iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

funding for planting?

Started by planter1, February 05, 2009, 12:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planter1

Anyone know of any organization who presently has grant money for tree planting and or wildlife habitat restoration? the Farm Bill projects are broke.

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.
One post is enough... ;D

Where are you located?
Have you contacted your state or district Forester?

In WI, trying to get trees for this year is too late. Need to do that negotiating in the fall.

What can you tell us about what your interests are in planting, and what you've tried so far?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ID4ster

How big a project or how many trees do you want to plant? Generally you have to plan for planting and secure the trees for a spring plant in the late summer/fall of the previous year. There may be some EQIP funds available but again you have to plan a year in advance and have a management plan that details your planting project. Give us some details on where you are and what you want and we should be able to help you. Welcome to the forum.
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

planter1

I just became the owner of 187 acres in Mississippi, it was cut and replanted 4 yrs ago. A drought killed nearly all trees on 80 acres and it needs re-planted with loblolly pine. Approx 70 acres survived and are doing great. The other 37 acres are low and border water with cypress and water oak left from the cutting. We want to replant the dead pine, brush overgrown 80 acres with pines and make most of the 37 low acres wildlife habitat by planting hardwood trees and wild native food source plants. I have a WHIP application in, but they are broke and list 66 unfunded projects ahead. Same thing with EQUIP.
I need help with clearing the brushy 80 acres and replanting and with the hardwood forrest tree and planting cost. I'm tols that I can get the beavers out, ditch the low 37 acres and plant pine, but we want to leave a native hardwood forrest for future generations.

woodtroll

You have tried federal programs, have you tried the state level?

There are rumors of money coming for forestry in the new big give away (I mean bail out).

planter1

I'm not sure, but I think that the Fed programs are administered by the state's forestry dept.

woodtroll

Fed programs are usually are administered by NRCS with help from the state level. Depends on the state.

Most agencies and programs would want you to have a written plan in place. The plan would lay out a time table of when each practice should be implemented and where.
It should also cover how you are going to do the different practices. It would include number of seedlings you would need for the different areas.

Plans are also good to give you direction, idea of cost, and a time frame for the project.

Thank You Sponsors!