Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: Motorcycles

Started by Ron Wenrich, May 07, 2007, 06:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgtmaconga

2006 yamaha V-Star Silverado for now. it's for sell if anyone around my area wants it.
Measure twice cut once

Carries-Mom

Just read in the local paper about an accident that happened only about a mile or two from the house.  Last Friday night, I was going to get pizza and saw an accident, but wasn't sure what happened.  The only thing I saw was a girls pink bicycle.  Come to find out in the paper, a man, on his motorcycle was headed west, had the right of way.  Two kids decided to cross the busy road, and did not see the guy on the motorcycle.  The guy on the motorcycle saw the kids and had to lay the bike down and hit his head on the pavement.  The motorcycle slid into one of the teens.  The kid had a few scratches and bruises.  The guy on the motorcycle is listed in fair condition.  It happened right at dusk and the kids crossed without waiting for the pedestrian sign to change to let them go.   ::)  That kind of thing happens all of the time.  I wish the kids around here would pay attention.  that could have easily been a semi coming at them.  Kids around here do that all of the time.  They think they can beat the oncoming cars.

Robert R

I've never been on a motorcycle.  Rode a four-wheeler once for about 5 minutes and that was all I cared to.  When I crash, my ride comes back and waits for me!

chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

thurlow

Hey Bobby R.................you riding English or Western or some combination?   ;D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Woodcarver

Never owned a bike.  Used to ride occasionally as a passenger.  Years ago I talked about buying one to commute to work during the warm months.

The subject came up over coffee at work one day.  One the fellows I was having coffee with told me there were two kinds of bike riders: those who had had an accident and those who were going to.  A week or two later on the way home from work I happened on to the scene of a fatal accident.  A cyclist had laid his bike down and slid into a tree.  The road was perfectly straight where the accident occurred.  A motorist who happened to be following the bike rider said he was avoiding a deer when the accident happened.

I had no interest in buying a bike after that. 

Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Robert R

You have a very good eye, sir.  That is a western Big Horn saddle but an english D-ring snaffle, he isn't dependable on the neck reining yet.  I ride him english bridle and leg wise. the posture is also english.  I have an english saddle but I am to fat and it hurts his back and I prefer to not look like a sissy.  We are training for endurance racing and ultimately will wind up in something akin to an Australian saddle or a dressage saddle.  Still trying to see what fits him best but most likely a hornless western-style Australian.  Basically, a saddle big enough to distribute the weight without being to hot and horse friendly enough to allow me to stay up off his back.  That picture is at the end of a ride and I am kind of just sitting there like a sack of taters.  I should have my heels lower and be up in the stirrups.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Max sawdust

Never owned one.  Dirt bikes can be lots of fun.  Motorcycles are good for fuel economy, then again so is Robert's horse  :D

See I got a problem, with the bikes with excessively loud tailpipes.  If I drove around in my truck with tailpipes as loud as some of those Harley's I would have the heat on me writtin me a ticket >:(

I live in about 1/2 mile from pavement, so I do not hear log trucks or gravel trucks or any sound from vehicles, EXEPT for some DanG wacko with a really loud bike that likes to leave the bar 3 miles away at 2:00AM.  This wakes me up from a sound sleep >:( >:( :-X  You can hear that bike for miles :o

I got a problem with that  ;)
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Ron Wenrich

I live about 1/3 mile from the pavement and can hear the jake brakes from the big trucks, and when they pull out from a stop.  I can hear the motorcycles when they're just cruising.  What is the most fascinating is that I can hear the bass of some of the kids' car stereos...and they're windows are rolled up.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Max sawdust

That low frequency Bass is something else  ;)  The volume does not even need to be high for that sound to carry through windows and walls and a long distance.

Guess that is why the Navy used to use it to communicate with Subs around the world.  Northern WI has something called an ULF antenna in the national forest.  Transmits Ultra Low Frequency signals right through the planet to Subs on the other side :o

Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Raider Bill

Loud pipes save lives! Nobody see's us so maybe they will hear us.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sawguy21

Car drivers generally don't hear those loud pipes until the rider cranks the throttle after he has gone by. I hate sitting beside one of those DanG straight pipe Milwau Harleys at a light. I guess disapproval is better than no attention at all
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Maxsawdust
:) The ULF was an ELF in Wisconsin. For Extremely Low Frequency. Caused a lot of controversy from the people who just wanted something to get excited about, and for a cause to protest something.

Here is  the Low Frequency site in Wisconsin

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bushhog

Been ridin' since I was 5 started with a mini bike, then 100cc Hodaka, 250 Triumph, 350 Kawasaki, 93 Fatboy, 95 Roadking, 620EXC KTM, 660 Grizzly (currently), and also ride a 2003 Roadking.

