iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Off road diesel

Started by nativewolf, May 24, 2023, 07:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

What are folks paying?  I ordered 1000 gallons today for 3.35- it is a bit cheaper than pump prices (3.49-3.69) but the biggest savings is not going to the pump.  My first time filling the tank, need to pump it out tomorrow I think there are a few gallons that have sat since I bought the tank over a year ago.  Cash flow had not really supported using the tank, with James death last year I just didn't really feel much like working, then another bout of cancer.  We've taken care of cash flow so figured it was time to start using it.  
Liking Walnut

chevytaHOE5674

I need to order about 1500 gallons here pretty quick. I called last week and it was $3.03 down from $3.13 2 weeks ago. Hoping it'll dip below $3 here pretty quick. Or knowing my luck it'll be $3.50 when I order. Haha

Firewoodjoe

I'm sorry lol but I've been paying around 2.90. Last week was 2.88. I guess I shouldn't complain about that either. I went to the local Napa and bought a case of grease and gallon 15w40 rottela wow! Glad I don't buy it there in bulk. stuff is getting better but the mills keep dropping prices. Pulp took another hit around here. Their inventory seems pretty low too. My guess is they're shooting for pre pandemic prices. 

chevytaHOE5674

Joe you live close to civilization and on normal shipping routes. UP here is the end of the road and everything that gets delivered here is the end of the line one way trip. Transportation in and out of this area is expensive because we aren't "on the way" to anywhere.

Firewoodjoe

Yeah I know. It's getting too busy around here. I can't even stand going to the big town on Sunday. Maybe I've spent to many days in the woods. 

nativewolf

A bit jealous down here in VA.  30 cents a gallon....that's a few steak dinners.  Well I can't afford steak but some nice fried chicken.
Liking Walnut

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: nativewolf on May 24, 2023, 08:09:29 PM
A bit jealous down here in VA.  30 cents a gallon....that's a few steak dinners.  Well I can't afford steak but some nice fried chicken.
It adds up! I never used to buy bulk.  But when fuel just started its rise I had them fill my tank. (Had it for years never used it🤦‍♂️) and now I try to shop around and buy all my stuff in bulk. Petroleum products mostly. I get oils and grease cheaper than a mechanic/auto store. And by a lot of $$$! Whenever I have some good savings and get the itch to buy something cool I look over my inventory first. 

nativewolf

yes it does!  We are going to be looking for somewhere to buy hydraulic oil by the barrel.  I hear it is much cheaper.  
Liking Walnut

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: nativewolf on May 24, 2023, 08:34:08 PM
yes it does!  We are going to be looking for somewhere to buy hydraulic oil by the barrel.  I hear it is much cheaper.  
It can be. But not always and in my case anyways it's more of a pain to transfer it into a pail anyways to got to the woods. I buy 5 gal pails by the pallet. But I do have to dispose of the buckets. Usually a couple a week in the garbage tote keeps up. Around here the place you get your off road delivery from will also deliver drums of oil. Mine was the same price as a pallet of 5 gal. 

nativewolf

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on May 24, 2023, 08:43:37 PM
Quote from: nativewolf on May 24, 2023, 08:34:08 PM
yes it does!  We are going to be looking for somewhere to buy hydraulic oil by the barrel.  I hear it is much cheaper.  
It can be. But not always and in my case anyways it's more of a pain to transfer it into a pail anyways to got to the woods. I buy 5 gal pails by the pallet. But I do have to dispose of the buckets. Usually a couple a week in the garbage tote keeps up. Around here the place you get your off road delivery from will also deliver drums of oil. Mine was the same price as a pallet of 5 gal.
Pallet of 5 gallon would be much nicer to deal with.  
Liking Walnut

OH logger

$3.04 for off road and $3.74 for road fuel. Delivered 2 days ago here. Better than it was but wish it was cheaper. I'm buying engine oil by the gallon jug and hydraulic oil in 5 gallon buckets. I hate drums.  Messy 
john

nativewolf

I was curious to look at the historic inflation adjusted price.  

