iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Idea (?) fishermen, wood guys w/pictures. Feedback?

Started by Daren, July 22, 2006, 02:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

The light colored (almost white) is just curly maple. There is some spalted curly maple in there, and some spalted curly elm. My favorite (and I don't have very much) is the stuff that looks blueish, it is curly walnut. The curly walnut is some heart/sap mix, it is pretty. They are just about all different stuff, spalted curly red maple crotch... just stuff I have stashed back knowing one day I would find a way to use even the little pieces and make something nice. I think those dudes look like little jewels.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Snag

The blueish one is the one that really had me wondering.  Never had the opportunity to see curly walnut.  They sure look good.  Nice job.

jon12345

Heres another idea, glue  2 contrasting strips together then you could really have the variety, like a dark back and light belly  ???
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Max sawdust

Quote from: jon12345 on July 26, 2006, 02:43:23 PM
Heres another idea, glue  2 contrasting strips together then you could really have the variety, like a dark back and light belly  ???
I was cutting white birch firewood and thinking about the contrasting colors between the heart wood and sap wood it would be interesting to try and turn it so the top is dark and the bottom is light.  Seems like that could be done with walnut or any other wood with contrasting sap wood ???

max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Daren

Whatcha mean, like this?  ::)

I'm way ahead of ya fellas. I even put the eyes on a the "lateral line", just like a real fish. I said I had thought about it awhile.

Larry

Daren, I think ya should send off your lure pictures to some of the high end juried craft shows and see if you can get in next year.  Might be the start of something and a way to get your foot in the door on other items.

I think your lures are unique, beautiful, and original.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Snag

Are those heart/sap or did you glue together?  I might just hafta break down and get one of them mini lathes...

Daren

No glue ups, I just picked the certain special pieces I was wanting. Snag, are you gonna start make lures too? Between you and Max the market will be flooded and I won't be able to sell mine, I can't believe you guys are doing a brother like that. :D

Snag

I might... but just for my own tackle box.  I have been thinking of getting one to try making some pens, yo-yo's, fishing lures  ;) and other stuff.  Since I have gotten my Peterson I have a ton of spalted/curly "chunks" from tailings I have been stockpiling. I've also been getting my sons into woodworking and a mini lathe might be something we could "tackle" :D  ::).   

Daren

Snag, I tell you what those little lathes are big fun. I think it is the most fun tool in my woodshop. Quiet, smooth I can actually listen to the radio while I am working. My bigger lathes seem violent now that I have been playing with the little one. There ain't nothing fun about an 8lb chunk of wet sweet gum flying off the big lathe and running up your arm on the way to your head. I think everyone needs one of those little ones. Maybe your son could make some of these.

They sell for more than fishing lures to the right people  ;), They are just not my type. I would rather talk to a fisherman than a doll collector, that's just me. Another good thing about the mini lathe when you have an OOPS it's only a mini piece of wood, they burn good and nobody is the wizer  :D

jon12345

So what kind of little lathes would one recommend? Where do ya get ur hardware for the lures, I tried findin it before and couldn't  ???   I love fishin with plugs and other topwaters but can't afford the lures.  can prolly scrape up enough for a lathe tho, that cant get lost on a tree branch  :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Radar67

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Patty

Yep, I bought a Jet mini lathe a while back. It works just fine.  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Daren

I'm with everyone else. I have a JET, bought it at that online auction place E-..., paid $100 new in the box with the tools (the tools are not much to brag about, but I already had a decent set). Mine is the little cheapy pen lathe. They really make some nice ones just a tad bigger too.

Max sawdust

Quote from: Daren on July 26, 2006, 07:06:04 PM
No glue ups, I just picked the certain special pieces I was wanting. Snag, are you gonna start make lures too? Between you and Max the market will be flooded and I won't be able to sell mine, I can't believe you guys are doing a brother like that. :D

No need to worry about me Daren, I am just day dreaming ;D
As you stated earlier, you have put some thought into this.  Which really shows in the quality of your work ;)
You are just giving me something fun to think about while I am chunking up cord after cord of firewood.  Especially when I find a figured chunk;)
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Furby

Lure hardware can be found at Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops or lots of local bait shops.
There are also a ton of mail order places that sell almost everything you can think of for lures.

Thank You Sponsors!