iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peterson basic ATS setup

Started by alsayyed, March 20, 2006, 02:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Finally I have made my mind to purchase ches the ATS machine from Peterson. I have received the catalog I went through the CD that supplied with the catalog. I selected the following:
1.   ATS 8" cut 20hp Honda
2.   clipon slabber kit includes bar RA chain brkts spigot etc.
My question dose anybody have this setup, or it there anything needed to be added to the option. I have started with basic setup.

Ianab

Hi Alsayyed

You might want to consider getting a blade retiping jig. I dont imagine there are many saw doctors locally that will be able to repair blades for you. At least if you have the jig and some spare tips you, or a local with a gas torch, will be able to repair your blades. Blade tips are the first thing you are going to break if you hit a nail or rock inside a log.

Have a look at this thread for more info Peterson retipping jig

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

alsayyed

thank as always Ian, never thought about that.

Tom

Alsayyed,

I was of the understanding that your logs were small in diameter.

Do you also have large diameter logs?

Jeff Meyer

A couple things you might want to add to your order.  I would order a couple extra blades.   Yes they are not cheap but running out of blades while milling ruins your day.  Are you ordering a large frame or small frame?  Not sure where you are from but I would order 8 or so extra blade bolts they are not easy to find that exact size. I would think that would be enough to get you started.       

Part_Timer

I have the 8" with the 25hp Kohler and like it a lot. (no slabber) yet!!!

GOI has a 10" with a 13hp and does just fine as well. (no slabber)

I'm not sure how the lower hp would work with the slabber.  Troy has one and might be able to shed some light on it for you.

get a couple of extra blades as well as tips.  Retipping is one thing retensioning is another.

Best of luck

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Captain

Slabbers don't need much HP to keep the chain cutting, the bites are microscopic in comparison with a saw blade.  13HP engines run a clip on slabber just fine. 

Captain

getoverit

My 13hp Honda on the 10" mill does just fine, but I'm one of them guys that just likes bigger-more powerful things  ;D

I have seen the time already when I would have liked to cut a nice slab out of the heart of a log, and sooner or later I hope to have one of the clip on slabbers. If youre going to add something to your list, you definitely want the extra blades, retipping jig, extra teeth, and a slabber.

I have saw docs within shipping distance (almost driving distance) and just cant warrant the expense of the retipping jig right now or I would have already ordered one. I would have to retip about 7 blades to just break even on it right now, and I just cant justify that expense. For someone in Quatar its definitely something you would want to have on hand at any expense!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Thank You Sponsors!