Stihl 045AV Clutch

Started by FarmerDownunder, June 20, 2021, 07:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarmerDownunder

I have a classic Stihl 045AV Electronic Quickstop.  When running (which is almost always) it's a beast and functions well.  Today the chain drive went kapput and the issue appears to be related to the clutch.  I've searched online for parts for this clutch type to no avail (it's the single spring type - see photo)

Any leads as to where I might find parts for this type would be much appreciated.

sawguy21

Have you checked with our sponsor Chainsawr?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

welderskelter

Looks like the clutch is all there and still together. You sure it is the clutch? I also have an 045. You are right it is a beast.

FarmerDownunder

Sawguy 21 - I will contact Chainsawr and ask although I couldn't find anything when I checked their website.

Welderskelter  I'm pretty sure the clutch is the issue, but stand to be corrected.  There are, from what I can see, three shims behind the front plate that assist it to engage.  One of these is clearly broken and appears to be part of the issue.

Any ideas as to how I remove the clutch - is a special tool required?

donbj

Quote from: FarmerDownunder on June 21, 2021, 02:50:37 AM
Sawguy 21 - I will contact Chainsawr and ask although I couldn't find anything when I checked their website.

Welderskelter  I'm pretty sure the clutch is the issue, but stand to be corrected.  There are, from what I can see, three shims behind the front plate that assist it to engage.  One of these is clearly broken and appears to be part of the issue.

Any ideas as to how I remove the clutch - is a special tool required?
Looking at the sprocket it looks like it threads on. Make a jig that fits the sprocket and a socket and give it a blip with an impact (left hand thread). I bet it pops off.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

FarmerDownunder

donbj - The sprocket did indeed come off with a fair amount of coaxing and threats.  40 years of grime didn't help but some lube, a jig, persistence and a spud hammer won out eventually.

The problem is indeed the shim on the clutch  No to find the parts.....

Thanks guys for the tips.

welderskelter

I wonder if a regular 3 spring clutch wouldnt fit

welderskelter

It does show both on ebay.

FarmerDownunder

welderskelter - can you forward the ebay link as I couldn't find anything resembling it there.  I did try Chaisawr however they are too busy doing repairs at present to check through their stock.

FarmerDownunder

Part sourced and on its way so that should be the end of the problem.  Thanks all for your advice.

welderskelter

They didnt show both of them together but it does show the 3 spring for the 045. I think mine has a three spring. I was mistaken when I said ebay. It was in images in google. My bad.