iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poplar bark siding

Started by Riggs, September 16, 2014, 09:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riggs

I had a friend bring me a poplar log a few weeks ago, said I could have the log if I would try to save the bark from it. I have heard of poplar bark siding, but never seen any. He wants to try it on one wall of a shed just to see how it does. He is planning to cut it into 12" -18" wide x 12" tall pieces and put it on like shingles. This was my first try at it, and I will do alot of things different if I try again, but it turned out ok, at least he was happy.
Have any of you ever had any experience with it?

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A naked Poplar.  smiley_curtain_peek
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

It looks like it'll work.

What's he going to treat it with?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Riggs

I don't know Chuck, he will probably just use a water sealer from Lowes or something similar, if he uses anything at all.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

warren46

Back when I was a young man I spent a summer in the woods sap peeling poplar pulp wood.  Just make a slit through the bark on the top of the tree and then strip the bark off using a curved spud.  Peeling the full length tree was the easy part in the spring and early summer.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

kensfarm

Wow.. nice job at taking the bark off in whole pieces.  I would have ended up having to make the guy wood shingles. ;D

scleigh

Riggs, I don't have any experience with the poplar siding, but have heard that either gilkey or parton lumber in Rutherford co. Are into it.  From what I've heard, folks are using it like cedar shakes.

Southside

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 16, 2014, 09:24:44 PM
A naked Poplar.  smiley_curtain_peek

The curse of the naked log..... it cant be.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Seaman

The log is usually ringed every 3 feet or so with a chainsaw, then scribed down the length with the saw, then pulled off with spud. That way it can be stacked on pallets . Not sure about drying process, I think it is left banded to the pallet to dry.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Chuck White

Quote from: warren46 on September 16, 2014, 10:00:46 PM
Back when I was a young man I spent a summer in the woods sap peeling poplar pulp wood.  Just make a slit through the bark on the top of the tree and then strip the bark off using a curved spud.  Peeling the full length tree was the easy part in the spring and early summer.

Been there, done that too, Warren.

There are different times of the year when each species of wood will peal real easy, the rest of the time, you'd have to remove the bark in small pieces.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

curdog

The market has dropped off from what it once was. About 7-10 years ago people were slipping on to private and usfs land and cutting the bark from the standing timber. I've asked a lot of loggers if they still cut the bark to sell, and most said they don't do it anymore. But the spring is definitely the best time to get the bark,  it will just side off. I saw a bunch of homes around Boone that had poplar bark siding. It looked okay,  but it wasn't for me.

brendonv

Im currently drying some flat. Im using it at the too of the gable as an accent on my shed. I think its super cool.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Riggs

Thanks for all the input, I think my friend just wants to experiment with it a little and see how it looks.

Norwood ML 26

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've seen guys build bookshelves and put the bark on the ends. Looks good.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

jwilly3879

Many of the Great Camps here in the Adirondacks use bark for siding, mostly cedar but I have seen White Birch and Aspen also.

LittleJohn

Spring is always the best time to get the bark off of a tree

...up until a few years I would cut and peel cedar posts (to help my hobby of making swings).  Let me tell you, it is far easier to peel when a log is green vs dried out; if it dries out you pretty much get to break out the draw shave, a strong vise, some strong arms and pray your back holds it all together

Thank You Sponsors!