iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Customer's projects pictures thread

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 11, 2014, 10:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longtime lurker

Annnnnnndddddddddddddddd another piece of Northern Silky bobs up in my inbox... this piece sent to a friend in Pa and being played with by Warmoth to his specifications.

Two in one evening, you ever get that feeling you're being sent a message???
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

tule peak timber

Beautiful pieces.....Silky Oak and me don't mix well as I have a severe allergy to the dust. What I had left in stock I gave away, beautiful but a trip to the doctors office when I saw it.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

longtime lurker

Quote from: tule peak timber on March 12, 2020, 09:16:18 AM
Beautiful pieces.....Silky Oak and me don't mix well as I have a severe allergy to the dust. What I had left in stock I gave away, beautiful but a trip to the doctors office when I saw it.
Yeah that would be Southern Silky Grevillia robusta. I saw it occasionally, its a dryland species but some wanders in here sometimes on a contract sawing job: gives me watery eyes and a runny nose. And a bit too brittle to be really workable as a cabinet species IMHO.
Northern Silky is a different thing altogether.... big rainforest tree. I get a bit of contact dermatitis when sawing it but once the sap is dry it's fine. 
Got some planted in your Ironbarks huh?  (Actually heres a real good question for you Rob: anyone actually stick a bandmill in that Ironbark, and do they do any good or spend all their time sawing waves? I'm a bit curious about that lately.... time for a toy upgrade again)
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

tule peak timber

On the iron bark, only a little bit has passed through here as millwork. In Southern California there are dozens of species of eucalyptus and I've stopped milling any of them in favor of other wood that sells better. The market for walnuts, cedar, and redwood is almost limitless and where the hour meter needs to spin....
  On the dermatitis from silky I needed steroid shots , it was so bad- I looked like a Leper....
  I still use a little iron bark now and then for entry door thresholds and decorative square plugs on furniture and that's it...... ;D 

Magicman

A customer just sent me these pictures of a "cabinet" that he had built from some Red Oak that I QS for him.

The top.  Ask me if I hit the mark with that QS.  ;D

Front view.

And of course a quartering view.  I have no idea exactly what it is.  The lower front center panel appears to be suspended by track rollers and travels to the left.  Also there are no pulls on what appears to be drawers on the front and the center opening is for.....?

Whatever the purpose is, I thought that he did a superb job with his craftsmanship.  This piece is presently in the back of a pickup and traveling toward Jacksonville, FL.  move_it

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

That looks like a good "timeout" hut.  Just need a latch with a lock! ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Rodman

Beautiful wood & work by all. MM looks like a custom island with a dog kennel under it. Wife showed me one with same idea off of Pinterest. Just add the handles for the drawers & sliding door & it's done. 

Tin Horse

Great work! Did they happen to mention the stain used on that project? Currently 1/4 sawing RO. Can't wait to see those kind of results.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

Magicman

I don't know about the stain/finish, but the dark color says walnut or maybe something even darker that was applied and wiped off.  It also appears that the top and side were treated differently.  ??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tin Horse

Quote from: Magicman on March 12, 2020, 01:24:14 PM
I don't know about the stain/finish, but the dark color says walnut or maybe something even darker that was applied and wiped off.  It also appears that the top and side were treated differently.  ??
Ok. Thanks MM. I'll test a few shades. Something about that shade/ finish is what I love.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

WDH

I just had a customer come and buy wood for one of those kennels.  Unlike your customer's kennel, the one I supplied the wood for ( blue stained yellow poplar) will have solid wood halfway up from the bottom with the bars from the middle of the sides to the top.  It is a dog jail ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Nebraska

That looks like a good replacement for a 1980 island in this clinic! Excellent doggie jail.

caveman

JMoore took some live oak and glued up a top that another friend of ours built a base for that fits over a dog crate.  This one will be auctioned off at one of our neighboring school's FFA event this Saturday night.  One of these days a freebie material/job may pay off.  If not, we did a little good for the neighborhood.

Caveman

btulloh

HM126

doc henderson

now the dog crate looks like a piece of furniture!  nice donation!!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tule peak timber

Today we started milling material for the reclaimed wood wall as part of the architectural millwork package in the New Natural Resources Headquarters building in Sacramento, CA. Below is a link to the YouTube showing this project.

I have been behind the scenes on this job for one year, 3-1/2 mos. and today we finally physically began work. Hard won, long fought.

New Natural Resources Headquarters Building Project 2021 - YouTube

doc henderson

very cool and thanks for the video.  if a picture is worth a thousand words.  ...
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

tule peak timber

This is the "Brown Project" link. The name of this job is actually Rise Hollywood and ironically we just got re-engaged on another contract for additional millwork in this building about a week ago.  The "brown" refers to the horrific gyrations required to create the tones of brown for the interior millwork project. Beetle kill pine with voodoo #9 mix. LOL
The link below is the architectural rendering of the apartment building project set to open soon.

The Rise Hollywood in Los Angeles, CA | Prices, Plans, Availability

doc henderson

Tule I know you are very busy, but we all miss you when you are gone!  (off line)

thecfarm

Probably will takes a while, a year? But would like to see that same video in real time.  :o  Bring the forest to the city.  Looks like some wide "boards" will be used too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Rogers

A while ago, I posted a picture of me cutting a hand hewed beam down the middle so the customer could use it in his house remodel project:

Late yesterday, he sent me some pictures of his completed project:

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

longtime lurker

I am kinda fortunate to have in my customer list (and as friends) two of the best woodturners around. And I say fortunate because (1) they're both great blokes and (2) they give me good press with others with the same interests and (3) that keeps the "not really commercial lumber but too good to throw out" pile thinned out. It's handy knowing blokes who will take wood in sizes down to inch by inch.

Nice hollow form about 11" across done in some of my Queensland Maple/ Northern Silver Ash / Black Bean

Pens done in (predominantly) Northern Silver Ash. I've got a bit of a rep for being able to keep it free of mould which helps move things along nicely because as we all know keeping whites bone white and not salt and pepper takes some doing. And y'all will note the nice banding done in Black Bean and Silver Ash in the background. Both of these guys do their own inlay work - by hand, the old fashioned way.

Would take more patience than I ever have to do either of the above, and the intarsia work they do is a whole lot of patience above and beyond again.

And... I dunno... I find this kind of stuff more satisfying than yet another truckload of 6 x 2's. One is wood as art, the other wood as commodity: good for the soul as opposed to good for the wallet perhaps. But looking at fine woodwork makes me happy in ways that seeing just another house does not.

longtime lurker

Slab bench/desk in Queensland Maple. Yeahhhhhhhhh, shame with some bits of wood, you then pile stuff on them and cant see it no more.

Of all the species I cut QMP is probably my favourite and this is why.... if you sell it to someone who's prepared to put in the work to finish it well it is always a joy to behold. Which is why its regarded as one of the worlds great cabinet timbers I guess.

And I think I'm learning to love epoxy infill - 10 years ago I'd have ripped that back into a couple clear boards either side of the heart shake when sawing because we only sold clear wood.   And I still get people walk in here and ask me why I dont throw out the slabs with holes in them :D

I don't know what finished was used. I do know that when you can see detail like that frosting in the casement windows reflecting in the surface: you've done a whole lot of work. I don't have enough words for just how impressed I am with the standard of this lady's work. I think I want to give her a job

Thank You Sponsors!