iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Was it priced too high?

Started by maple flats, May 15, 2021, 07:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

After selling my Peterson of 17 years, and then finding out the new mill I ordered won't be shipped until about 3 1/2 more months, I actually looked at a CSM. It was for a 36" bar but only came with a Chinese Holzfforma G070 saw with a 24" bar. Supposed to be 105cc. It had a strap winch on the frame and a 9' top track was included. Looked to be in excellent condition. However I passed on it even though I'd thought of getting a csm a few times just for making slabs. The guy wanted $1400 and I thought that too high, especially with the Chinese saw and only a 24" bar.
Any thoughts? To me it sounded like the price was higher than it was when new.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

olcowhand

I think I have about that into my whole setup: New MS661CM, Granberg Mill, 36" Bar and two Ripping Chains, and an add on Winch. I use an old Aluminum Ladder section for a rail (Thanks for the education @goose63 !). This was setup back in '18.....
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

maple flats

This was all used but looked to be in good shape. The 2 things that I thought were 2 high, were the Holzfforma saw  and the fact that it only had a 24" bar. Plus the chain was not a ripping chain. My understanding is that the Holzfforma G070 is a Chinese copy of a Stihl 070 and parts inter change. I just try to stay away from Chinese anytime I can. I did offer him a price of $400 for the mill without the saw. Which was almost what it would cost new except I never priced the aux. hand winch. I already have a Husky 365 with a 34" bar I could use for what little such milling I'd do. I might have even used the CSM to cut a timber for a header on the saw shed I've designed for my HM130Max Woodland mills. The opening I want will be 18' for where the log deck meets the saw shed, then a 8x8 post on each end, thus I'd want to saw a 20' timber. That part will have a 8/12 pitch  steel roof so snow load will be minimal. Me HM130Max, unless I get another extension will only cut a 16.6' log. I have also thought of making my own track extension. My brother could profile the track, he has a milling machine and is an excellent machinist. He could make a 4' extension and the connectors to join it .
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

mike_belben

I built a CSM rig for free and after a few slabs realized even that was too expensive! 

;D :D
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!