iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with Kohler problems on my LT28

Started by RPowers, January 31, 2014, 03:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPowers

I have the Woodmizer LT28 with the 25hp Kohler Command on it. Last time I used the mill was about 2 weeks ago, and it ran perfectly. I tried to mill some today and once it warmed up it is running too high at full throttle (3720 vs 3600rpms) and  so low at idel (500-700rpms) that it is almost stalling out. I cleaned the air filter out really well, and have only run non-ethanol gas in it. It has fresh fuel in it and runs smoothly when at speed, just a little fast. The low idle is a problem because it actually died a couple times so I don't want to mill with it untill I figure out what the issue it. Can I adjust the idle settings on this thing like a chainsaw or something? My user manual was no help at all.
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

VictorH

Before adjusting anything I would clean the carb out.  Most issues with these smaller gas engines end up being carb related.  Just my 2cents

Good Luck
Victor

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ohio_Bill

I had a 25 hp Kohler on my 2001 LT40. It had a carb and real bad about icing up when the temp was in the 30,s and 40,s ran fine when it was hotter or colder. What you are describing sounds like how mine acted.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

JB Griffin

The first thing to check is it fuel injected or carb if im not mistaken they make both in 25 hp.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Red Good

If the outside temp has changed much since you milled last it may be the sole cause of what's going on , particularly a carb model . Cold air causes things to run lean , if it was a carb version and me , I would richen it up just a hair at idle and top end and give it a little more idle speed on the idle speed screw . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

backwoods sawyer

I would start by changing the fuel filter before starting to adjust it much.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

RPowers

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll replace the air and fuel filters and run some carb cleaner thru the intake before trying anything else. I added some methanol heet to my fuel can, could that cause an issue? I wouldn't mind the extra 100rpms on the high side so much, but the low idling and stalling out makes milling a no-go til resolved.

RP
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

21incher

I had a 12 hp kohler motor act like that. It turned out a mouse had started making a nest under the tin cover and it was hanging up the little governor flap under there. If gas is going to sit over 2 weeks I always add Stabil fuel stabilizer for ethanol fuel that is avail at marine dealers.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

wetdog

Check that the bolts holding the carb are good and tight. Sometimes they vibrate loose causing an air leak which will cause a lean mixture.

Thank You Sponsors!