iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Greenhorn's initial sawing season 2019-20

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 06, 2019, 08:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Well yesterday I felt lousy and just went out to dress up the plowing. I didn't even plow around the mill, wanted to see if I get less ice by not plowing. If I need to I can plow it when I need to saw. It was only 5 inches, but it is staying cold around 12) at night, so it may last a while. I am not going out tonight either, full day at work with a surprising 'safety stand down' for 2 hours that messed up everyone's day (there was a very minor fire and somebody up the ladder freaked out). It's not worth the oil getting the shop up to heat just for an hour or so and I still need to take it easy. So I have been making a BOM for the electrical work, and doing some thinking. I went back through some photos and found this one, which happens to be exactly 1 year ago today.

Although I didn't know it when I took the photo, it was this snow that shut me down until the spring. After that we got just enough snow to keep the skid road un-usable until spring. I had just cleared out any wood and tools I might need and brought them up to the shop as the snow was beginning the day before. This makes me feel good about relocating the mill up behind the shop. Now I can use the mill through the winter unless we get clobbered with 30" or something.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

Well I have been laying low this week, I really want to kick this bronchitis/cold thing in the worst way. I feel like winter is half over and i still have a lot of winter projects planned. So I have been doing just an hour or two at night at the most. Last night I went out and stripped down the table saw. I need to go over it, rewire, oil, tighten things up, etc so i didn't mind taking it apart. I like to know my equipment and I found some stuff to fix as I took it apart, so win-win. Can't get it up the stairs in one piece anyway. I took off the motor, router table, fence and fence rails as well as unwired the motor. Now it's just waiting for some young and dumb helpful young guy to stop in for a visit and lend me a hand.

Tonight, I cleared out the table saw spot, mostly. Because I have not had time to finish moving stuff and I have wiring to do to the box/bench before I can make a proper top (I have a nice 1" thick Formica desk top I am going to put on it) and I have to build the shelves underneath. AT this point I keep bouncing back and forth not seeming to get much done. I move stuff over here, then clean the area, and re-stack somewhere else. It will get done but it's slow right now. I have a bunch of stuff moving out to cold storage, which will also help. So here is the saw spot ready for filling.

Then I took a few minutes to look at the bench and rethink. I decided how to do the shelves and will be pulling one piece of plywood I put on without thinking where the shelves would be. Also realized I had that nice top waiting to be used, so will have to do that. I might have to piece it. In clearing the floor I took 2 of the small machines planned for the bench and stored them up there for now.

Funny story about that little drill press. That belonged to my Grandfather, it's a little Walker Turner. My Grandfather was a smart guy, a licensed Steam Engineer, he had a few patents, could make anything or build a house. He did some work on the side in his basement shop for a guy named Tesla when he had a lab in Shoreham Long Island, maybe you heard of him? Anyway, my grandfather built all the machines in his shop. When he built his lathe, he started by making the patterns and had the castings poured, then he did all the machining. As I recall, it had an 8' bed. He did the same with his big drill press, the milling machine I don't remember much about, and he had grinders he made from shafts, pillow blocks, and spare parts. This little drill press was the only factory made machine in his shop. My Dad bought it for him in the 40's as part of a small contract job my Grandfather was doing for my Dad's company. Anyway, I have it, and it is one of only 2 pieces I have from his shop. The other is a small tool post grinder he made from parts. I love that little drill press, very delicate. Right now as you see it, it has a tapping head I adapted to it for running #0-80 tapped holes in a tiny brass job I used to make years ago. I did a full restore on it in the 80's and when I wipe the dust off, it looks like new. I will put the chuck back on it when I get things finished up. Can't wait to let my son use it. That will make 4 generations on that little machine. Maybe get my grandson's in on a little project and make it 5? I hadn't thought about that until just now.
 Not really making much headway, but I just try to keep moving forward.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

ManjiSann

Looking good! Fun story about your grandpa and that drill press!

Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: ManjiSann on January 24, 2020, 11:16:52 AM
Looking good! Fun story about your grandpa and that drill press!

Brandon
Yeah, I don't know why, but I get pretty sappy about stuff like that. My Grandfather died when I was about 6 and I truly wish I had some time with him when I was older to understand his life better. He started as a merchant seaman at the age of 13, spent a month becalmed in the Indian Ocean once. Moved to the USA in about 1892. He built two homes for his family over his lifetime. Had the first house with electric power in Howard Beach, NY (batteries and a generator). Started a few business. Was a founding member and later Chief of the South Aqueduct Fire Department, and of course that stuff with the that Tesla fella all interest me greatly but is largely lost now.
 But I still have his drill press and a few other hand tools and trinkets.

