iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraska and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Old Greenhorn

DO dumb things, win dumb prizes. I did it bigtime today, well I started doing it two weeks ago, but I got the big finale today for my effort.
 I have been madly trying to get this new to me trailer ready for my first show of the season (tomorrow). I installed new wiring, a battery, switches, gauges, etc about two weeks ago to handle lights, USB charging at shows and other stuff. When I put that all in, I put an inline fuse at the positive terminal strip, about 12' from the battery. I did not have one to put on right at the battery and I knew I should have one right at the source, but figured I'd pick one up on my next shopping trip and stick it in. I forgot. Everything worked just fine, I kept moving on and got it all done. Today I did my final packing and tying down. All looked good, quite fine in fact. I was happy and just dressing things up. One of the things I wanted to do was screw a pool noodle on the side door header because I kept whacking my noggin' on it and dang, it hurts! So I ran a few screws in and had trouble with the cheap foam, the screws would cut right through I had to try a few times. I caught an odd smell while I was getting frustrated and thought somebody was burning plastic trash. I looked around, found nothing, kept working, smelled it stronger, then noticed white smoke rolling out of the top of the front wall inside the trailer. Not good. Of course the battery is buried under some stuff I have strapped in. I glance at the meters and they are blank, not power on them. I quickly unstrap and start removing the gear and finally get to the battery and removed the positive feed. Damage was done, oh BOY was damage done. That positive feed from the breakout box to my terminal strips was absolutely fried right through. Yeah, in case you haven't figured teat out yet, I ran one of the 'noodle screws' right through that wire causing a direct short. So I puled and cut out all the melted part I could get to and dead ran a fresh new wire and fix a few other wires that got damaged. Took about an hour and a lot of contortions. Everything works, all hoked back up. I will get an inline fuse and install it at my earliest opportunity. Man that was stupid, still is until I fix it right. I almost burned the whole trailer, and all my stock, to the ground. Glad that Styrofoam insulation is not flammable.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

RetiredTech

Now that sounds like something I would do. ffcheesy
Glad the trailer and your stock survived.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

Texas Ranger

I drove a sheet rock screw though a 110 volt romex, shocking experience. One wire in an 8 foot wall.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Old Greenhorn

I hate romex. Call me an old fart or whatever, but I like BX in walls, I know it's a PITA to work with, takes longer, and costs more, but it makes  it hard for idiots like me the screw up. 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

Tom, that's just bad luck.  What are the odds?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

GAB

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on April 27, 2024, 10:37:49 AMTom, that's just bad luck.  What are the odds?
With his luck, or lack there of, the odds are pretty good.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

aigheadish

Whoa, nuts! Glad you figured it out quickly! It's not common for me to screw stuff to walls with maybe power behind them but when I think about it it's always nerve wracking. I have a wall in my shop that needs some covering and I should remember to take a picture of where the power is first... 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

doc henderson

I try to have a standard (if only to me} and put wired going across a wall at the same height so I can avoid this.  you can put the metal cover over wood to stop penetration, but in a thin wall you may hit it between supports.  I have weather-proof 12v breakers on my dc stuff.  some are resettable and others cool off and reset.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

DbltreeBelgians

Tom, did you say you hate romex? Hmmm?
Remember my post #34? I'm not seeing the issue ffcheesy
Ok I guess screws and wiring could be an issue 

