Sponsors:

Bob White Quail

Started by WDH, June 23, 2019, 08:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

Quote from: sawguy21 on June 26, 2019, 11:22:46 AM
You don't want to. ;D
You got that right!!
A moose kicks like having both barrels of a 12 gauge hammer gun go off an inch from your shoulder 'cause your thumb slipped off the hammers!!   :D :D
HM126

barbender

What exactly do the fire ants do to quail, get the young or prevent the hens from nesting? 
Too many irons in the fire

Texas Ranger

Quote from: barbender on June 26, 2019, 05:24:41 PM
What exactly do the fire ants do to quail, get the young or prevent the hens from nesting?
They attack the hatchlings of ground nesting birds.  It added the last level of predatory pressure to the little birds.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

YellowHammer

We used to have lots of quail, now I rarely hear them.  We never had fire ants, but they have invaded and are now everywhere.  Nothing else has changed, as far as I know.  Same fields, same crops, same farmers, but no quail.  Nobody hunts quail here anymore so they aren't over hunted. I try to leave fields fallow for them and turkeys to raise up.  Occasionally I will hear a covey.    

I agree, the fire ants are incredibly effective at finding and attacking any meat, living or dead, on the ground.  If the birds can't defend themselves, they will suffer.  

I can't even walk in the yard or fields barefoot without getting bit by fire ants. How could a little bitty sweet ground living bird survive?  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Have had a family of Carolina Wrens hatch out a family on the porch every year for a while now, one year they ended up inside when I left a window open - oops, actually didn't cause any real issues other than making sure the little ones found their way out when the day came.  Anyway last nigh was the big empty nest night.  Momma bird was making quite the racket while the little ones were zipping all around.  One will be back next year I am sure.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ellmoe

Quote from: Southside on June 27, 2019, 12:13:05 AM
Have had a family of Carolina Wrens hatch out a family on the porch every year for a while now, one year they ended up inside when I left a window open - oops, actually didn't cause any real issues other than making sure the little ones found their way out when the day came.  Anyway last nigh was the big empty nest night.  Momma bird was making quite the racket while the little ones were zipping all around.  One will be back next year I am sure.  

For three years we had a wren nest in a loader. We parked in the same place every evening and the nest was built and eggs laid before I noticed it . During breaks , at lunch , at closing , and whenever else I could , I'd park the loader in the same place. As soon as I'd exit , the wrens would return and tend the young . All hatched and survived the fledgling stage . Amazing little guys.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

YellowHammer

I had one not so smart but super determined bird start nesting in the blow pipe of our dust collector a few years ago.  Whenever we turned it on and off, several times a day, whatever nesting materials it had deposited, got blown out, and the momma bird would try her best to fly into the pipe with the blower running.  It was like a salmon trying to swim up a water fall.  Quite a site.

She finally found a better spot to nest.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Weekend_Sawyer

We used to have a lot of quail around our house in Maryland and in WV.
I haven't seen one in many years.
In the last 10 years there has been a lot of logging done in our valley making for some very nice under story. I'm thinking it's time to re introduce them.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Magicman

Quote from: YellowHammer on June 26, 2019, 08:19:24 PMI agree, the fire ants are incredibly effective at finding and attacking any meat, living or dead
A few years ago we had a disabled nursing home resident that was killed by fire ants.  They somehow invaded her room and completely covered the lady and she was unable to summon for help.  It was a horrible situation.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

My introduction to fire ants was on the side of the road back in the day.  Had stopped to look for a bug spot, and stepped in the ant bed as I got in the truck.  60 foot down the road they hit, I jammed breaks, jumped out and dropped trow on the side of the highway.  Got a couple of honks.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

barbender

Magic, that is absolutely horrible!
Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

TR,

I don't know if fire ants are telepathic or what but when you step in a bed as described the first one on you doesn't bite and give you warning to clear the area. He waits till 100 or so of his siblings are there and they all seem to bite on command. I've seen them in periods of high water floating down the backwater in clumps of a couple of gallons of ants. They hold together and make living rafts. They were bad in N. Fla but fortunately we don't have them up here yet. I think the winters are too cold and I know they like sandy soil to build and nest in. I had a buddy who used to melt lead and pour it down the ant holes and it made some real neat figures as it ran down the side branches and tunnels and cooled.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

I used to live in Orlando as a kid.  I got conditioned to feel the soft ground when I stepped in a fire ant nest, and instinctively would jump out before getting mobbed.  It became a reflexive action.

Decades later, whenever I step on an unusually soft piece of ground, I'll still subconsciously hop up in the air.
YellowHammerisms:

ellmoe

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 28, 2019, 08:57:02 AM
TR,

I don't know if fire ants are telepathic or what but when you step in a bed as described the first one on you doesn't bite and give you warning to clear the area. He waits till 100 or so of his siblings are there and they all seem to bite on command. 
One will release a pheromone , and then they all join in the fun!
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WV Sawmiller

Ellmoe,

I can testify it won't be the first on on your leg or at least not till the whole family gets on too.  yikes_smiley
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!