iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

another black locust question

Started by alanh, October 14, 2010, 04:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanh

As covered in previous threads (you folks have been a big help, thanks) I`ve milled up a buncha black locust for a deck project. I`m at the point of putting down deckboards, actual dimensions of 1-1/16" thick and 3-1/16" wide. I don`t want the screws to show and I like the idea of the Kreg tool method over the Ipe clip for a couple reasons. IMO it looks to be a stronger  method of attachment as well as being faster. I wonder if water will accumulate in the biscuit cut groove of the Clip system, also I hear the clips are visible from the top thru the gaps.
The problem I have with the Kreg tool is it doesn`t appear that you can install with a gap of less than 1/4" which I would be o.k. with if it wasn`t going to get much bigger than that.
The locust was cut down over a year ago, milled ,stickered, and covered in December. I finished sawing and planing n august and the wood has been stacked in my unheated garage. I hear it`s a relatively stable wood, I`m wondering how much shrinking/movement I could expect? I`m planning on getting a moisture content but I haven`t made it over to my buddies to grab his meter.
Thanks, Aan

tyb525

Since it will be outside, there will be shrinkage/expansion with temperature changes, and when it rains and then dries out. I do know it will last a year longer than forever, but in order for it to all stay together you'll need to make sure your fastening method does too. I wouldn't rely on anything that uses glue, and use high quality outdoor fasteners.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Den Socling

Black locust is very stable (verified by the DKOM). I don't think you are going to notice the change in width with the change in MC. IMO

Thank You Sponsors!