iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yanmar diesel motors

Started by rooster 58, March 03, 2023, 02:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

My understanding is that ULSD is so dry that it would smoke the pump on every diesel on the road, but a lubricant additive is added back to the fuel at the refinery. 

My Case skid steer has a 3.9 Cummins with a rotary pump, I've never added a thing to it and it's been running ULSD since whenever MN switched over to it for off road fuel.
Too many irons in the fire

ladylake

I add some lubricity to my Case 75xt and all of my diesels.  Those older diesels were not built to run on low sulfur.  A excavating company I sell lumber too told me after several pump failures they add  lubricity to everything.  After a pump fails it's too late.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

barbender

How do we know that it wasn't just contaminated fuel that caused their pump failures?

SawyerTed

I tend to agree it is likely a fuel quality or contamination problem and may be poor filter change habits.  Based on what we've heard here from sawmill owners who depend on them, Yanmars are satisfactory engines.  

As has been mentioned already, 3 cylinder Yanmar diesels are in all sorts of equipment from concrete mixers, generators, trenchers, tractors, SXSs, chippers, small boats, large sailboats and others.  

Premature injector pump failure just doesn't appear to be a pervasive issue traceable to a manufacturing or design issue.   The John Deere folks would be very vocal about it as would be the sailboat crowd.

I just can't find anything that indicates Yanmar has any more failures than other manufacturers.  

I do see where the Yanmars are finicky when bleeding the pump and lines after running them out of fuel.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

ladylake

Quote from: barbender on March 05, 2023, 02:56:15 PM
How do we know that it wasn't just contaminated fuel that caused their pimp failures?
Those older pumps were not designed to run on low sulfur fuel, the new ones are except for the cp4 which has too steep of a cam angle compared to a cp3.   Makes sense.   Steve 
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

barbender

I'm not seeing the pump failures in the mechanical injection diesels I'm around. Just about every 12 valve Cummins put in a Dodge pickup outlived the truck, and I doubt most owners added more lubrication to the fuel when ULSD became the norm. I know I didn't. That engine is still going, on the original pump and over 300K miles.

barbender

Also, I edited where I wrote "pimp" failures😂

Magicman

Shortly after low sulfur Diesel fuel was mandated and came on line, suppliers added the required lubricant to satisfy the lubricant issue.  Adding additional lubricant may be a "feel good" practice but it is no longer required.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Yea -  a pimp riding around in a 12V is probably considered to be a failure.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

For "feel good" purposes I use these additives. 

The Stanadyne is feel good and the PS is a Bio for stuff that may grow in the tank.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Southside, I can't see any situation where ULSD would cause a pimp to fail, but that's really not my game😂

jpassardi

MM: I mentioned lubricity testing earlier in the thread - Stanadyne was found to be one of the better bang for the buck products.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Magicman

Necessary or not, it's no big deal to drop an ounce of Stanadyne and a teaspoon of PS Bio Kleen into each 5 gallon jug of Diesel.  The same fuel mixture goes in the 1974 John Deere & 2005 Kubota as well as the Sawmill's 2013 Lombardini.

Raym

Quote from: SawyerTed on March 03, 2023, 06:39:48 PM
Yanmar diesels have been used heavily in agricultural and marine applications.  
For some reason I remember that marine applications were excluded from tier4 requirements.
I was at a boat show and saw Yanmar there and was asking them about the regen on the engines. I was told that because of the fire/excess heat issue that it wouldn't be good on a boat. I would agree! 
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Dawgs8um

Now y'all done gone and triggered me on this thread. Don't know much about Yanmar, but has a good reputation around here. I do know a little about biodiesel and renewable fuels. I'm a retired chemical engineer and worked in renewable fuels some. Biodiesel and ethanol for fuel are two of the biggest scams ever foisted on the American people. Every single biodiesel and ethanol plant in the entire country would close tomorrow if subsidies were eliminated today. Last time I knew, biodiesel subsidy was about $2/gallon. 

The renewable fuels industry is full of crooks, liars, and scam artists. The people in this industry, in my experience, tended to be one of two types. Type one is a good ole boy with a little money who thought he was going to get gloriously wealthy in the next big thing. Type two was the aforementioned crook who was eager to separate type one from his money. Every type one I saw lost his money. 

I bought a used 2017 tractor in 2019 and began having problems within a few months. Took it to the dealer and the fuel system had gooey deposits in it. Mechanic told me not to run biodiesel in it as that was typical of biodiesel deposits. The previous owner must have run biodiesel, I wouldn't touch the stuff. He also showed me jars of crap he'd gotten out of fuel systems where people used biodiesel. Believe me, you don't want that stuff in your engine. 

Biodiesel must be washed to remove residual methanol. If this is not done properly, small amounts of methanol can remain in the biodiesel. Methanol is very very bad for your diesel engine. Since it is washed, dissolved/entrained water can be present in the biodiesel, a source of much of biodiesel problems. Biodiesel tends to gel more than regular diesel. Also unreacted feedstock oil present in the biodiesel may deposit in your system (probably the source of my problems). 

