iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can anyone direct me to a chainsaw review/comparison

Started by brdmkr, July 19, 2005, 11:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I'd like to purchase a good small saw for limbing.  Currently, I am considering an Echo 305, but would prefer to do a little research first.  However, I am having trouble finding very much in the way of comparison.  Does anyone know of a web site that compares chainsaws for performance and value?

Thanks
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

RSteiner

If you are looking at the basics like displacement, weight, fuel capaticy, chain pitch, and the like you will have to compare one saw spec. sheet with another.
Most saw manufacturers have a "professional" line of saws as well as a ranch or homeowner line. 

Looking strictly at displacement from one saw to another you may not see much difference however horsepower to weight ratio may be different.  There is a big difference in price between the professional saw and the homeowner variety.

What brand to buy is up to you, which one has a good dealer and which one do you like, the brand that one person swears about another persons swears at.  The bottom line is they all cut wood, some just better than others.

Randy
Randy

DanG

Mike, I know you'll find this hard to believe, but I have an opinion on this. ::) :D

I'm an Echo man. I like'em, and I like my dealer.  That last part is the most important.  Stihl and Huskie make good saws, too.  However, I noticed that you have an Echo dealer right around the corner from your house.  Why don't you drop in and talk to them?  Try and get a feel for their attitude and knowledge.  They may, or may not be interested in chainsaws.  If not, go somewhere else. I'm sure the other brands have dealers in Bainbridge.

I will probably invite myself up there to see your new mill this weekend. ;D 8) I'll bring both of my Echo's along, and you can try them out.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Old_Town

I have an Echo 305 and 346 I love them both. I also own a Husky 55R and I like it too. The thing I like about Echo is the price. You can buy Echo products on Ebay for a fraction of the retail price. I think Echo is one of the best saws for the money and they always start and run good.

Old_Town

rebocardo

> Does anyone know of a web site that compares chainsaws for performance and value?

Consumer Reports does comparisons.

If you mean limbing as in tree climbing, I have no opinion. If you mean on trees already down and stuff that has fallen along with small fire wood, I like the MS-180c. I compared all the small saws and ended up with this one even though it cost more then just about everything else.

Light, nimble, and chain tension is real easy.

sigidi

MIke I can offer you one review......

I just love my 372XP 8) 8) she is the best thing since way before sliced bread, really compliments my swinger in color sense too ;) ;D

DanG if ya make it up there, get some pics for all of us, we're almost as stressed out as Mike waiting for his mill ;D :D
Always willing to help - Allan

brdmkr

I will take some pics of  the new mill this weekend.  I don't know if I'll actually be cutting anything, but I will at least set it up and make sure all of the parts are there ;)
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

redpowerd

id like to see that comparison, guess  you gotta go to popular science. or come right here and do some search homework.

it would be nice to see a study by a dozen experienced sawyers on all the saws on the market.

ill bet its right under our noses right here on the forum.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

SawTroll

Quote from: brdmkr on July 19, 2005, 11:30:04 PM
However, I am having trouble finding very much in the way of comparison.  Does anyone know of a web site that compares chainsaws for performance and value?Thanks
Have a look at this site:http://www.kwf-online.de/deutsch/pruef/pruef_index.htm

Select "Bereits geprufte Produkte", and then "motorsagen". It is the best I have found so far, but it mostly covers Stihl, Dolmar, Husky and Jred saws, and is far from perfect.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Information collector.

pantherlakecutter

I'd like to say Hi to everyone as I'm new here

I've used this site in the past for chainsaw reviews and recommendations

http://forestry.about.com/library/tree/aabyb-chainsaws.htm

rbjones03

I own a poulan, a homelite, a snapper and a stihl. I've used them all and then some others for the local VFD. The stihl is by far the best engineered and reliable saw I have ever held. IMHO
Peterson WPF 8 HI-LO Large Frame

pantherlakecutter

I agree with rbjones03, to a point. I've used my 70s Stihl 031AV to cut hundreds of cords of firewood (both commercially and for personal use) and fall trees up to 33-40"" in diameter with no problem. It has never failed me and has never required any major work. Some of the newer Stihl "homeowner" saws are'nt up to any serious cutting from what I've witnessed. If you want a serious saw their professional models are still hard to beat, although the Huskies are excellent and I've cut with a lot people who swear by them. Up here in northern NY you rarely see anything but Stihl, Huskies and Jonsered saws being used by the professional cutters. All three have proven themselves over the years.

pantherlakecutter

Sorry..forgot to mention Echo. I have cut with several different sizes of Echo and was impressed with their speed, power and apparent sturdy construction, although I haven't used one for an extended time. I would consider replacing my 031 with an Echo 346, because I'm not doing a lot of cutting anymore and that Stihl is like tring to pull start a cold Harley.

Thank You Sponsors!