iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

drag sharpener fix

Started by pineywoods, January 10, 2019, 08:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

My old wm drag sharpener quit. Can't really complain, the thing is 24 years old, doesn't ow me much. The control circuit board smoked. Parts are unobtainum. Looked like time for a new one, but my scottish ancestry demanded at least a try at fixin. A search on ebay turned up a 20 amp dc motor speed control for $7.50 Deleted the push buttons for start and stop, replaced with a spst toggle switch. Removed the old circuit board, and mounted the new speed controller in it's place. 4 wires to the new board and I'm ready to go. Ok, I lost the automatic shutoff, but never used that anyway. Works like a champ

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

I have never questioned nor doubted your ingenuity my Friend.  Nice fix !!  ;D

Tell Nelda "Hi" for us.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

Because of the fact that I have an old drag sharpener I'll keep this in mind. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

And for those of you that do not know, I was absolutely not referring to Nelda as "an old drag".  

Seen here with PatD at Nelda and pineywood's home.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

Quote from: Magicman on January 10, 2019, 10:16:31 AM
And for those of you that do not know, I was absolutely not referring to Nelda as "an old drag".  

But still, I'm sure that she does her share of sharpening. (Pineywoods might be kinda dull without her smile.)  :)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

barbender

Piney, I wished you lived next door to me- for many reasons, not the least of which is all the things you find a way to fix things!👍
Too many irons in the fire

pineywoods

I long ago got tired of the 3/8 thick 7 inch grinder disks used on the old drag sharpener. I use the 4 1/2 wheels off a hand held grinder. $.99 so I am cheap. Ok, the hole in the center is a bit larger, but a quick and dirty bushing fixes that. The smaller disk is only 1/4 inch thick, requiring a different sharpening procedure of multiple passes. A still un-resolved problem is the coolant pump. The original went west I don't remember how many years ago so I switched to a submersible aquarium pump. The permanent magnets in the motor attracts iron filings in the coolant, clogging things up. Couple of big magnets in the tank helps, but not quite enough. I use water with a little diesel fuel mixed in for coolant. Yeah water and diesel fuel WILL mix if you keep it stirred.   
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

donbj

Awesome! Thanks for this. I have one of these sharpeners as well but fortunately it's still going strong. Does the feed rate switch still work or do you use the one in the new controller?
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

pineywoods

Quote from: donbj on January 12, 2019, 11:54:43 PM
Awesome! Thanks for this. I have one of these sharpeners as well but fortunately it's still going strong. Does the feed rate switch still work or do you use the one in the new controller?
The old speed pot no longer served any purpose, so it went to the parts bin. New controller came with it's own pot, mounted in the hole vacated by the original.

Thank You Sponsors!