ManjiSann

The more you say about him the more interesting he becomes! It's sad how so much history is lost.

It's cool that you still have some of his tools. Wouldn't it be cool if they could talk and tell stories?

Keep up the great work and the fun anecdotes!

Brandon 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: ManjiSann on January 24, 2020, 05:40:53 PM
.... Wouldn't it be cool if they could talk and tell stories?
In a way, they do. They bring my Dad's stories to mind about my Grandfather, so in that respect, they do talk to me. And they help me remember the way both of them worked and approached things so much better than I ever could. 
 Anyway, back out in the shop tonight blowin' and goin'. I was getting frustrated that I am spending so much time on this little bench and other details that I decided to just whack it together and get it done tonight. It looks lousy, but it's very functional and when I paint it, it should look better. Except for the 2x4's I milled for it, everything else is scraps, including the Formica top. Some is 1/2" ply, some 3/4", and some 1". I don't really care. I need to get rid of the scrap and the bench is more than solid. It will work just fine. 

I got all done and when I was walking down the stairs I clearly noticed that in my haste, I messed up and one shelf strap is 1" higher than the other. (It's hard to tell when you are working upside down.) So I'll have to re-do that one strap tomorrow. I just laughed at myself. Slob.
The view from above now shows the shop as a pig sty. The mess has got me frustrated. This should be a clean open bay.

Upstairs is even worse. All this stuff needs to be organized, both the back half....

And the front half...

I started this 'little project' thinking I could get it done over the holiday break. Now it is looking like my whole winter project. Not what I planned. I have work to do. ;D Tomorrow I will paint that bench because I don't really like looking at it the way it is. Then I will start to get wiring to that bench and maybe start moving the little machines on it. Wiring all that stuff in will kill time, and I have stuff to move out to cold storage too. We will see how much rain we get. Maybe Sunday.
 While we were working last week and looking at the layout, I came up with an idea for lumber storage that would also use dead space similar to that box/shelf/stair cover thingy. Gotta make some more lumber for that. Need to finish this first, but that would be a huge help.
 It just seems like it never ends. I desperately want to get some of my drying slabs in the shop and start MAKING stuff.

doc henderson

you may not want to eat off the floor, but that is a shop that work is getting done.  genius!.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

ManjiSann

OG, Doc is right, that is a shop that work is getting done! 

You've been a bit under the weather and yet you're still making amazing progress, seriously give yourself a pat on the back or a high five or both. It looks great and you did it all yourself. There's not 1 man in 10 these days that can pull off what you're doing or is even willing to try. It's frustrating to have a time frame in mind and not meet it, believe me I understand that (its why I stopped guessing when I'd get my basement done, it'll get done when time, energy and money allow.) I know you've got things you want and even need to get done but try and relax and enjoy the ride and take some time to look at all you've done and feel dang good about it my friend! 

I wish I lived closer to you, I'd be over there helping you because dang you've got some drive and some skill and now some really cool stories about your grandpa that'd be worth all the work just to hear (can you tell I like a good story about how it used to be back in the day :))  

Anyhow, sorry, don't mean to be on a soap box or preachy, just hate seeing a friend so frustrated.

Keep up the awesome work and stay safe my friend.

Brandon 

doc henderson

I just read the "caution" tape.  very funny!  " danger men playing" smiley_carpenter_hit_thumb :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Of course, you are right Brandon. It's just what I do, I beat myself up to keep myself moving. It's part of my process. ;D I have to remind myself I am lucky I have that work space. After 30 years I am finally getting it close to what I planned the week we moved in. That loft I am working on now has been on my mind for all that time and very shortly I will be actually using the space  8). It just seems to be taking too long, that's all.
 Good Lord, you are lucky you don't live closer, once i start telling stories it's hard to know when to stop. :D I have done a lifetime worth of dumb stuff.  Well, it's time to get back there, fire up the heat and do the two things I hate to do most besides spackeling: Painting and wiring. Hope I don't run out of oil again.
 Doc, I was wondering if anybody would catch that. I have had that roll for about 10 years waiting for the right application. Seemed like the time.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Well today was a long 10 hours of doing stuff that doesn't really show but needs to be done. First I fixed the cock-eyed shelf. Then I got out the paint (thought I had white, wound up with grey from the previous loft job) and I painted the bench inside and out. I hate painting. Ran out of fuel (for heat) when I finished, so I went out and got more so it would dry properly. It does look a little better. Note the EMT coming up from the floor I have mentioned before. That was the next task, one that I dreaded.

