iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rough Sawn Hard Maple Price$

Started by Wood Tick, November 04, 2011, 08:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wood Tick

Hi, New guy here  I live in northern Michigan and I'm looking for prices on what rough sawn sugar maple goes for i.e in Northern Mich.  This is 2X stuff varying from 6-10" by 8-16'  It has been air dired in a barn for more then 3 years.  Mostly clear #2 for sure with some 1s and 3s no figure that I can tell.  I have called a number of guys that have local band mills to see what they sell such for and most just cut logs for landowners.  I got a hold of another guy that would sell custom cut HrdMpl for $3.45/brdft  this seems high, but is he in the ball park?  I haven't had much luck in finding other qoutes.  Looking to sell it but I want an idea of what I'm sitting on before I do.  Some red oak also.

Any recommendations on where else to post this?  You guys come highly recommended

Thanks for your help 

WDH

I would not sell 8/4 (2x material) hard maple for any less than $3.45/BF.  However, it is not very common here in the deep South.  May not be the same in Northern MI. 

Generally, 8/4 lumber if dried well brings a premium over 4/4 stock.  Whenever I sell 8/4, I tend to price it a t 1.5 times that price of 4/4 lumber unless it is really special stuff.  Using that logic, the equivalent 4/4 price would be just under $2.00/BF. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

8/4 hard maple material, kilned is $3.50/bf here at the local warehouse. Just priced it today. I live in hard maple country. 4/4 material is $3.00 locally.

Select or better.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Wood Tick

Wow, Great!  Thanks for the help, as a forester we rarely get into priceing boards.  Seems like there is more money in boards than trees, I might be in the wrong end of the trade.

oakiemac

Here in southern Michigan, I sell 8/4 H.M. for $3.55/bf for the white or mostly white select and better grade, kiln dried.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

zopi

Get in both ends of the trade... lol

Another sawdust addict in the making...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Den Socling

Don't forget the kiln. That's where value is really added to those trees.

metalspinner

Welcome to the Forum, Wood Tick. :)

As a buyer, I would need answers to several questions before I plunked down upwards of $3.50bf for rough sawn run of the mill maple.

Long time sellers build a reputation for better or worse on the condition of their material.

You mentioned it was stored in a barn.  I've seen chickens have free rain on lumber stacks in a barn. It was not a pretty sight to this city slicker. :D

Was the lumber stacked properly with good airflow on a level foundation with plenty of dry stickers lined up to prevent warping?

How was the lumber cut from the log?  That is probably a retorical question, but that will determine if the lumber has internal stresses that will show in later processing.

Was any grading of the lumber performed off the mill?

Are there pith boards in the mix? For shop lumber these are worthless - literally.

Bug damage?

Sticker stain?

As a weekend warrior in the woodshop, some of these possible defects can be worked around if the price is right.  But a business man needs a dependable commodity that won't lose him money.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Wood Tick

Hey Metalspinner,

Hey Metalspinner,

Thanks for the great input; the wood has a good deal of avian flu spores residing on it.  I don't plan on selling it to some city kid wanting to build a recipe holder for his mom.  Most city kids around here are dumb and would use it for firewood anyway. 

Yes the wood was stacked and stickered properly

No warping that I can see, may best guess as it was flat sawn.

The lumber was not graded and I haven't seen any junk boards, ends are checked from drying but no heartwood can be seen.

Thank You Sponsors!