iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on September 05, 2017, 08:42:57 AM
Cold and rainy overnight. 46° with another .5" of precip and its still raining, 40mph wind gusts right off the lake. Its a wood stove and heavy jacket kind of day.  :-\

Being a farmer and a logger my life is scheduled by mother nature for the most part so I keep a farm "journal" where I keep track of everything going on around the farm as well as daily high/low temps and precip.

Looking in the book this morning in the last 31 days we have not had longer than 3 consecutive days without rain, our high temp was 82° our low temp was 35°, our lowest High temp for a day was 46°, our average high temp for the period is 58° and the low is 42°. There was also 19.25" of precip over that period. Those numbers jive more with late September/October than August.

20 inches (almost) of rain in a month is pretty darn high, must be near a record for you I'd guess.  Well stay dry hope you dry out this fall.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Not nice I guess but ...we have had just about the best summer I can remember.  Only a 2 week hot period with 90's every day.  Rain mostly when we needed it, corn is high and looking great, trees are lush and hickory and walnut already showing some yellow on leaves, not sure what that means, seems early even for walnut. 

Liking Walnut

SwampDonkey

It was 63 this morning and we never got the hot sun, so the high was 73 with a south wind. No rain here yet, but calling for afternoon thunderstorm.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

We have been gone all day,but we hit rain many miles from home. I hope it was raining here all that time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Chevy,

Tough going.  The sunny South is hot (90° to 100° daily in summer) and sucks the sweat out of your body humid, but many times bone dry rain-wise for weeks even months, not sure what is better, yours or ours.  That said, the winters here are delightful in most respects.  Your winters can be very challenging, vexing, and galciated frozen solid.  Frozen solid.  Frozen solid.  Galciated.  We don't have glaciers a mile thick.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

grouch

Not glaciated here, but mid-60s F feels like winter. Makes me want to be sawing. I know summer is going to make another appearance, though. We'll do a few days of winter and then it will switch in the middle of the day to the middle of the summer. Makes planning an adventure.
Find something to do that interests you.

chevytaHOE5674

After rain pretty much all day yesterday, today started out sunny and I was pleasantly surprised. By the time I got morning chores done the drizzle and rain rolled in and that's been the story of the rest of the day. High of 55°.

Spent the day in the shop working on things then put the duals on the tractor because I have to start feeding hay and its so wet the tractor sinks down quick, hopefully the duals will help a little.

nativewolf

Quote from: WDH on September 06, 2017, 04:46:34 PM
Chevy,

Tough going.  The sunny South is hot (90° to 100° daily in summer) and sucks the sweat out of your body humid, but many times bone dry rain-wise for weeks even months, not sure what is better, yours or ours.  That said, the winters here are delightful in most respects.  Your winters can be very challenging, vexing, and galciated frozen solid.  Frozen solid.  Frozen solid.  Galciated.  We don't have glaciers a mile thick.

And polar bears, we don't have your polar bears roaming around looking for walrus.  Actually in VA in the winter we  have...mud.  Mud a mile deep.
Liking Walnut

Novaplanter

About 32c (95f) today in Nova Scotia with the humidex. Probably the last really hot day of the year, got about three tanks done,  thinning some crazy thick spruce, and had enough, had to go home and drink some beer in the backyard.

thecfarm

WDH,The glaciation is only about 4 feet deep. Deep enough to keep the alligators and crocs in check. Helps out on the bad snakes too. The fly population is on the down side when the glaciers are forming too. Even helps out on the people population too. Now if I could convince about 500,000 more people about that fact too.

A good day for ducks. We need the rain. Would rain and stop and rain and stop all day.We had a hard thunder shower in the night. Even the rain woke me up. I could see where the water went through the culvert.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Darrel

86° F and cloudy.  Feels muggy as all get out so I checked the humidity to see what it was, double what it was yesterday. It's 30% today!   :D  I know, I know I have no idea what muggy is and I hope to keep it that way.  :D ;D :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

chevytaHOE5674

RH of 30%....? Only time we see that is the winter. haha

Our RH was 100% (rain) for a while today then dropped all the way to 80% for a bit when the sun came out now its back up to 90%. Even though its only 52° you sweat up a storm doing any kind of physical work.

thecfarm

I think it rained through the night here. Was still raining at 6 this morning. Has stopped,but all clouds.

Darrel

Rained about 1/2" in the night. Don't think it rained on any of the fires though. However, it is nice to be dust free.
1992 LT40HD

joeziz

Quote from: Darrel on September 06, 2017, 08:28:34 PM
86° F and cloudy.  Feels muggy as all get out so I checked the humidity to see what it was, double what it was yesterday. It's 30% today!   :D  I know, I know I have no idea what muggy is and I hope to keep it that way.  :D ;D :D

Yeah high humidity is the real killer

caveman

It will continue to be hot here.  Also, I expect the winds may increase over the next few days :'( accompanied with some rain-not really great camping weather but I suspect a lot of folks will be camping by this time next week.
Caveman

grouch

Hunker down, caveman. I don't want to see you flying by my house without some kind of aircraft.

caveman

The next time I come to Kentucky, I hope I am in a tree stand.
Caveman

Darrel

Quote from: caveman on September 07, 2017, 07:50:05 PM
The next time I come to Kentucky, I hope I am in a tree stand.

If you fly by the grouches house without an aircraft, your wish may just come true.  :D :D :D
1992 LT40HD

thecfarm

Yesterday was a dry day. The sun did come out some in the afternoon. Today bright blue sky and 58°.

chevytaHOE5674

Frosty this morning. Supposed to warm up to the low 50's for the day though.

Bandmill Bandit

Our weather forecast is smoke, smoke and more smoke. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Darrel

It rained a bit, the wind went the other way and so did all the smoke.  Now it's the kind of weather that makes me want to pick apples. Still a bit too early though.
1992 LT40HD

grouch

It finally dawned on me (I'm a little slow) what makes this thread so interesting compared to the raw numbers you can find all over the tv and Internet. You get to read about the effects and consequences of those numbers -- changed plans, altered work, altered moods, glaciated ducks and flying cavemen -- at local, personal levels.

Meanwhile, we're having gorgeous weather and I'm stuck up to my elbows working between two halves of a tractor in an overstuffed garage. But at least we ain't got smoked apples and frost.

Deese

Man I couldn't dream of better weather than we've been having for the past several days.
Clear blue sky, 84° with only 34% humidity.  8)
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Thank You Sponsors!