iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found a Beauty

Started by Magicman, November 06, 2018, 08:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DelawhereJoe

Just find an old car hood to a land yacht, it should work great to skid that log.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Southside

I can't believe that you don't have a Logrite arch Magicman... ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

LeeB

Quote from: Magicman on December 27, 2018, 04:16:12 PM
Oliver, mine is a 1974, 45hp M1530.  I wish that it was the 68hp M2030 like yours.  :-\

I would love to have a FEL on it, or rather just a larger hp tractor with a FEL.  ;D
You can have. I'm sure the bank will help you get one.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Quote from: Southside logger on December 27, 2018, 11:14:47 PMI can't believe that you don't have a Logrite arch Magicman... ;D

Not a Logrite but I do have a homebuilt arch, seen here with our late FF Friend Andy White.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Ahh - very nice.  That will help as you build up your lumber business I have been hearing about.  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Darrel

Quote from: Southside logger on December 28, 2018, 08:18:06 AM
Ahh - very nice.  That will help as you build up your lumber business I have been hearing about.  :D
He tells me that that ain't gonna happen. Maybe he's more magic than me, but whenever I say it ain't gonna happen, guess what happens.  :D ;D :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

KirkD

Quote from: Don P on December 27, 2018, 10:39:42 PM
I've wondered but have never tried it, if you chain to something up front on the tractor and run the chain loose through a clevis on the drawbar, would you stay down? It's a dead drag then though.
We dropped a 3' red oak Christmas day here and pulled the upper sections with the truck in 4 low, there are still 2 8' bottom logs to go. There are a number of these to come out, I've let the trees around the house get too big for too long.
With that much weight you should only pull it with a chain to a "real" drawbar that is bolted to the belly of a tractor not a 3 point hitch. This transfers the pull below and ahead of the rear tires to prevent flipping over. MM blowing up a frontal shot of your JD with the wheels in the air looks like you have a drawbar bracket on it. It there a reason you don't use it instead of the 3 point?
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

WDH

Oh, he sells lumber.  He just uses a pimp ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quote from: KirkD on December 28, 2018, 11:53:13 AMMM blowing up a frontal shot of your JD with the wheels in the air looks like you have a drawbar bracket on it. It there a reason you don't use it instead of the 3 point?
I was using the 3 point with the blade attached.  That way I could lift the nose up to prevent it from digging in.  No way could I pull that load flat.  Also the blade effectively prevents a back flip.  I am liking the Tajfun because it will also prevent a back flip.

We had much rain yesterday and last night but with more rain coming we decided to try to skid that log out that I found a couple of days ago.

Bucked and ready for a try at skidding.

Ready for the skid attempt.

Success.  Hopefully this will be enough for Marty's flooring.  If not, we will drop a tree.  Now finally we are ready for sawing.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

From the weather reports I've been seeing for areas near you in Mississippi looks to me like you may be able to just float the logs out. Stay safe and keep us informed how this project works out.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

MM what about using a forecart for those bigger logs, basically a log arch that only picks up the nose so  you don't plow with the log.  Back when I was foolish, broke didn't own a skidder, I pulled a fair number of logs behind a work horse, it got a lot easier on both the horse and I when I acquired a forecart.  I mean, you won't look as cool doing a wheelie and all, but your brakes will last longer!!!   ::)
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

I look forward to seeing the inside of those logs
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

I hate to see a topic begun and never has an ending.  With that in mind, I will add links to show this log being sawn and later the actual flooring.

Logs staged:  Whatcha Sawin' ??? in Sawmills and Milling

Sawing:   Whatcha Sawin' ??? in Sawmills and Milling

Slab cleanup:  Whatcha Sawin' ??? in Sawmills and Milling

Thank You Sponsors!