Short-Term Energy Outlook - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

I guess this is about average.  I am curious that it is 10% higher here than you guys in the midwest.
Liking Walnut

Southside

NW try Rural King, they are in your neck of the woods.  They will make deals on hyd oil.  I picked up 4 barrels for a lot less than any other option I had, including my fuel supplier.  I use an air pump and have no mess.  If the equipment can't come to the pump then I just use 5 gallon pails as a transfer method. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

quilbilly

I'd kill for diesel in the 3's. We are over 4 I believe. 
a man is strongest on his knees

Skeans1

Quick easy transfer jug is a 5 gallon race gas can, get a system started where you only use certain colors for the different types of oils. Myself I hate pails they're a mess waiting to happen, they're hard to pump from and normally hard to pour out of.

BAN

Quote from: quilbilly on May 24, 2023, 10:45:53 PM
I'd kill for diesel in the 3's. We are over 4 I believe.
Getting 1000 gallons tomorrow at $4.19. Gotta love the left coast.

chevytaHOE5674

Don't always assume that the bigger bulk quantities are the best deal. I just bought a bunch of hydraulic/tranmission oil I run in all my equipment, bought a pallet of 5g pales for ~$17 a gallon, in a 55g drum it was $24 a gallon. It is a Mobil product and they happened to be running a promotion this spring on the 1g and 5g sizes, the 55g was not included in the sale.

And although it's a pain often the 1g jugs of 15w40 engine oil can be had on sale cheaper than the buying in larger quantities around here.

Moral is do the math and see what's cheaper.

barbender

NW's Ponsses use a vacuum pump that work very well with 5 gallon pails.

It uses about a quick connect 1.5" rubber hose. One shortcoming is that is impossible to keep the end of that hose clean. I put a section of 1" iirc black pipe, long enough to reach the bottom of the bucket, into the rubber hose. I left a threaded end on it so I could put a pipe cap on it. A quick blast of brake clean on the outside of the pipe cleans it up if necessary.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Chevy, what you say about buying in bulk is very true. It makes no sense to me that you can buy fluids in 1 gallon containers cheaper than a 55 gallon drum, or a tote. But that's the way it is. One of the most glaring examples of this is bar oil, in my experience. This winter, when I was running harvester I ended up having to get 1 gallon jugs of bar oil as that was all that was available where I get fuel. I was feeling bad, thinking about the money I was losing my boss buying it in gallon jugs. Well one day I was able to get over to the local oil supplier so I was going to fill up my 2.5 gallon jugs. I was kinda shocked to find it was $3 more a gallon🤔 I guess I had been saving the company money the whole time🤷

OH logger

I run Shafers engine oil and if I remember right it's .$50/gallon cheaper to buy it by the drum versus gallon jugs. Non issue for me. Gallon jugs are way handier. My brothers use an air pump
Like south side has. Now that is handy as a front shirt pocket. But my salesman from shafers claim I should shake the gallon jugs of engine oil a bit before pourin em in the engine cause the additives can possibly settle out. That's hard to do with a drum lol
john

Old saw fixer

I use Schaeffer's products as well, good stuff.  My local NAPA carries it. 
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

moodnacreek

A logger I know would go into tractor Supply and ask how much bar oil they had. If they had alot he would ask the manager to call home office and get a cash price for all of it.

nativewolf

Quote from: Southside on May 24, 2023, 10:09:26 PM
NW try Rural King, they are in your neck of the woods.  They will make deals on hyd oil.  I picked up 4 barrels for a lot less than any other option I had, including my fuel supplier.  I use an air pump and have no mess.  If the equipment can't come to the pump then I just use 5 gallon pails as a transfer method.
You are right we do have them here.  I will have to try that, thanks 
Liking Walnut

Ventryjr

$3.55/gallon on Rez for off road around here In western NY.   I was in Hartford CT this week and saw a sign for heating oil $2.85/gallon. 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

quilbilly

@BAN are you getting ready for fire season? That quick warm up a few weeks ago made the snow over here on the wet side disappear fast
a man is strongest on his knees

BAN

Quote from: quilbilly on May 26, 2023, 11:11:02 AM
@BAN are you getting ready for fire season? That quick warm up a few weeks ago made the snow over here on the wet side disappear fast
Yes we are. We had a very cold spring but not unusually wet so this could be a bad fire season. They are predicting a late hot summer so we shall see.

