iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice appreciated on dealing with two windblown ash in a tricky spot

Started by andysheffield, July 29, 2007, 08:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andysheffield

Hi all,

My neighbour has had a couple of 50 foot (ish) 12" diameter (ish) ash come down (actually probably more likely from the recent floods we've had than wind come to think of it.) over a stream at the bottom of his property just next to the public road.

They have both come down intact (rootballs now at 90 degrees to the floor and just avoided tearing up the road.

They are both hung up on a coppice of smaller trees at the other side of the stream that runs underneath, the working are is on a 40 degree slope and the left hand tree is also hung up on the right hand one.

I've shot a few snaps from various angles which I've posted here - --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/z66/andysheffield/

Now They're both obviously under a lot of tension from the hangup and the intact rootboll and I've not tackled something like this before.  Is it suitable work for a chainsaw or should a winch be employed to get it on the ground first?  If the chainsaw will do then can anyone suggest a cut sequence.

Any advice (including walk away!) much appreciated :)

cheers

andrew

andysheffield

Grr..the photo bucket album link does not work, I've tried to upload them to the gallery on here but they are far too big, will try and resize them later and upload.

Reddog

Thank You Sponsors!