I love to ride any and all - bikes that is  ;D

Have had plenty of learning experiences and close calls, hit dogs, road rash (gravel & pavement), used to thread the needle between cars and occasionally two semi's, but now ride alot more defensively and sensibly  ;)

Gotta watch out for the deer and everything else when out ridin'.  People either don't see you or don't understand that a motorcycle handles alot differently than a car.  It is nice also to be able to choose when you want to ride too.

I am a lucky man as my Dad (68) still rides too and he and I try to take a week long trip on the bikes every year. 

I figure when it's my time to go - then it's my time to go - I'd rather go out doing something I really like doing if that's what the Good Lord has in mind

Ride On!

tcsmpsi

I like bass.

I have found it works well catching them with lures using treble hooks.

smiley_bouncing_pinky
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Frank_B

Started in 1968 with a Honda 175; decided trail riding was fun in '73 on a Kawasaki 100; graduated to a Honda 350 to take the wife along; bought another  Kawasaki 100 to ride to work sometime in the '80's; Had a long dry spell, then just two years ago got a '79 Yamaha XS650 that needed a whole lot of work; And finally, after getting the XS 650 running, decided we were too old to be vibrated if not in bed so bought a 2007 V-Star 1300 Tourer - rides as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Yes to all the above about driving foolishly as a youngster and then finally realizing there is death after life somewhere around 40.  Bikes are more dangerous than cars simply because you don't have the iron cage surrounding the victims.  When riding a bike, you generally arrive quicker at the scene of the accident.

This past weekend drove about 600 miles in a car - bad weather - and made note of the number of times folks turned left in front of us.  Car, truck, bike - it doesn't matter - there are folks on the road that just don't pay attention.  Sad fact of the matter, as stated above, you're more inclined to injury when on a bike.  Period.

Oh, BTW...  If anyone would like a really sweet XS650 let me know.  One bike at a time is enough.

Frank

leweee

Quote from: Raider Bill on May 11, 2007, 08:06:23 AM
Loud pipes save lives!
:D  :D  :D If so there are a lot of immortals at Bike Week in Daytona.  :D  :D  :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

BW_Williams

Here's my current ride, 2005 KTM MXC 525, aka "Katy",  I've had dirt  bikes all my life :)

Ride hard, BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Raider Bill

Quote from: leweee on May 11, 2007, 05:19:21 PM
Quote from: Raider Bill on May 11, 2007, 08:06:23 AM
Loud pipes save lives!
:D  :D  :D If so there are a lot of immortals at Bike Week in Daytona.  :D  :D  :D

We live on!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

derhntr

Been a dirtbiker all my life ride KTM's and Suzuki's. I had a Yamaha 850 shaftdrive once that thing was scary fast 90mph in 2nd gear. Cars just scared me so I sold her.

Ride safe
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Stump Jumper

i would like to build a vw trike as my father did, someday.thats me at 14 helping dad, was better than homework  8)

here it is finished and i have my drivers license dad would let me drive it 10 to 15 miles max but it was fun. 8) pics are not the best sorry
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

IndyIan

I've only owned dirtbikes and have played around on a street bike a couple times.  I do agree with Tom, no one should start on a street bike on the street, its better to make mistakes a 20 mph that 60....  I started with a 81 honda CT110, never really had a bad crash on it but climbed a tree once...
A buddy and I were 17 when we got fooling around with his uncles old bike, a late 70's honda 750 super sport, one with 4cyl and 4 big carbs...  It boggled my mind how a bike that was so heavy could accelerate so fast! 3rd gear was all I needed to see, 90 mph or something silly. 
I do like to push the limits when I'm riding so I've decided never to get a street bike, all it takes is coming into a corner quick and a patch of sand...
I can see how a nice cruiser would be fun too though, for nice rides through the countryside

sawguy21

Quote from: IndyIan on May 15, 2007, 10:36:50 PM

I do like to push the limits when I'm riding so I've decided never to get a street bike, all it takes is coming into a corner quick and a patch of sand...

That is exactly how I bruised myself on the Suzi 750. ::)

Carries-Mom

Here's a picture of our toy!!!  2005 yamaha roadstar midnight.

Ianab

I ended up doing a bit of self teach motorbike work yesterday....  ::)

One of our clients is a bike and accessory importer and has bought some new bikes into the country, and the diagnostic software to tune them. But he couldn't talk to the bikes onboard computer from his laptop. Instructions had been translated from Italian so they weren't all that clear. We got it sorted in the end though  ;D

Nice bikes he's selling too.

http://www.motomorini.com/lemoto_corsaro.asp

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

Those look good but I no speaka da italiano either :D :D