So I started. Geez, the guy that wired this place had no clue. Who uses red wire for an equipment ground..... sometimes, then it's black in other places. Then he has one circuit feeding through another box. Just trying to undo the damage. I spent as much time trying to figure out what he did as I did running wires.
While I was trying to parse all this mess out, the Grandsons came over and decided to build 'houses' with will the saw scraps from the floor and loft.

This one, the youngest, is going to be a plumber.

Anyway, I finally got that EMT run up off the floor and out of the way. I drop the control switch over the new bench and still have to finish the drop to, and through the bench. That is tomorrow. For now, I have the fan run up on the ceiling and everything is wire nutted off so I can run that fan to keep the air moving.

So now at least, I don't have that thing sticking up in the way and I can stop tripping over that run across the floor (who does that?).

So I still have to put a quad box in over the bench and drop down through the bench to put in a box to hard wire most of the grinders, sanders, and buffers that will be hard wired in. I foresee another day on that, at least. For as hard as I worked I sure don't have a lot to show for it that I can see.

doc henderson

that looks like the place where young men get to know their grandpa.  god bless!

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on January 25, 2020, 09:51:33 PM
that looks like the place where young men get to know their grandpa.  god bless!
It's either this, the sawmill, or the woodlot. I am not much on video games. Legos I can work with.....to a point, then I let them take the ball and I watch. We are still working on getting them to know the shops safety rules. NO running, watch what is happening around you etc with some success but it is a process. ;D
I think they would rather play with sawdust and wood blocks (with a toy dump truck thrown in) than most stuff. When we do a painting project, lets just say one needs to be prepared.

[edit to add]; Actually, I had to come in for dinner while they were cleaning up the mess they made with their Dad. They had my sawdust and chip pile pulled across the whole shop. Wonder what I will find when I go out there in the morning? Well, it was due for the next level sweep and clean anyway. :D

thecfarm

I had a 3 year old grandson help me once. Well more than once. One of my friends came over and we watched the grandson swept dirt INTO the garage. I can still hear that friend laugh about it. RIP Ron. I just laughed too. One good thing about a 3 year old, they can't move much dirt at a time and their attention span is short.  ;D All that matters, he was having fun. In his eyes he was doing a great job and helping.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

I do love having the boys in the shop. I believe it sets the tone for how you get things done in life, piddling or working in the shop and fixing or building things for yourself and family. Not playing golf or watching TV. However, a pre-requisite for that is that they learn the fundamental safety rules early and well because they are too young to understand the seriousness of an accident and I am not ready to demonstrate that for them. My son, being a single Dad with 3 boys has his hands full, but is doing a good job. we both stress often that when we lose it and yell at them, it is not because we are mad, it is because we are concerned for their safety, that's all. We still work on this all the time. For our part, we remain consistent in that rule and we don't yell, we talk calmly and explain things (over and over and over), but for safety, that is a different thing. We keep it pretty simple "stand right there and don't move until we finish lifting the truck and tell you it's OK."
Right you are, attentions spans are short, sometimes milliseconds. Constant repetition is required and sometimes this is tough when you are working on a problem that has you stymied.
But it is worth it. Small things make a big impact, and I can never figure out which ones. Last year I took a mostly rotten 21' pine log and milled a 6x6 timber to help in determining if the mill was cutting true. It worked out and I had the timber laying on the side when the boys came around. So I took the timber and laid it over another short block like a see-saw. They had so much fun with that simple toy. Every time they came over they kept asking where it was so I finally had to tell them I sawed it up and made a work bench down by the mill and showed them. But then they just asked when we could make another one. It still comes up from time to time. I guess I have to make another one when I tweak the mill as the weather warms up. ;D
Oh, and that sweeping thing, yeah, I see it all the time. the push broom concept takes time to perfect. The 4 year old still thinks it is a 'push-pull' operation. We are working on it because they know that before you leave the shop, you have to sweep up. Many times there are fights over the brooms, guess I need more.

doc henderson

richhiway

Plumber!

