iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to get experience

Started by ManjiSann, August 31, 2019, 07:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManjiSann

I hope this is in the correct place as I live in the city.

I bought a chainsaw a few months ago and have helped a few friends remove some trees from their yard and absolutely loved it! Would like to try and find more opportunities to run the saw and make a wee bit of money on the side (not looking to start a business.)

Been doing a ton of reading and watching some videos and what I've basically learned is that I know very little about a very large and potentially dangerous subject. I consider myself a pretty intelligent person, able to understand physics and such but I also don't want my confidence (read that ignorance) to get me or someone else injured or damage property. 

So my question is, what would be the best way to gain knowledge and experience? I have a full time job and a family to support, this would be a hobby or side gig at best so hiring on to a tree cutting company probably isn't an option. I'd be willing to help someone who is experienced out for free or very little pay (if I'm going to be using my equipment I do need to cover costs) in my free time but have no idea of anyone local to me that could mentor me. 

Thanks for any advice, 

Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

Pine Ridge

You could check with loggers, tree service, and firewood cutters that are near you, tell them your situation and that your wanting to learn. We all had to start somewhere, keep looking and i'm sure you will find someone that will give you a chance to gain experience. Above all, be safe !!!!!
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Southside

You are getting toward ranch country there, maybe there is an older rancher who has the knowledge but the means are getting long in the tooth who would be willing to make you a deal?  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Hard to learn without trees to apply what you learned. ;D Well I mean many trees. Yes,you can take what you have been shown or saw and use that on one tree and that one tree it worked great on. But than 8-10 trees later,that one did not fall where it was suppose. Than you have try to figure out what you did wrong.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ManjiSann

Thanks for the replies everyone, all great ideas!

I don't know any ranchers, loggers, etc so I was trying to figure out how I'd go about finding such people. 

I was chatting with a fellow at church and just happened to mention chainsaws and what I've been doing and wishing I could find someone to mentor me. This gentleman used to have a landscaping business and right next to him was an arborist. He gave me his number and said to call him tell him he referred me and what my situation was and he'd likely be able to use my help and teach me stuff.  ;D  

Funny how life works out!

Brandon 

Jeff

That sounds like a great possiblity for you!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

In the northeast we have Game of Logger classes which would be right up your alley and just what you need. I don't believe you will find them around your parts. I know a lot of experienced cutters don't put a lot of stock in these classes, but they can really get you up and running safely if you don't have a mentor to get you through. Look around for some chainsaw classes, they may be available somewhere in you area. Understanding the principals and physics is very important in this game.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Pine Ridge

ManjiSann

I called and left the fellow a message explaining who I am and what I'm trying to do. 

I'm not putting a lot of hope into him calling back as I'd imagine with liability and him trying to run a business my circumstances aren't ideal for him, but who knows he may need help some time and I'd be able to lend some muscle and a positive attitude  ;D

So with that being said, if there's any forum members who are interested in mentoring someone drop me a line. Currently I'm off Wednesdays and am willing to travel a bit. I'm not looking for a job, just to be taught by someone who knows what they're doing and at the very least can teach me what not to do and why you don't do it and always like helping people out.

Until then, I'll keep lurking and reading  :P

Thanks,

Brandon 

WV Sawmiller

Welcome and good luck. I'd think working with another tree service would be even better than the GOL (Which appears to be great training for loggers) IMHO because of the hazards associated with so many tree service jobs. Learning to delimb and take a tree down from the top in pieces small enough to control without damaging structures, fences and utility lines is a real art. I also think one of the first things you are going to need is a very good liability insurance policy. Scraping the bark off or even hanging a tree in another in the forest is a whole lot less traumatic than landing one on a family's house roof or knocking out the power for a city block. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Pine Ridge

Being GOL certified would be good to have on your resume when applying for any job involving chainsaws.

ppine

You can start by knocking on doors after a wind storm and cleaning up wind thrown trees.  Most are good as fire wood.  Some have ornamental potential like black walnut or cherry.  You can charge to remove the trees, then sell the wood. 

Start by running your saw on fallen trees.  Don't fall any until you learn some more. 
Forester

Thank You Sponsors!