iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cabin surveillance

Started by revid, January 16, 2019, 08:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revid

Looking for ideas for a surveillance camera system for my cabin while building. No ac power would use batteries and there's cell signal there. Would like to be notified or able to look at cabin when I want via smart phone. Is this possible ?

Old Greenhorn

Check into trail cams hat are available. I bet you find something that suits your needs. I have one, but low tech. I just swap the card when I go by it every few days and check it out on the home pc. I went cheap, but I know there are some pretty nifty ones out there.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV_hillbilly

a friend of mine uses Spartan game cameras to watch his hunting cabin   . 
Hillbilly

Busysawyer

The great thing about surveillance cameras is you get to be royally peed off twice. Once when you find out your stuff was vandalized or stolen and then again when you watch the video of your stuff being stolen. I myself have been burglarized and friends businesses.  We all got great footage of the crime but zero arrests or recovery of stolen property.  My old welding shop had a 5k security system installed. 8 cameras, motion sensors, door sensors and glass break sensors. It was setup to live feed to my, my dads phone and a friend that lived close to the shop. They were in and out of my place in under 2 min. By the time I realized what was going on and laced up my boots they were gone. Cameras and alarms wont stop smart criminals. It might deter a few junkies but the smash and grab crews will be long gone , leaving you a nice worthless video to watch and show the friends and family. I guess it might help with the insurance claim as well.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

John Mc

I had a friend who had problems with folks stealing/vandalizing his cabin/shed. He put up a good quality game camera. Apparently, it wasn't hidden well enough, because they found and stole that as well. He finally caught them on camera when he put up a cheap game camera to watch the shed and mounted it rather securely, then hid another, better camera aimed at the first camera. He got some nice clear photos of them working to remove the first camera. Turned in to law enforcement, and they were busted. Still had the second stolen camera and some other stuff at their place. They claimed they had purchased it. The owner suggested to the cop that he open it up: the fact that his name was on the inside of the battery door did not help their case (not to mention that the memory card was full of pictures of the owner's cabin).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Sixacresand

I have a WYZE camera on my porch.  When activated, it sends me an email notification.  I doubt It would be of any use to identify a thief, but I know instantly when I have visitor. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

GAB

Quote from: Sixacresand on January 18, 2019, 10:02:18 AM
I have a WYZE camera on my porch.  When activated, it sends me an email notification.  I doubt It would be of any use to identify a thief, but I know instantly when I have visitor.
Now is there a way where you could talk to the intruder(s) when you are notified somehow?
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!