Hogdaddy

3.00 a gallon is what I give for the last I ordered. AW46 hydraulic oil was way cheaper by the barrel for me, I saved over $5 a gallon, and I it was better oil
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

Firewoodjoe

What's the hydro oil prices? My last pallet was $35 a pail. The cheap stuff. Meets all major specs it says 🤷‍♂️

Firewoodjoe

I've been thinking about buying the drums from my fuel supplier. Name brand and they deliver. I don't know pails are nice. 

nativewolf

I like southsides idea of buying a pallet of buckets.  Get a per gallon discount but still in a bucket.  I have a couple of leaks on my forwarder grapple at the moment.  2 lines, the rotator, and a cylinder.  The lines will get changed in 2 weeks when we can shut down for a day and do some deep maint.  The cylinder can get repacked that day too.  The rotator...that's maybe going to drip oil.  I am pretty sure I don't want to do that repair and am thinking about the best way to get it done (do a long shutdown and just send it out is my favorite option).  

Anyway, I have always used a bit of aw46 and I expect that continues.  
Liking Walnut

barbender

NW, sometimes the rotators will leak from a little plug in the side. Iirc it is a 10mm Allen head, and it has an o-ring that can go bad, causing it to seep.

Skeans1

Quote from: barbender on May 29, 2023, 01:47:58 PM
NW, sometimes the rotators will leak from a little plug in the side. Iirc it is a 10mm Allen head, and it has an o-ring that can go bad, causing it to seep.
When doing that double check that the rotator shaft is sitting square in the bore of the base. If not loosen all mounting bolts as well as the two side clinch bolts and tighten the wedge in with the grapple square on the ground.

Skeans1

Quote from: nativewolf on May 29, 2023, 01:29:48 PM
I like southsides idea of buying a pallet of buckets.  Get a per gallon discount but still in a bucket.  I have a couple of leaks on my forwarder grapple at the moment.  2 lines, the rotator, and a cylinder.  The lines will get changed in 2 weeks when we can shut down for a day and do some deep maint.  The cylinder can get repacked that day too.  The rotator...that's maybe going to drip oil.  I am pretty sure I don't want to do that repair and am thinking about the best way to get it done (do a long shutdown and just send it out is my favorite option).  

Rebuilding the rotators isn't that bad of a job it just takes a little bit of time and patience. As far as oil goes I can get a 55 drum cheaper then a 55 in pails most of the time and we use the race gas cans to haul the oil in it's much easier to deal with then 5 gallon pails with the shape being square and the top is larger.

OH logger

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on May 28, 2023, 10:34:55 PM
What's the hydro oil prices? My last pallet was $35 a pail. The cheap stuff. Meets all major specs it says 🤷‍♂️
JD hygard is about $100/5 gallon I think. My skidder hyd system uses JD hydrau XR. If I recall it's about $200/5 gallon pail 😮 
john

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: nativewolf on May 29, 2023, 01:29:48 PM
I like southsides idea of buying a pallet of buckets.  Get a per gallon discount but still in a bucket.  I have a couple of leaks on my forwarder grapple at the moment.  2 lines, the rotator, and a cylinder.  The lines will get changed in 2 weeks when we can shut down for a day and do some deep maint.  The cylinder can get repacked that day too.  The rotator...that's maybe going to drip oil.  I am pretty sure I don't want to do that repair and am thinking about the best way to get it done (do a long shutdown and just send it out is my favorite option).  

Yeah that's what I do. But it's not good oil. Cheap off brand stuff. Wood's equipment usually is fine. Because blown hoses and such. Oil is usually very new.  Just don't use it in a clutch application. 

BargeMonkey

There is a glut of oil right now. The economy is slowing down, I'm watching oil barges get stacked due to lack of work. 
My price thru the holiday. Almost .20 between 87 gas and onroad, it's all a racket. 

Firewoodjoe

I guess. Take the good with the bad this year. 

B.C.C. Lapp

Just bought off road diesel this morning.   $3.11 a gal.   I'd like to see it back down under $3 but that aint gonna happen.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Firewoodjoe

Mine was 2.60 Friday. 

chevytaHOE5674

Paid $2.90 for 1400 gallons a week or so back. Knowing my luck its a good bit cheaper now....lol

Firewoodjoe

Yeah mine was bouncing around 2.90 for a long time. This was the first below 2.88. 

Thank You Sponsors!