Brent

Sawmills and Milling / Re: Did something dumb today.
September 04, 2023, 03:44:36 PM
We'll it's my turn,
I sent Bill a text of these pictures and story to make sure it passed muster for this thread.  ;D  @firefighter ontheside 
Anyhow I was moving a drill press into an addition I built onto my shop and noticed the table was out of level on it so I decided to level it out. After getting it level I was tightening the nut on the trunnion and I put my hand on the base and felt a tingle. Nah that wasn't a shock so I put the wrench on the nut and my left hand on the base and zap!!  electricuted-smiley What the??
So I unplugged the drill press and commenced to analyze the situation. The drill press checked out ok so I got my handy dandy little 3 light tester out to test the receptacle. Hmmm it said hot/neutral reversed. I call BS!
I tested the others on the wall and all checked ok. Time to pull the receptacle. Kill the breaker. Break out the Fluke meter. Pulled a couple other receptacle's to find the source of my issue. Checked continuity on the hot. It's ok. Checked the neutral. That checks good too. Checked ground. Hmmm, say open. Turned breaker back on and started testing. Noticed some ground wires looked loose in one of the outlet boxes. Grabbed the needle nose pliers and gave them a good twist. Test again. Still showing open ground on the suspect receptacle. Check another box. Twist some more ground wires. Now why did them needle nose pliers go flying across my shop. franken-smiley Oh yeah the breaker. Kill it again. 
Back to suspect outlet box. Grabbed ground wire and gave a tug. It moved. We'll that ain't right. Pulled half of the ground wire between boxes out of the romex sheath. Houston we have a problem. Grabbed the hot wire and started pulling and I felt it pop and half of it pulled out too. Now I got issues. Here's what I found.

Now what's the odds of that 4" screw finding it's way into that little hole that's cross drilled in the stud and piercing that romex? Apparently pretty good. Now ya know why they nail them little metal plates on studs near a wire or pipe chase.
All I know is I got pretty *DanG lucky and might wanna play the lottery.
Had that been a pine stud and not hardwood and no insulation in the stud pocket my shop might have torched.

That screw has been there for several years. It was attaching a stair stringer to the wall. I never gave it a thought when I put it in that I'd line up perfectly with that wire chase. 3-1/2" screw would've never touched it.
The red circle is where the screw was.

Be careful y'all 

Brent

doc henderson

Hey Brent, Thanks for doing that so we could all learn our lesson.   :wink_2:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SawyerTed

This is an example of poor planning.  Dumb...

The hopping Johnny and plate compactor were already rented today. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

Uh oh - how many square feet is the new addition? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

Well you won't need to do any arm and shoulder workouts at the gym for a while...... ffcheesy
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Peter Drouin

Hope you put a lot of water on it. If your doing concrete. That will help settle the sand.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

burdman_22

Well it's not the most dumb thing you'll find on here, but I did my first dumb thing on day one of owning my mill, and with the practice log provided for the woodmizer training! The osage orange log they had me mill for training had metal in it! Sawed through that piece of metal like 7 times (trainer sawed through it the first several times and I sawed though it a few times too).

SawyerTed

At least now you are familiar with the sound of hitting metal - Zzziiinnnggg!  

Magicman

Quote from: burdman_22 on May 03, 2024, 10:45:20 PMSawed through that piece of metal like 7 times (trainer sawed through it the first several times and I sawed though it a few times too).
Yikes, but again there was an audience.  ffcheesy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

burdman_22

Honestly I wad a bit surprised that they supplied a log with metal in it, made several cuts through the metal, but then didn't offer me a new blade or offer to sharpen it or anything.

Magicman

Looking back, I am sure that you know what you shoulda done, but that is now behind you. 

Whether you can continue the cut depends upon the angle of the nail

IMG_5610~0.JPG
IMG_5624.JPG
The above two pictures show nails that were perpendicular to the blade and I was able to continue sawing to the cant end.  I actually maybe could have continued sawing but the blade marks would have been bad and the blade probably would have heated up and lost tension. 

IMG_5623~0.JPG
This one was at and angle and the blade immediately took a dive.  There was nothing to do but get the chainsaw out.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nebraska

So I found out today just how good a three point tiller is at winding wire. 😖   

Found some long rotted off snow fence buried in the weeds at a friend's new place he's working on. Found an old T post with it.  
Wire was good but all the little lath boards were gone. 

Southside

Disc mowers are really good at doing that too - or so i have heard.  ffcheesy
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Resonator

Kind of like snow blowers that can wind extension cords like a winch... or so I've been told. ffcheesy
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

K-Guy

I've heard jeep axles are good at retrieving barbed wire.  smiley_roller
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!