iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Softwood lumber grading

Started by Neil_B, October 15, 2003, 02:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil_B

Anyone know where one could pick up a cheat sheet for softwood grading. Just regular lumber, not structural.I'm into cedar right now and worried that I may be wasting more than I need to when cutting out wane and other defects.

Thanks
Neil
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

MemphisLogger

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

beenthere

That reference appears to be a very good presentation of the softwood grades.  Hope that will help New_sawyer.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SawInIt CA

You can got to http://www.wwpa.org  They have the complete grading books

Neil_B

Thanks UrbanLogger,
Yep, it's white. Nice stuff too, most of it anyway.

Neil
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

MemphisLogger

I wish I had some around here. All I have is redcedar (Juniperus).

I want to build a strip canoe and the redcedar's oils interfere with the epoxy's adhesion.

Do you get it often?    
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Neil_B

thanks for the other site SawInIt,

Urban,
I don't get it myself too often but I have over 3500bdft here right now. Wouldn't mind getting it all the time since it's so nice to saw up compared to hardwood :). Mills are buying it up like crazy in these parts for a while now. Must be selling lots to the states ;)

Thank You Sponsors!