the Packers today.

Monday Update: 
Dropped Bar Oil Pump off at Hydraulic Repair Services. The pump is actually a Parker Motor ran as a pump. Seems overkill for bar oil so the mechanic at repair shop said we can install  a $200 pump in lieu of the $1400 Parker Motor in case its beyond a rebuild. 
Also whomever built this stroker head could of definitely used more bolts and less welding rod during assembly. Real joy to work, felt like the whole build a boat in a bottle trick.

mike_belben

As a fabricator, its very hard to force yourself to remember you are also a mechanic, and will need to fix this junk that you just want to glue together and get done with. 
Praise The Lord

BrushSaw

Quote from: mike_belben on November 03, 2020, 12:26:29 PM
As a fabricator, its very hard to force yourself to remember you are also a mechanic, and will need to fix this junk that you just want to glue together and get done with.
That's very true. Still cant decide if this processor head is shop made or from a real outfit, really well done if a home brew. Anyway all the saw hydraulics run into a steel reinforced lunchbox looking deal with the pumps under the manifold. Lunchbox may still get some more fabricating for future wrenching.
Hydro shop called, said pump is bad donor for rebuild. Has a new pump coming Monday for $235 plus freight. Much better than $1400 replacement Parker.
May still make my self imposed deadline of dropping sticks after deer season.

Thank You Sponsors!