iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Video of WM manual toe board and turner??

Started by Brad_bb, February 08, 2017, 07:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I'm having trouble finding much online besides some vague pics of the manual toeboards and manual log turner that is apparently available on the LT28 manual and maybe LT40 manual mill?  I would prefer to see one in person, but no telling if WM in Indy will have one on display (unlikely).   The manual log turner somehow uses a manual winch but I'd like to see how this works.  The manual toe boards apparently don't look like the conventional roller type and use a crank from the operator side. 

Does anyone have any video of either of these or know where there is video?  WM's LT28 video doesn't really show how they are used.  Thanks.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

47sawdust

Brad bb,
I can't help with the video but if you want a set of manual toeboards you can have mine for the shipping cost.They were removed from my LT30 last fall  when I installed hydraulic toe rollers.I found it easier to lift the log and put a shim under it than to use the toeboards.As for the log turner,I removed the hand winch and installed a 3700# Warn winch.It works great.
In all honesty the manual toeboards are slow and do not work well on small logs.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

trapper

I have a lt 30 with manual toe boards. Manual winch log turner and log loading ramps. If you want to take a road trip you can play with them.  200 mi
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Brad_bb

That's why I want to see how these things work.  It does not bode well that you guys are not enthusiastic about them and looking to dump them.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

fishfighter

Quote from: Brad_bb on February 09, 2017, 01:37:16 AM
That's why I want to see how these things work.  It does not bode well that you guys are not enthusiastic about them and looking to dump them.

I was looking to add them to my mill, but as you said not enthusiastic has got me wondering too. More so on the toe boards. :o

47sawdust

Glad you see my lack of enthusiasm for the manual toeboards.On the other hand adding the hyd. toe rollers has been a major help to me.Repositioning a log,adjusting for taper,and rolling cants off the mill are easily done.All the parts for mine came from WM.It is somewhat involved,source of power,hyd. powerpack etc.
I don't know how you would do it on the Lt15.Forum member Elk42 has a pretty tricked out Lt15.You might check his gallery.
Best of luck,it's good to have a puzzle to figure out.You do a lot of nice work with that Lt15,no reason not to modify it to make it even more user friendly.

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Bill Gaiche

You can build your own toe board. They aren't that complicated. Mine operates off of a boat type winch and has been an asset versus a shim method. This is the only photo I have. I can take more if you are interested.
bg

azmtnman

Wood Mizer used to have a video on their website. I can't find it there or on YouTube now. They call it the "log deck package."
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Jemclimber

I'm interested Bill, and curious about what the springs are for as well?
lt15

Bill Gaiche

its late here now. I will get some tomorrow. bg

scully

Tow boards / rollers on a 15 don't seem that hard .  Just call your back yard welder friend . Prety simple to ad if your mill is set up right .
I bleed orange  .

carykong

Brad, I have the manual log deck package on my lt27. Works great. Speed is not the purpose of this set up yet it does allow a solo operator to manage the large diameters and long tapers
I will post a video tomorrow

fishfighter

Quote from: Jemclimber on February 09, 2017, 02:18:11 PM
I'm interested Bill, and curious about what the springs are for as well?

I'm sure the spring pulls down the toe board when letting off the winch. Kind of what I was planning on building.

D6c

I've been looking into adding a log turner to an older LT40 and have run into the same problem of finding detailed info.
I did get Woodmizer to send an installation sheet on the log deck package.  (I'll attach it if I can get it to work)

I found this video of a manual turner modified with a 12v winch, which looks like it works pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNHVKl11SIU
The guy I talked with at woodmizer told me that the manual cable winch used on the turner is Very slow and didn't know if I'd be happy with it.

I recently visited a local Lt28 hydraulic owner and looked over his machine to see how it was put together.  It has a similar style turner as the log deck package...just with hydraulics.  From what woodmizer tells me the hyd. unit won't fit my old Lt40 but from what I see I think it could be modified to work....the hyd. turner wasn't much more $ than the manual unit (not incl. cylinder, hoses, valves, etc)

What I would like to do is:
* modify and add a hyd. turner
* build a hyd log loader
* add on or build hyd side stops (the vertical style if possible....if not, the swinging arm style)
* build a hyd log clamp
* and maybe build hyd toe boards.

For my use I think I'd look for a stand-alone electric driven hyd power unit and six valves

This would be getting into quite a bit of work, and it's questionable if it's worth doing....or just trade mills.

Chuck White

The mods listed would require quite a few $$$$$$$$, might be a better option to trade up if you could swing it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

When my toe boards will not reach the log's end, it is a simple matter to lift it with a cant hook and slip a short board underneath.  I did it a few times this week.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

carykong

D6c

Quote from: Chuck White on February 10, 2017, 11:26:29 AM
The mods listed would require quite a few $$$$$$$$, might be a better option to trade up if you could swing it!

Likely end up with a compromise for just that reason....maybe purchase the log turner, and side stop parts and modify them to fit.  I can build a log lift from scratch without too much trouble and maybe find used/surplus hyd. parts.

Treehack

If you use a scissor jack from an old car as a toeboard, you must be a redneck.

I'm sure Matt and the boys at Timber King could do me better, but this is my budget right now.  :D
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

Darrel

Hey treehack, it works and if it's in your budget, that's just icing on the cake!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Brucer

Quote from: D6c on February 10, 2017, 09:49:34 AM
The guy I talked with at woodmizer told me that the manual cable winch used on the turner is Very slow and didn't know if I'd be happy with it.

My 2005 manual LT40 had a two speed winch. It used a two stage gearing system and you could snap the handle onto either one of the two shafts. One guy I talked to at WM when I bought the mill didn't realize there were two speeds.

The turning was a little slow -- on really small logs I'd just use a cant hook.

My biggest gripe with the manual mill was having to always walk around to the "far side" of the mill to operate the clamp.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

trapper

I cut 2 slots in a socket to fit on the winch where the handle fits and use a half inch electric drill to turn it.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!