iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 290

Started by stevem, November 24, 2013, 11:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevem

Anyone advise how to remove the fly wheel on a Stihl 290 farm boss?  Thanks.

thechknhwk

I used an impact on my ms250.  I think it was reverse thread, I'm sure someone else will know.  The engine compression was enough resistance to break it loose, but I gave it short bursts, so I wasn't turning it over much with no lube.  I tightened it with a ratchet by placing a screwdriver in the flywheel to stop it from rotating.

sawguy21

The flywheel nut is right hand thread. A knotted rope in the spark plug hole is a safe way to keep the crank from turning, Put the screw driver away, it usually results in broken fins and a new flywheel.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thechknhwk

That's why I specified that I tightened it with a hand tool.  I'm no saw mechanic tho.

stevem

I got the nut off, but the wheel itself is really the problem.  Is it just pressure that is keeping it on?  Do I need to use a pulley puller type tool to get this off.  It looks like it's easy to break.

AdkStihl

Quote from: stevem on November 24, 2013, 07:31:42 PM
I got the nut off, but the wheel itself is really the problem.  Is it just pressure that is keeping it on?  Do I need to use a pulley puller type tool to get this off.  It looks like it's easy to break.

The taper on the end of the crankshaft is holding the FW on.
Put the nut back on the end of the crank as to cover the threads and while holding the saw up by the flywheel, have a buddy give the nut a quick blow with a hammer. The FW should pop right off.
Hold the saw a few inches off the bench while doing this.

Don't use a puller
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

If you are going to thump it do not use a metal hammer unless it's a lead hammer .Use a piece  of hard wood to soften the blow else you could really screw it up .

I never removed an 029 flywheel and I have no idea what special tool is used .I don't think it has threads like most pro models .They might be a flywheel in a box of dead 029's and 039's in the shed  that died trying to act like pro chainsaws for a tree trimming company .Too much for them ,they tried but they couldn't make it .

H 2 H

A little pressure from underneath the flywheel with a long screwdriver and a tap with a brass hammer always works or use a air impact gun ;)
Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

joe_indi

Have a look at this video that I made. This is a Stihl FS130 brushcutter engine. The method to remove the flywheel that I have used is the same as that described by AdkStihl. This is the easiest and safest method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxzcR5jD5KM&feature=c4-overview&list=UUTXsjxdq7vygiF7QGtisrvw

Thank You Sponsors!