iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

McCulloch 610

Started by Jim_Rogers, July 14, 2013, 12:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

A fellow, who came over with a customer, figured I needed another chain saw.

He gave me a McCulloch 610 with two extra chains. It doesn't have any gas in it and I don't know when it was started last. I was thinking I'd try it but I don't know if it will even run with todays gasoline.

What do you think? Will it even run with today's gas? The reason why I ask is that I think it's an older saw.

I usually mix one of those small bottle of oil with 2 1/2 gallons of gas for my Husky and that is either 40 or 50 to 1. I can't remember or find a bottle to check. I may have used my last bottle up at the last fill up of my chain saw gas jug.

Does anyone have one of these that could give me some advice?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

Put your mix in and give it a go. No good reason it shouldn't run on the gas mix you have.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

martyinmi

Nice score Jim!

I have my dads old 610 and it is a dandy old saw. It doesn't seem to mind today's gas at all, although I normally run 110 octane in all my saws (I get it free at work).

Myself and uncle Al will both recommend 40:1, but a good share of folks have good luck with ratios of 50:1 or higher. I'm not picky as to what oil I run, whether full synthetic, blended, or pure dinosaur, it all seems to perform the same. I do always buy brand name though.

You'll like the torque of that old saw. In 15" and larger wood mine will easily keep up with my muffler modded MS 310 Stihl. The 310 is a bit faster in smaller stuff though.

AND... they are fairly loud, so wear your earplugs!!!
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Al_Smith

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on July 14, 2013, 12:10:29 PM
  Does anyone have one of these that could give me some advice?

Jim Rogers
I've got two in the shed plus a nearly new looking one I bought for my son .

Probabley one of the most under rated saws ever built but one of the most bullit proof .They will cut on a par with most saws made today in the 60 cc class .Not the fastest but at the end of a days cutting it will hang in there .The bad part they are heavy .

Problems: if the impulse actuated oil pump gets a leaky diaphragm it will allow bar oil into the crankcase which will clog the muffler screen and eventually carbon up the exhaust port .Which will chew away at the piston .The good news on that is replacement pumps are relatively inexpensive .

Those saws were sold by the zillions and it was made to run on 40 to 1 mix ratio.TheAmsoil crowd will say 100 to 1 and old fuddy duddys like me say 32 to 1 .Run it however you see fit . ;)

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for all your advice.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

AdkStihl

Brother-inlaw came to me on Saturday with a barn find ProMac 610. Covered in all kinds of barn residue :)
Some purple power degreaser and a quik blast with a hose and she was lookin purdy. A little fresh mix in the tank and a little more down her throat and she fired on the 5th pull. Runs good, sounds good.......bit heavy for the output, but I bet its a reliable SOB
J.Miller Photography

Thank You Sponsors!