iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quaking Aspen

Started by GAV64, October 02, 2003, 04:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAV64

I came across the forum about 6 months ago and have (from a distance) been soaking up all the knowledge thats available from all you who contribute, thanks. So I finally registered yesterday and here is my first question, early in the summer I was thinning out the sledding hill (my 7 year old daughter, my real boss, wanted a little more variety, i wanted more safety). I have now ended up with a pile of about 20 12 to 20" diameter quaking and big toothed aspen logs and don't know what to do with them. I was thinking of sawing the into 6x6's and making a TF storage shed, I believe the strength characteristics are similar to eastern white pine ( wood web chart). Any opinions out there? what other uses for aspen? thanks. I have a brandy new LT-15 set up an ready to go, hobby only, so i will probably be asking lot's of questions of you forum members.

BBTom

Sounds like a fantastic project to me. Take boards off the outside of the log for your siding.  use the hearts for your timbers.  Just remember that pictures are required. We all like to see the good, the bad and the ugly of what another member is doing.  Have fun and enjoy that new mill. Congrats on joining the ORANGE TEAM.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Minnesota_boy

Whatever you do with the aspen, keep the sun off the pile while they are drying and the material will end up closer to straight.  I finish a pile with a layer of slabs if nothing else is available, stickered of course, and that much shade seems to really help.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

ohsoloco

Welcome, Gav  :)  Have you done any timber framing in the past?  We have some good info. on the timber framing board.

GAV64

Gentlemen,
Thanks for your input. It is my understanding that these species cannot be used where they will get wet (i.e. siding, ect...) am I correct. As for the timber frame thing I was planning to use steel connections like the ones by Socket Systems or make my own like the famous guy in the pink cape. glenn.

BBTom

I believe the correct statement is that they cannot be used where they will stay wet.  As long as they can dry out (as in vertical siding) they will last for many years.  My saw shed is sided in poplar, was built in the mid 50's, and the only problem with the siding is where someone ran into it with some piece of equipment and broke a board or two.  just haven't taken the time to replace them.  
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Minnesota_boy

Quaking aspen is real prone to warping with a differential drying, such as one side being hit by the sunlight.  If you let it get wet and then dry again with bright sun, it will warp some more.  Once it is dry and kept that way, it is a strong wood.  I have it in my house for floor joists and it certainly is stronger and stiffer that the pine next to it.

I don't have poplar availabe here to compare, but it may not be as prone to warping as quaking aspen.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

whitepe

Welcome GAV64!

Yippee,  another LT15 owner.  Gotta love that
orange.  I am sure that you will have lot's of
fun sawing up your quaking aspen.

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

ronwood

Welcome GAV64. Hope you will enjoy your LT15 as much as I do my LT40.    

Go Orange !!
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Thank You Sponsors!