iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln cart and shipping container kiln.

Started by Mike_M, June 26, 2007, 07:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_M

Greetings,
                  This has been a great site. I don't post very often, but I sure do absorb a lot of great information. I just finished cutting and kiln drying my very first load of alder 4/4 in the kiln. It turned out great and was very staight forward. I put it in the kiln right off the saw and got it to 8% without any problems. The kiln is a nyle L200 in an old refer shipping container. I hand loaded 1,000 bdft. and found out why having a kiln cart should be a top priority. My question is how do you build the kiln cart track system and still be able to shut the doors? I know this is a very simple question, but my simple mind just can't picture how to make this work. :-[ Thanks for any help.           Mike M.

BBTom

Mike,

You might get some ideas from my WEB SITEon how to build the kiln cart and track.  I made a section of the track removable.  When I am ready to shut the door, I just pick up that short section and set it aside.  My track is 1 x 1 angle iron that is laid open side down.  I use strap iron between the two pieces of angle iron to hold them together for easy removal and replacement.  There is a short piece of 1/2" rod welded into the angle iron ends of the permanent sections of track that allows the removeable section to "self-align". 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Mike_M

Thanks Tom,
               Great pictures. You have a very nice set-up. Again you will have to excuse my ignorance, but what is strap iron?

Furby

Thank You Sponsors!