iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pro/Con of using > 40 hp TLB as portable mill log loader?

Started by NHWAForestry, February 18, 2019, 04:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHWAForestry

Seems like tractor is for the farm, and log loader is for the wood. Does it have to be two machines for the farm/forest ?

moodnacreek

A tractor/loader/forks is the handiest machine around the sawmill especially a 4x4.  It is the best with pallet style , 4' forks semi permanent and a slip on bucket for snow and sawdust.  Contrary to popular belief a baler or grapple is not often needed unless you have a log pond.       We tried a grapple bucket and it sits here rusting.  When you get used to the forks you will not want it! I have been in log concentration yards with 4 loaders running around and just plain flat pallet forks . Anything else just gets in the way.

jmouton

i dont know about forks loading the mill , it can roll sometimes and knock the mill around ,  i have used a grapple bucket on a bobcat and it worked pretty good,,right now we use a loader to move logs using a strap in center, not bad ,   but we are going to buy a bobcat soon,  

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

YellowHammer

Quick detach pallet forks for 90% of mill operations including handling lumber on pallets.   :D

Grapple for specific things, for 10% of the jobs which it does 100% better.  Picking up brush, grubbing dirt roads, picking the stumps, slabs, debris and cutoffs and tossing them into the fire, and operations such as that.  

Both play an importatnt role in our operation.  I wouldn't be without either.  Quick detach because would don't want to have to fiddle around to change implements.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!