iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can anyone help me identify this. Ash?

Started by Crusarius, September 05, 2017, 09:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

This is a tree that came down in my woods. Pretty sure it is local since it was in the woods of western NY. Anybody tell me what it is?

TKehl

Are the leaves part of the tree or a sapling that it happened to land next to?
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

nativewolf

Oak, do you have chestnut oak locally in your part of NY?  Looks like a chestnut oak leaf maybe.

Anyhow, Ash has a compound leaf, looks like a hickory leaf or a short walnut leaf if that makes sense.  The leaf is several leaflets, google will show you better than I can explain.  Ash bark is corky/blocky, those long veins in bark and smooth sections of bark are a good indicator that it is an oak. 

How big??
Liking Walnut

Crusarius

Yes the leaves are part of the tree.

I know I have lots of oak. That log in the picture probably about 8" diameter but that was up the tree a good 25'. The tree actually has a crotch at the ground. the entire tree uprooted and I was wondering if I should be getting it up out of the dirt for sawing when I get my mill built. Or will it be okay to leave it where ti is? It is sitting directly on wet ground.

TKehl

Will second Oak.  To far out of my "native range" to name a variety.    The bark on some of ours do the same thing when transitioning from juvenile to adult bark, but so do some other trees.  Leaves confirm.

If it's still alive, it shouldn't rot on the ground.  Will grow "sideways" until cut.  Not sure if there are any other negatives.  I have a small cherry that blew down last year I intend to cut up.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Crusarius

I forgot I had a tree book at home. closer investigation may be showing more towards english oak than chestnut. But they are very similar. the chestnut seems to have oval shaped leaves where the english had leaves wider at one end which this tree has.

here is another picture closer to the top of the tree.

Blue Noser

WDH

Definitely a red oak.  Looks like northern red oak to me , too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ada Shaker

All I know is, leaves of three, let them be; leaves of four, give me more.
I seriously have to get you guys to id a tree i have in my backyard, no idea what it is.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

BigBurOak

I've seen them trees all over the place as far as I know that would be a Northern Red Oak. If that tree's got any good burls, crotches, or is 14"+ in diameter it's worth sawing, provided you can get it out a your woods.
Who needs a gym if you got a woodpile?

Crusarius

I doubt its 14" diameter. but it is approximately 30' to the first crotch. maybe 10" diameter. I can definitely get it out. Since it has already fallen down it will get milled after the mill is built.

I still need to find me some test subjects to mill before I want to make anything good. I should go collect leaves from everything that I need to identify before they all disappear. the oak is laying on top of a bunch of trees that I don't know what they are. I know green they did not burn very well at all.

I think I need to move my junkyard and make my log pile over there.

ThomasHenriksen

Blue Noser

Crusarius

That will make my dad very happy. He loves his oak.

Ron Scott

~Ron

WanderWonder

Crusarius

Well I went and looked at this tree again today. No more leaves. Guess it is time to go harvest. one of the branches is roughly 12" diameter and the other is about 15". Nice long straight trunks easily 20'+. I guess maybe this weeks task after work is pulling them out of the woods. I also have a hickory that no longer has leaves and is laying down. that will get rescued this week as well.

Getting really close to painting the mill. I have sawed a good amount of stuff just playing around. Almost done with it.

Thank You Sponsors!