iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally fulfilling a dream

Started by Paschale, October 29, 2020, 05:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

I haven't been around these parts for a decade or so, due to the crazy unpredictability of how life takes us on different paths than we expected...but we also have some choices along the way too, and the desire to get my great Uncle's 1985 LT40 Woodmizer up and running and making sawdust again has never left me. And now, I'm committed to doing that. I've just spent the past three months working to get my octogenarian parents out of their little ten acre farmstead, and into an apartment, and in the process, I was struck by the tragedy of seeing a lot of my dad's dreams never get off the ground, just because of the passage of time, and realized that the same thing can happen to me. (I'm happy some of his dreams did get realized in his time there—and I suppose it's better to leave the earth with a few undreamed dreams, because that's what helps us live longer lives—so to my dad, I say, "keep dreaming!") Anyway, it was a wake up call for me, and so I'm going to get the thing running again before next spring.

But this leads to my question: my brothers and I (along with my dad) have always dreamed of having a place of our own on our ancestral land up in the U.P. of Michigan.

What's the story on using lumber you milled yourself, for building, in Michigan? My dad is 82, and we'd love to build a place up there before he says farewell to us all. And I think this dream could help him keep dreaming! 

To JeffB and and all the other old-timers around here, I hope you guys are well! 
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Durf700

you should post some pictures of the mill in its current state and what you think it needs.  i'm sure the fellow members will give you pointers if you are unsure how to proceed with getting the mill going again.

welcome back!

sawguy21

Welcome back my friend, it's been a long time!! Can't help you with the mill but will offer encouragement.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

samandothers

Great on you for pursuing the dream!  It will be fun for your brothers and dad too.  

nopoint

I am a firm believer that no one ever looks back and says, wish I would have done less! We will never get it all done, but might as well start.

chet

Well I'll be DanG'd, ya are still kickin'. Good ta hear dat yer reviving dat cabin dream. Ya may want ta hold off 'till spring, as da snow is goin' ta start pilin' up shortly.

Da best bet for yer lumber question, is ta try to talk to a couple local builders in that area. Code interpretation varies greatly from one area to another UP here. Do not go straight to the local building inspector, get all yer ducks in a row first.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Roxie

Say when

moosehunter

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Don P

Well how about that, welcome back  :)
You are going to have to ask the question of the local building dept at some point. The worst they can do is require that the lumber be graded by someone from an accredited grading agency. Most of the agencies have a transient lumber grading service. Some departments allow an engineer to sign off on the lumber, and some don't enforce that law. Until you ask, you won't know. The building official will want to know what you intend to build so it would be good to have a plan or at least a good idea of what you intend to build. It is potentially red tape and we all chafe under the bit but it needn't be a deal breaker.

thecfarm

Good luck to you. Fulfilling a dream is nice thing to do.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!