iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Today's happy customer

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 27, 2019, 02:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliver05262

Folks will travel sometimes just for the enjoyment of the journey. 
 A couple of years ago, I decided to clean some "stuff" out of the back of the shed. There was an old stone boat that I got at an auction for $10 that I hadn't used for 20 years. It even had character with one busted board in the middle, so you had to just put rocks there that couldn't roll out. It did have a good steel front end. I put it on Craig's for $20, thinking I'd have some room to dicker.
 Several days later a gentleman called me about it from way up in Eden. Beautiful country, but it is quite a ways from me. He said he wanted it, and would mail me a check. That he did, and I called him and said I would hold the stone boat until he could come. 
 Quite a while went by, but he eventually called me and said could he come down on such-and-such a date? Sure thing, I'll have coffee on if you want. The man and his Brother-in-Law arrived in a short box F150, and after we visited, he decided we could load it up. Ten foot stone boat, plus 18-20" of steel on the front. By now, the BIL was trying not to burst out laughing. I didn't know what that was about, but it was finally decided I should cut the front off, and he would just take that home. Probably $20 was still less than it would cost to make that 30" wide, upturned piece of 3/8" plate with a rod welded around the edge for reinforcement, even if you had the steel already. I asked it he wanted the wood to take home for the stove, but he said no, so that got put on my wood pile. Splitting it up to fit my stove door reminded me why nobody wanted to have Elm firewood if they could get anything else.
 Before they left, the BIL couldn't hold it in any linger. Told me that my customer got a speeding ticket on the way down, somewhere in Londonderry or Winhall. 
That will be a cherished thing, that stoneboat. He does enjoy his horses, though.
I suspect he came all the way down on Rt 100 to Londonderry, then west to Manchester and south on 7. Scenic ride, but 150-160 miles any way you cut it.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday, during the bright sun shine I had a visitor from "the dark side":

He didn't stay long because the "force" was strong in me.

Later on I had a happy customer who came over to pick up one piece of round edge pine.

Today's happy customer was from a towing company in Worcester, MA who got some planks to fix their low bed.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

Today's two happy customers drove up from the Brox, NY to pick up a 2" piece of clear white pine for a vanity top and other projects. They also got a 1" piece of clear white pine with one natural edge for shelving. And a 4' piece of pine for a coffee table top.

Thanks Kiana.

They saw what the wanted on Facebook marketplace and made an appointment to pick them up. I had to cut them back to fit in the short car. But they were happy and said they'd send me a picture of everything when they have them done.
Jim Rogers

Old Greenhorn

Holy cow! They must have driven past 200 saw mills to get to yours!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Bruno of NH

Jim has great service that's why they made the trip
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

Facebook is working well for you!!! ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Rogers

Yes it is Cfarm. I have sold over 150 pieces of lumber since June 28th through that method.
I'm very happy with it.
Jim Rogers

PS. I had another unhappy customer who called and wanted some 2x10's or 2x12's dry. I didn't have any of that.

Brandon1986

Scrolling through your pictures... most people in your area don't believe in real pickups do they?  I saw 1 half ton Chevy and a 1 ton Ford.... Oh and the KW.. I don't know why this strikes me as amusing.  I guess where I live most everyone drives at least a half ton platform of some type or another.. Not many people are trying to cram 1x18'x7' boards in their cross over  :D :D

Jim_Rogers

Today's happy customer was a couple of workers from a towing company that came over to pick up some 6x12x4' oak pieces, some 6x6x4 oak blocks and some 4x6x4 blocking for them to use to move a D6 bulldozer next week.
I was the happy camper as they brought a nice check to me.

I have to make the same order for another heavy hauling/towing company as well.
I'm not looking forward to wrestling with more 6x12s. I estimated that they weighed 138 lbs each.

Jim Rogers
PS really nice new ramp truck, and the driver backed it all the way in first try.

Magicman

I am happy to see your happiness Jim!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mart

Love to see happy customers. I had one yesterday and today. I cut some 2.5" thick cottonwood sideboards for a guy's dump truck last year. He just had to have them right away. Never came back for them. I put them on Facebook marketplace and a guy scooped up two of them for making workbench tops.

A few days ago cleaning up my log yard I grabbed a birch out of a group of logs that had been around for a couple of years. They were some of those I was going to get to but kept putting it off. After awhile I decided to let them go a while and see if they would spalt. I cut five nice spalted birch, two inch, live edge slabs and a gentleman just left with two of them. He was thrilled to get them. I've got three more logs from the same group. I better get them on the mill.

Keep the pictures coming. I enjoying seeing that happy faces.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

WDH

Jim,

Which section on Facebook marketplace do you post in?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jim_Rogers

miscellaneous  but Bruno uses garage sales

Stephen1

great work Jim and it is great cashflow.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Jim_Rogers

Today's happy customer got away before I could get a snap shot.

I got a bunch of 1x boards for his shed project.

Jim Rogers
Edit:
I went over to his place the next day and got some shots of it in place:

Jim_Rogers

Today's happy customer was a returning customer who wanted a 2" thick piece of red oak to make a table top to go onto a set of singer sewing machine legs. He and his wife picked out a nice one. Thanks Tim:

Jim Rogers

Bruno of NH

I use market place and the local group yard sales
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

I've been planing on doing that too. I think I have 2 stands,one is a white.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Darrel

This may be a bit off topic, but let me tell you about White sewing machines and one machine in particular. The house my family lived in when I was a small child was in California's Motherload and built during the gold rush. The bathroom was huge, and the only things in there were the toilet and this sewing machine and on the wall directly across from the machine hung the tp roll.  This setup was convenient to this little boy because it was fun to run the tp through the sewing machine, just get the paper started and treadle like mad.  The tp only needed occasional guidance. During one of these occasions, the last one as I recall, my right index finger found itself being sewn to a strip of toilet paper. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

LeeB

I suppose that would make for an unhappy customer. Yes somewhat off topic and somewhat related.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

More off topic. ;D
Brenda bought a White treadle sewing machine at an antique store. She had some question about it and called up White about it. They sent her a copied manual for it!! I was shocked and at no cost. Must of been 50 pages. Very good customer service.

Jim_Rogers

Saturday morning on my way to CT I stopped by one of my customer's and saw his stack of quarter sawn white pine, that I showed you before.
I thought he did a good job of stacking it:

Jim Rogers

doc henderson

i know about PSI, what is the PRB... pounds per round bucket?  it does look nice i just hope no kids are playing on, around or under the stack! :-\   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

Never seen a plastic bucket lumber foundation before. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!