iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cleaning shirts

Started by Ed_K, September 15, 2006, 12:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed_K

Rita wants to know what y'all use to clean logging shirts? I cut a lot of pine which is hard to get out, but we're finding that sap from red oak is worse.
So lets hear your recipe for laundry soap.
Ed K

Tom

Red Oak is a terrible stain.  I dont know how you get the stain out besides bleaching.

Pine is sticky resin and we pre-soak in a 5 gal bucket.   Loggers and sawyers will use Pinesol or rubbing alcohol or even break it up a little before the soak with some WD-40. 

My clothes may go in the pri-soak when I take them off and stay there until washday.

tcsmpsi

Oh, Tom, when is washday?   ;D

Mine just pretty much get stained.  Long as they're clean, I don't try too hard on stains.  They all blend in pretty well after a short time.

Lot of pine resin in the hair, now, that takes a bit of work.   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

beenthere

There is red dye in that bucket that Tom soaks his shirts in, and I think that's a fact.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CHARLIE

Well, I don't know about pine tar and Oak sap........I usually get super glue slung across my shirt and watch and the only thing keeping it from my face is the face shield.....which is appropriately covered with straight lines of super glue. You see, I use the glue in my woodturning sometimes and turn the lathe on before it sets. ::) I know of nothing that will remove it either.

Now......this is something you can share with your wives.  To remove coffee stains or red wine stains just spray the stain with 409 cleaner just before putting it into the wash. The 409 takes the stain right out. 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

submarinesailor

Charlie,

I think acetone will loosen/soften it.  Used it several times when I had young men stick themselves together or to each other.  Yes, I said to each other - remember nothing is sailor proof.

Bruce

Mrs. Customsawyer

I too have fought the good war on removing stains. I've pretty much tried all the above suggestions, as well as some other creative ones not mentioned (or worth mentioning), and unfortunately nothing has worked well enough to brag on. My solution, darker colored clothing show the stains less. ;)

Minnesota_boy

Forget about removing the sap stains.  Wear them with pride as it shows you actually work for you money.  8) 8)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Paschale

When I was a kid, anytime we'd be out helping dad work on a car or some other greasy thing, and get our clothes all covered with grease, mom would have everybody soak their clothes in a mixture with something called Lestoil and water.  It seemed to be the only thing that would break down the oil and grease so she could get it out.  I wonder if it would work on sap too?   ???
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Ed_K

I tried a car product called tar & bug cleaner, it didn't do much on the oak stains. Did better on the pine tho, but we had to leave the cloths out on the line in the rain for 5 days before the smell went away enough to let me bring them into the house  :(. That was after I washed them 3 more times and when Rita got home from work she said I ruined her washing machine  :'(.
Thanks for the advice.
Today I got into the pine again, was warmer than last week, I looked like Jeff's soda can at Tom's mill  ;D.
Ed K

old3dogg

Try some Coca Cola. Its good on grease. I have used it to clean some really dirty clothes.
Dump a 12 ounze can or bottle in with your work clothes. Stuff works pretty good.

Woodcarver

We use Goop hand cleanser on pine tar.  Rub it on the "sappy" spots and let it soak overnight before the clothing goes in the washer.  Works fairly well.  Dunno what it might do with oak stain.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Ga_Boy

The worse stain I have found is Black Cherry.  It has ruined my work shirts, nothing takes it out.

But then again I did a poor job of seclecting my work shirts, I choose a light kaki shirt.  When these are replaced I'll go with either a dark Green or dark Blue work shirt. 
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Coon

The pine tar is quite easy to get out of  clothing.  Every household has what you need to do this too.

Simply take a tablespoon full of margarine and glob it on the pine tar.  Using a fingernail scrub brush work the margarine into the tarred area until you can see the tar is lifting.  IMMEDIATELY!! put in clothes washer and wash it as you normally would. If you don't wash it right away you'll be left with a grease stain on the whole area that was in contact with the margarine.  Give it a try.  I did and never again looked for another better way.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

OneWithWood

I agree with MinBoy.  Wear the stains with pride  8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

solodan

Quote from: OneWithWood on September 22, 2006, 09:48:36 AM
I agree with MinBoy. Wear the stains with pride 8)

Yeah, I'm just gonna get more sap on them tommorrow. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!