You can't completely avoid biodiesel due to federal mandates. Probably every diesel you buy has some biodiesel in it. Major refiners have strict specifications on methanol, water, and unreacted feedstock in the biodiesel which they add to their petroleum based diesel. Buy your diesel form a good vendor. Don't buy from that well known discount retailer with a gas station in the parking lot. Ten cents a gallon won't look so good when you're looking at thousands in repairs. Buy good fuel and keep it clean and you won't have fuel related problems. I have a 1976 tractor we bought new. Ran over 40 years before we had to do a injector pump rebuild. 

I'm a firm believer in synthetic oils. Run synthetic in everything I own , diesel and gasoline. Keeps your engine cleaner and extends change intervals. Had a 1990s Chevy with a sticking tappet. Switched to synthetic and it cleaned it up and quieted the engine. 

ppine

I have run some Yanmar diesels in sailboats.  They are highly dependable engines and pretty easy to work on. One of the best out there. 
Forester

fluidpowerpro

In a past life I did a fair amount of sailing. I agree, but also feel that a sailboat is an easy application for a diesel. Pretty constant rpm which is fairly low, and constant load.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

tule peak timber

I've drowned several Yanmars , turned them over and started them right up. My next boat will have a Yanmar stern drive. Nothing but good to say about Yanmar and Kubota diesels. 8)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Southside

I have a 3 cylinder Yanmar on my truck walk in freezer, has over 10,000 hours on it. Great little engine.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

customsawyer

My extended mill has a Yanmar with over 10000 hours on that engine. Still runs great but it was pre all this regen stuff. I think those extra temps are going to shorten the lives of any manufactures engines.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

farmfromkansas

Asked the coop about whether I need to run an additive in the diesel, as all mine are 08 or older, one is a 69, and they said they add all the additive I need.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

richhiway

Quote from: Dawgs8um on March 09, 2023, 06:48:08 PM
Now y'all done gone and triggered me on this thread. Don't know much about Yanmar, but has a good reputation around here. I do know a little about biodiesel and renewable fuels. I'm a retired chemical engineer and worked in renewable fuels some. Biodiesel and ethanol for fuel are two of the biggest scams ever foisted on the American people. Every single biodiesel and ethanol plant in the entire country would close tomorrow if subsidies were eliminated today. Last time I knew, biodiesel subsidy was about $2/gallon.

The renewable fuels industry is full of crooks, liars, and scam artists. The people in this industry, in my experience, tended to be one of two types. Type one is a good ole boy with a little money who thought he was going to get gloriously wealthy in the next big thing. Type two was the aforementioned crook who was eager to separate type one from his money. Every type one I saw lost his money.

I bought a used 2017 tractor in 2019 and began having problems within a few months. Took it to the dealer and the fuel system had gooey deposits in it. Mechanic told me not to run biodiesel in it as that was typical of biodiesel deposits. The previous owner must have run biodiesel, I wouldn't touch the stuff. He also showed me jars of crap he'd gotten out of fuel systems where people used biodiesel. Believe me, you don't want that stuff in your engine.

Biodiesel must be washed to remove residual methanol. If this is not done properly, small amounts of methanol can remain in the biodiesel. Methanol is very very bad for your diesel engine. Since it is washed, dissolved/entrained water can be present in the biodiesel, a source of much of biodiesel problems. Biodiesel tends to gel more than regular diesel. Also unreacted feedstock oil present in the biodiesel may deposit in your system (probably the source of my problems).

You can't completely avoid biodiesel due to federal mandates. Probably every diesel you buy has some biodiesel in it. Major refiners have strict specifications on methanol, water, and unreacted feedstock in the biodiesel which they add to their petroleum based diesel. Buy your diesel form a good vendor. Don't buy from that well known discount retailer with a gas station in the parking lot. Ten cents a gallon won't look so good when you're looking at thousands in repairs. Buy good fuel and keep it clean and you won't have fuel related problems. I have a 1976 tractor we bought new. Ran over 40 years before we had to do a injector pump rebuild.

I'm a firm believer in synthetic oils. Run synthetic in everything I own , diesel and gasoline. Keeps your engine cleaner and extends change intervals. Had a 1990s Chevy with a sticking tappet. Switched to synthetic and it cleaned it up and quieted the engine.
I agree! Good post. Does it still use two gallons or more of Diesel to produce one gallon of Ethanol?  
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

TimW

I got a 35hp Yanmar on my LT40 Wide.  I love it, but the fuel needs to be extra extra dry, as from water.  It likes to miss a lot with water in the fuel.  Local Yanmar dealer told me, after I ran mine out of fuel, it isn't good thing to do, but it doesn't hurt the Bosch pump.

If you like to idle your engine when not sawing for a few minutes, regen is a nuisance.  Otherwise it is just a different smell and sound and more fuel flow.

I run Power Service in all my diesel.  Like noted above, I run Rotella T in all my engines from the Honda 2 inch waterpump and 18hp Honda on my lawnmower up to the Cummins in my truck.  I do run synthetic Rotella in the generators.

When I see Rotella in stock...............I buy all I can afford.  I think I got more Rotella now than toilet paper.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Thank You Sponsors!