iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your favorite...

Started by Okrafarmer, February 04, 2012, 09:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

This has probably been asked before, but let's lighten the mood and dream a little bit here.

Let's suppose that all the pressure is off, your mill is working really well, and you have the chance, just for fun, to mill a log. It is a nice straight 24" diameter log of a suitable length, and you can mill it up any which way you like. Of all the species that grow within ten miles of your house, what would be your favorite one to mill? And then, you can put your second and third favorites, too.

Note: If there aren't many trees within ten miles of your house, you can extend it out to 50 miles.

Me:
1. Holly
2. Walnut
3. Ambrosia Red Maple
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

mikeb1079

1.  black cherry
2.  walnut
3.  red cedar
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Okrafarmer

black cherry and red cedar are also in my top 10!  8)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Chuck White

I'd love to saw the following if they were 24".

Black Locust

Yellow Birch

Red Cedar

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Black walnut (The King of wood)
Black Cherry (The Queen of wood)
Maple (Hard or soft)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

1. POPLAR
2. RED CEDAR
3. SYCAMORE
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

red oaks lumber

1) white ash
2) basswood
3) white oak
4) white pine
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Okrafarmer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 04, 2012, 10:13:52 PM
1. POPLAR
2. RED CEDAR
3. SYCAMORE

Do you quartersaw your sycamore, David, or just go right through it? I agree it is a beautiful wood. I know where there is a nice 4' diameter log at our log yard we go to that they haven't been able to sell for a little while.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Chuck White on February 04, 2012, 09:53:52 PM
I'd love to saw the following if they were 24".

Black Locust

Yellow Birch

Red Cedar

I must say I'm surprised somebody likes to mill black locust. It is a very useful wood, though. I have a couple logs I'm not going to use.

caveman

1. Cypress
2  Black Cherry
3. Southern Red Cedar
Caveman

paul case

1 ERC
2 Southern red oak
3 Sycamore
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

1.  SYP has to be first because that is where my $$$ are made.
2.  Black Walnut simply because it is Black Walnut and it makes folks happy.
3.  I probably should list Eastern Red Cedar because I saw so much, but sawing it is only a job to me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

5quarter

24" dbh right? You said I could dream a bit...

1) Apple
2) Peach
3) Honeylocust

Three of my favorite cabinet woods.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Okrafarmer

Quote from: 5quarter on February 04, 2012, 11:45:02 PM
24" dbh right? You said I could dream a bit...

1) Apple
2) Peach
3) Honeylocust

Three of my favorite cabinet woods.

I've never done peach, but I could get some from the orchards near here. Do you have any pictures? Does it resemble cherry at all? They are related.

pyrocasto

1. Apple
2. Blue stain pine.
3. Walnut.

Okrafarmer

Hey, you're just up the road from me.  8)

tyb525

1. Honeylocust
2. Cherry
3. Quilted/birdseye Hard Maple
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Meadows Miller

Australia  ;D
#1 Red Ironbark  #2 Red Gum  #3 Stringy Bark ;):)

America  :) :) ;D ;D 8) 8)
#1 Southern Yellow Pine #2 Any Oak #3 Cypress Pine  ;) ;D ;D 8)

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Okrafarmer

Meadows, I actually helped to saw up some wood in Victoria-- it was mainly sheoke, I think, though maybe some other things too. It was firewood, though, not lumber!  :D :D :D :D :D
Oh, by the way, I can't help enjoying how the Aussies name their trees after the kind of bark it has!  8) 8) 8)

Meadows Miller

Sheoaks a bloody nice timber to saw too it makes good furniture timber  ;) ;D never cut a hell off alot of it though only afew logs here n there but there are a good number of plantations of it planted atm just gotta wait  ;)

Im upto over 150 species off trees now I was keeping a book with how they sawed and how they came out and any adjustments I needed to do to the saw to mill them but that got lost along the way (thrown out)  :) :) :o :( :( :( >:(

Yeah its reasonaby easy to identify trees here  ;) barstard box is one off the hardest woods to saw i have ever come across its an apt name too Mate  ;) :D :D :D :D :D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

mad murdock

Coastal Douglas Fir
Western Red Cedar
Pacific Madrone

I love doug fir! WRC though not near as aerobatic as ERC, it's still a cedar and an awesome wood. Madrone-I just want to mill some cause it is such a curious wood.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Do you quartersaw your sycamore, David, or just go right through it?
[/quote] from Okrafarmer

Yes I do quarter saw sycamore. I usually don't even mess with a Sycamore log unless it is at least 28 inches.
That snake skin look after quarter sawing is INCREDIBLE.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terrifictimbersllc

1) Yellow poplar
2) Hemlock
3) Walnut
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

texbob

Realy haven't sawn that many different kind of trees but I like the ones that are a bit controversial.
1: Sweet Gum
2: Hackberry
3: Eastern Red Cedar

Okrafarmer

I like controversial ones too. I have not yet but would like to try Sassafrass, Butternut, Hackberry, Sourwood, Magnolia, Eucalyptus, River Birch, Beech, and Deodar Cedar. All of which grow around here, or nearby. I have tried holly and Chinese Chestnut, and would like to do more of both, with better logs than I've had so far.

Thank You Sponsors!