iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

felt like a dog chasing his tail

Started by backwoods sawyer, February 25, 2014, 05:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucer

There have been a few fatal GPS encounters around here, mainly because people didn't know that they could change the level of detail the units show. The really sad one was a couple from BC who had their unit set to the highest resolution. There were out in a snowstorm and followed what turned out to be a logging access road. It might have taken them to their destination in the summer but in the winter the road wasn't plowed. They got stuck, the guy went for help and never returned. The wife was eventually found (by chance) by some outdoors types. They didn't find the husband's body until the spring.

I still remember a club get-together a few years ago. A bunch of members came from Calgary by car -- all of them knew the route. One guy from Calgary rode his bike. He hadn't made the trip before but he had his shiny new GPS with him and he sure as heck didn't want to be held up following those auto-mo-biles.

So there we are, standing around, waiting for the guy on the bike to show up. He finally called on his cell phone. "Where are you?" asked his buddies. "Fort Saskatchewan," he replied, "and DON'T SAY ANYTHING." Having rode for 4 hours, mostly in the wrong direction, he was now looking at a 10 hour trip to get to us. Should have taken him only 8 hours from Calgary.

I didn't know the guy, and I didn't say anything directly to him, but I did remark (in a fairly loud voice) that I had this fancy new paper thing called a "map". That was not well received.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

schakey

I use a Rand McNally trucker's gps,mapquest on IPhone,IPad when in a motel and check paper maps when I am going to a area I never been before. GPS is great but you have to be careful with it.
The thing will try to route me 40 miles out of my when I need to cross the GW bridge and tries to keep me off Long Island 495 because of low overpass( there is none) and these are truck routes.
And yes I still get lost in the Big Cities dangle_smiley
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Thank You Sponsors!