iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Should I let it dry more

Started by NewSprout008, August 31, 2019, 05:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewSprout008

I've recently acquired some ash logs & stump slices. The tree was dropped about 4-5 months ago. I've got some pieces 8"-12" thick and some others thicker(taller). 
I'd like to start squaring them up with a router sled but perhaps I should wait. Currently, all end grains are sealed. My friend is a bowl turner and gave me a full gallon. 
Where can I add a photo? 
If that would help....

scsmith42

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  When  you get a chance, please make an introductory post.

If you have applied end sealer to your rounds, they are not drying.  Bowl turners totally encapsulate blanks in end sealer so as to keep them green until turned.

When working with rounds or boards, the goal is to have them dry - not keep them green.

Ash shrinks almost 8% tangentially as it dries; accordingly it is difficult to dry w/o having it crack.  There are some products available (namely Pentacryl) that will help prevent cracking, but it is somewhat expensive.

There are other tricks such as stress relieving the bottom side of the round to give the wood cells more room to shrink.

If I were you I'd use your router sled to clean up the ends and get rid of the end sealer. Then go from there.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!