iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chestnut or rock oak

Started by 4430jd, December 17, 2012, 08:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4430jd

I have alot of chestnut oak,is there any advantage quarter sawing the larger trees.

Red Clay Hound

Chestnut Oak is a variety of white oak.  It is a very desirable wood for quartersawing!
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Ironwood

I dont know for sure, but generally if it isnt white oak the fleck/ray are shorter and look more like Lacewood (an import) which still has fleck/ray just very short, still neat just in it's own right. Pin oak is certainly shorter, but that is a red....

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.advantagelumber.com/images/lacewood-wood.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.advantagelumber.com/lacewood.htm&h=262&w=580&sz=56&tbnid=TBFI7GaoNVBWBM:&tbnh=53&tbnw=117&zoom=1&usg=__zhAgudeBOyI-0qntTtvlpiGZ2xA=&docid=BFqKCrWFE4wpWM&sa=X&ei=rMPPUNjODKq00QHl_4HwDQ&ved=0CD4Q9QEwAw&dur=281

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WDH

I would not hesitate to quartersaw it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

Definitely quarter saw the larger diameter logs; chestnut oak is one of my favorite white oak species.

Keep in mind that it is one of the few species of white oak that is open pored, so it is not well suited for outdoor applications.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom L

I quarter sawed a bunch of chestnut oak last month, and the ray flecking was really nice.
very nice wood to saw. it looked great when finished

learner

Okay gentlemen what am I missing here?  I've done the math and viewed so many quarter saw videos that my brain is hurting.  And no matter How you do it, you're allways sawing horizontally to the pith from one side of the log or the other.
I mean you allways have to saw flat to get square edges on a circular object.  Even flat sawing you are getting quarter sawn wood at some point.  So where am I not understanding?
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

WDH

You can make the log an octagon and not square.  That gives you clamping surfaces so that you can orient the rings in the cant perfectly to get the perfect quartersawn pattern.

Thank You Sponsors!