Nothing better for those boys. You are a fortunate man.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Old Greenhorn

Well, small progress again today (did I mention I hate wiring?). I had a rough night last night and was up for over an hour in the middle coughing and trying to get my head cleared out (I note there is very little activity at on the Forum 3am). As a consequence, I slept in...way in, and didn't get up until very late. Started in the shop around 11am. First order of business was to finish getting power to the bench and get that all cleaned up. That took an hour or two and didn't come out too badly.

Had a quick lunch and back at it. I dis-assembled the grinder bench that has been stuffed in a corner and unusable for 30 years. The wiring on all the machines is cracked and needs replacing. My Dad built that little bench and it was tricky to get it apart, he didn't waste any space. I carried everything upstairs and set it all on the new bench to start figuring out how to fit this stuff. The goal is to permanent mount everything and tie all the wiring directly into a box under the bench. Keeping it all clean and neat and uncluttered as well as usable. The only units that keep their lead cord/plug will be the sander and little drill press in case I need to use them somewhere else, all others are hard wired in.
 Should be easy, right?

These all have to be cleaned up and re-wired first, then mounted. I need to add a switch for one because it has a line cord snap switch on it now, and I don't like those.

This will probably kill any evening time I have this week at least, and I am away next weekend for a festival. It should be easy just a little tedious. It's the 'uncluttered' part that may be a challenge. Lets see what I can come up with. I think I have a plan, but I keep getting this sinking feeling that I am forgetting a piece that should go up there. I also want a small vise on there too.

Nebraska

Looks good making progress, that set up will be really handy when you are done. I love the story about your grandfathers connection to a fellow named Tesla  btw...I hope you throw this chest cold soon.

jeepcj779

Hey OG, just wanted to let you know it is 3:00 am in NY and all is well on the FF.

doc henderson

I thought I read you were going to "hard wire" these tools but I see a double duplex in the center.  I think that is good so you can easily work on or switch out tools.  You stated you are not a fan of wiring, but wondered if you would want a master switch to that plug,(light switch) so little ones cannot walk by and turn on a machine.  just a thought and prob. not needed.  we are all just trying to keep you busy! :D

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on January 27, 2020, 09:11:51 AM
I thought I read you were going to "hard wire" these tools but I see a double duplex in the center.  I think that is good so you can easily work on or switch out tools.  You stated you are not a fan of wiring, but wondered if you would want a master switch to that plug,(light switch) so little ones cannot walk by and turn on a machine.  just a thought and prob. not needed.  we are all just trying to keep you busy! :D
5 of those pieces will be hard wired in so that I have no exposed wires to collect dust/dirt/chips and tied into a box under the bench. I suppose I could add a switch, but the boys are really good with the machines, they just don't touch them. 2 units (the sander and the drill press will plug into that quad outlet) as well as a point of use light I put there after photos. Those switches, as well as the fan control (hanging from ceiling box) are unreachable for little hands. They do love to play with the fan control when they had access to it, so we fixed that. ;D :D Once I get all the machines re-wired, cleaned and bolted up I will think about that switch and where I would put it.

ManjiSann

Looking good OG!  Red and black wires for ground  :o :o :o :o  As a DIY guy I shouldn't cast aspersions on others but... well let's just leave it there.

I don't mind wiring, I take some pride and satisfaction that I know how (at least I think I do and nothings burned down yet and it's even passed a couple inspections so fingers crossed) that I know how to wire. It always cracks me up, I have 3 sub panels in my house, all installed by me. Do I actually NEED that many? Eh probably not but since I'm the electrician and it only costs me supplies I did it and I think it will pay dividends in the future. Each room has at least one circuit, the office has two and all the lights are on their own circuit with the plugs on theirs. I hate when multiple things that to me don't go together end up on a circuit... breakers are dirt cheap but I guess it costs money for professionals to do their jobs so compromises are made. Ok, bragging over, I'm just blessed to have the skills to do what I do. 

Heh, sorry, ego hijack over. Shop is looking fantastic and I have no doubt you'll be super grateful you put in all this work down the road!

I'll add my sentiments to Nebraskas, hope you get feeling better soon my friend!

Brandon 

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 27, 2020, 09:30:07 AMI will think about that switch and where I would put it.

Put right up there with the fan control!  Have it cut power to the quad box and all the hard wired stuff.  Done!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!