iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade Lube for your band mill?

Started by EZland, September 17, 2012, 11:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lud

I used barchain oil and kero for years and set up a drip tank and switched to water and Dawn last spring.  Have to say it's cheaper and saw no ill effects.  Blade life seemed a little longer so was it cooler?

I like the drip better than just the occasional  spritz  I used before.  I'm thinking of building a second system for oil/karo mix for the winter as the water could freeze unless I used some antifreeze or window wash in the water /soap mix, right? ???
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

EZland

I will use WDH exact measurements and patent it and sell for $10 a Gallon.  I will call it "WDP"  Water, Dawn and Pinesol.  Oh, and I will put a environmental freindly sticker on it.  It will sell I know it. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

Magicman

Remember to do a forum "Search" for blade lubricant.  There are many threads and opinions here concerning this subject.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cypressstump

The BEST lube by far as I am told is Snakeoil,,, but I have yet been able to locate any. :D
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Cypressstump on September 18, 2012, 12:38:00 PM
The BEST lube by far as I am told is Snakeoil,,, but I have yet been able to locate any. :D

I sell it and have been for two years.

Please call me and you can order 5 gallons for $29.95.
But.......if you act within the next ten minutes, you will receive 10 gallons for $29.95.....just pay shipping and handling.
Call now.....operators are standing buy.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Last time that I visited the Texas Ranger, he had some snakeoil.  However, it was in a bottle, not in a lube tank.  It tasted quite spritely, it did  :-*.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 18, 2012, 08:48:39 PM
Last time that I visited the Texas Ranger, he had some snakeoil.  However, it was in a bottle, not in a lube tank.  It tasted quite spritely, it did  :-*.

Are you sure he didn't use it in a drip torch?  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Slab Slicer

Quote from: Magicman on September 17, 2012, 02:09:49 PM
A search for blade lube will find many threads on the subject.  Also, you will get many opinions concerning water/soap/diesel/etc.  My advice is to use what your sawmill manufacturer recommends.

Here is a thread showing what I use:  LINK   Filling the 5 gallon jug with water and 10 oz. of Cascade cost about 60 cents.  Automatic dish washer liquid does not foam up when you are filling the jug, plus it has the surfactant necessary to break down the surface barrier and make wet "wetter".

I followed MM's advise, and went with the cascade, and water. Seems to be working fine.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

oklalogdog

Amateurs built the Ark - Professionals built the Titanic

TK 2000, TK 1220, Belsaw M14, John Deere 7610 with loader, Ford 9N.

rmack

I was going to avoid using diesel for lube, but will be sawing in sub zero this winter... no other choice, I guess. Can't help but wonder if the diesel will swell or soften the belts?
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Magicman

I do not believe that WM recommends petroleum based lubes with the B57 belts.  For cold temps, they do recommend full strength -32° Windshield Washer fluid, but I would still add 2 oz. of liquid Cascade per gallon to that.

There is a chart showing the proper mix of WW fluid for the different temperatures.  I only have to use 1 gallon e/w 4 gallons of water to protect me from our lowest freezing temps.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sawdust Lover

Brad_S, After reading some other posts about blade lube I was suprised at how little it takes to lube the blade. I called a friend of mine today who use to saw my lumber using diesel fuel. I asked him how much diesel fuel he uses when sawing and it sounds like about 5 times more then what everyone else uses. I told him to read the forum because he might be able to save some money and slow down his drip. He was only sawing my live edge slabs that were usually to wide to fit in my planer so I was sanding the surface and this is why some of the diesel was left on the wood. I actually put it in my lube tank today cutting heart pine beams at a really slow drip and was shocked at how much better and quiter it cut. Tomorrow I'm going to try it sawing cherry.

rmack

QuoteThere is a chart showing the proper mix of WW fluid for the different temperatures.  I only have to use 1 gallon e/w 4 gallons of water to protect me from our lowest freezing temps.

I thought about using w/w antifreeze, but it's always tinted... won't that stain the wood?
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

thecfarm

I have the belted wheels on my Thomas,meaning my blade runs on a rubber V belt. I've had this mill for 7 years,but I only saw a little with it. But I do feel the diesel does not harm the rubber. probably none even hardly gets on the belt,but no really way to prove it. Just a drip is all that is needed every few seconds,not a steady steam that I see run when I go to a show from using water and soap. The drip is going into the wood first than what ever,if any,is left over is going on the V belt.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hackberry jake

I actually use most of my lube when I'm not in the cut. After I get out of the cut I throttle the engine down to idle but I don't disengage it. This keeps the ban spinning but much slower. I then crack the lube valve open and while I am bringing the carriage back to the next cut the diesel lube cleans the blade off. I then close the lube valve and throttle her back up an begin the next cut. The only time I leave a steady drip is if I have problems with pitch build-up before I get through a single cut. Some woods need little to no lube like sycamore or cedar. White oak, hickory, and pecan all get a steady drip.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

thecfarm

I forgot to mention that I have 2 shut offs on my drip line. One is used to adjust the drip and one is used to turn the line off and on. Since I have an all manual mill it takes me longer to turn a lot and to dog a log in. I turn the line off when I am doing something besides pushing the head. Than I turn it back on.I do keep it on to remove a board though.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!